BofA rant | FerrariChat

BofA rant

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by hdpt00, Jan 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I just checked my online banking... overdraft interest charge... wtf.. my balance is almost the FDIC limit...

I call them up... tell them nothing was pending when I checked online banking and transferred some $ to my personal account from business. Well, apparently there is the fund available for transfer and then cleared funds. Online shows funds available, that doesn't mean a check is cleared yet. I thought that is what pending transactions meant? Nope! Either way though, my balance would have covered any transfers.

They gave me some claim number to recoup my $11 interest charge and I will find out soon if I get a refund or a detailed explanation. If I don't get a refund I will threaten to cancel my account (which I will be doing anyways as my business merges into a new corporation).

Things like this piss me off, they aren't taking my $11.

Can anyone recommend a better bank for a business account in the meantime?

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If it's a sizeable amount which it sounds like it is I'm sure they will refund the $11 rather than lose the account.

4. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    We shall see. I'll update this when I hear back. I was expecting a refund immediately on the phone. Either way, I need recommendations for other banks that handle business accounts well.

5. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I've been happy with Washington Mutual. I would have my business account at my credit union if I could, but they don't handle business accounts. My Credit Union (Financial Partners) has provided me with some of the best personal relationship banking of any institution I've done business with.

6. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    I hate BofA. Wachovia has great customer service and I have never had an issue with them.

Antony

7. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I bank at a small local bank. Never been charged fees for anything and everyone there knows me by first name.

Screw national banks.

8. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

9. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Funny this should come up, I closed my BofA account last week. Time to go with a somewhat local bank (BB&T).

10. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have been happy with Chase. The branches local to me have people that actually remember my name...can you believe it?

11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't start me on BOA right now. I'm $-360 overdrawn because their ****ing transfer thing didn't work and its still telling me i don't have enouhg $$ in my other account to make the transfer which is completely untue. I'm overdrawn because i set up a credit card payment the day after THEY TOLD ME the transfer would go through

12. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Good thing I saw this thread, I am about to close a Chase account and was going to transfer to BoA, but I wanted to go to WaMu instead, so that is where I will be going.

13. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    BofA = BANK OF HELL!! Cancelled them years ago the all the games mentioned above. I too am having zero problems with the smaller local bank.

14. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good. Avoid BOA at all costs

I will be switching to Whachovia tomorrow

15. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I hate b of a also,I had a checking and savings with a large amount of money,well after six months I couldn't get the check book to balance and they where taking money out of the savings for no reason,I went in and they couldn't explain where the money went to,about $300,I said I want to close my acount,the manager says whats the problem,I want to close my account,she says what can we do to keep you,give me the money thats missing,she says we can't do that,then I'm closing,the teller at the bank says that three other people that closed their account that day same problem and the day before,so I think It's a practice that they take money out of your account and theres nothing you can prove,and that bank isn't even a american bank,my money is now in three other banks,and in 8 years no issues,good luck

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Never had a problem with BoA. They'll give you your $11. You just have to stay on top of them like every other co. these days.

17. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Thing is there will eventually be a class action suit, BoA will be required to pay only a portion of it back and the lawyers will get most of it. You'll still be out of your money, they will not have to admit to any wrongdoing and the lawyers get a new F-car. That's the American way, you know. :)

RMX

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have been with BoA for 10+ years (Nations Bank) and never major problems except can never talk to real person and when you do it’s the wrong person. Any large company seems to be like that these days.

Anyone have a personal banker? If you have the "bank", then a personalized banker seems the way to go.

19. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    one of the banks I bank with is union bank of california, i was at a sports store and buying a treadmill for the wife for christmas and called the bank to see if I had enough in the checking befor I do a debit on the card,well I was $500 short,so over the phone talking to one of the tellers that knows me,we did a transfer of funds from one of the savings account and transfered $600 that instent it was done,thats the bank everyone wants,like you own it

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I used TD BankNorth. I used to be with a local bank but BankNorth bought them and TD bought BankNorth. As they have grown the service has gotten much worse and the fees have gotten higher.

I once got hit with over $1200 in overdrafts because they failed to setup the auto-pull from my savings to checking. I only keep enough in my checking for what I know I have outstanding in checks. Well, one time I wanted to make a large spur-of-the-moment purchase after the branch was closed, so I called the 800#, I was told they had set up the auto-pull and if I made a charge that exceeded my checking balance it would auto-withdraw from savings. I made the charge - left with my item. Then I check my balance after the 3-day weekend to see well over $1k in fees. They charged me $37 for paying a $6 US Postal mailing and they charged me $37 for taking out $20 in cash and $37 for the $1.50 foreign ATM fee. They told me "the rep on the phone never should have said the auto-transfer takes effect immediately, it takes a few hours". Not my problem - and it took a huge battle to fix it.

And that's just the start. They have screwed me tons of times. I looked into other banks and really none of them are any better. The only thing you can do is go with a small local bank/credit union and use them instead of the big guys. They offer better service and lower fees and that's how they compete with the big guys. Your only problem becomes what to do if they get bought - you may wind up jumping ship very often if they keep getting bought up.

21. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My dad had a BofA credit card for years. When I took over his finances his interest rate was 25% or so. Fortunately he had, I continued to pay his balance off every month. When he passed away, I called & notified them, and paid off his balance. Even sent them a copy of the death certificate at their request.

20 or so days later I got a bill for $30-50 for his annual fee! This AFTER I called and cancelled his account! Took 3-4 calls before I got this fee cancelled. 6 months later, I get a 'pre-approved' letter for a new CC for him. Idiots.

22. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    you know b of a stands for bunch of a***s,thats my view,every time I get a preapproved credit card it goes in the shreader