Paint overspray question..... | FerrariChat

Paint overspray question.....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 05F430F1, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I have a car that was painted in a spot and black overspray got on the rubber gasket around the windshield.... its just a small area so it just made the back gasket/seal shiny in that spot. What product if any should I use to remove it without it getting all gummy or sratching the gasket/seal? Where would I get it?

Also, on my Ferrari, a bit of wax got on the black plastic pice where the side mirror mounts..... what product do I use to remove that? (back to black?) what else?

Thx guys. Also, for the titanium tailpipes on the 430, is there a polish? My last 430 turned kind of goldish, I like the silverish finish on my new 430 and would like to keep it that color. Possible?

2. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    When that happened to me I just used a little paint thinner. For the wax problem use wax blaster http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Todd:
    If the overspray was catalyzed urethane you probably will not be able to "cut" it with a solvent. Probably the most volatile solvent to try would be lacquer thinner.
    Sometimes you can scrape paint off rubber with a razor blade.
    A more risky approach would be to mask the painted are by putting aluminum foil tape on the paint and then apply paint stripper on the overspray with a small paint brush.

Mark

4. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    As for the wax on the plastic - you got it: Mother's Back-to-Black and a microfiber towel will work. The Back-to-Black will emulsify the wax and the microfiber will help to get to the pores in the plastic your fingers can't get into.

As for the titanium exhaust turning a golden color (or even blue)... that's a function of heat and titanium. You won't be able to polish that out. If you like a silver finish on the tail pipe, you may need to ceramic coat the tailpipes.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Paint on the rubber is sometimes a tough one, however, your car is new enough so that the windshield rubber is most likely a urethane adhesive which should stand up to lacquer thinner & paint stripper. I'd try gently scraping with a razor blade first.There's a good chance that the paint isn't bonded to the rubber & will easily flake off. If it's bonded, then most likely that's not urethane adhesive, so lacquer thinner, paint stripper, etc. might attack it. Best to try a spot somewhere unobtrusive first.

6. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    tyty guys still confused about the paint on seal tho.. its not the Ferrari by the way but it is an 07 car. wont scrape with razor so i need a solvent

7. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    thx guys, the laquer thinner seemed to work perfectly, removed the paint quickly and seemingly no damage to the gasket/seal.... I wet it down after I was done to dilute residue so I hope that worked and no future damage will occur to the seal.

The back to black didnt work for **** to get the wax out of the plastic piece but I will keep applying it... I tried to buy the waxblaster stuff from the link but it wouldnt work right so i gave up.... thx again guys. As for the tailpipes, F it, we'll go with the grunge look and let em blue and gold away.

8. 275GTB-2

275GTB-2 Rookie
    BANNED

May 30, 2006
    I like to use a product called "seal" made by Zymol on windshield rubber. It does not clean rubber but keeps it looking like new....

9. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mothers Back to Black is worthless in many applications, its worth a try if you have some lying around.....but don't go buy some. I would really clean off the laquer as it can break down the rubber.

Wax blaster from Autogeek is great for the wax on the rubber. What kind of wax was it?

Cheers

10. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    try a cycle shop. look for a product call blu-away. i have used it on chrome pipes many times.

11. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Good advice on the overspray removal...

For the built up wax residue (actually a by product of the solvent's used to soften the wax) use peanut butter.... Yes I'm serious. Apply it on a terry cloth, wipe it on, work it in, and wipe it off. Its a chemical reaction and will safely remove the wax staining...

Awaits brand jokes...

12. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    by the way for anyone else with overspray prob on rubber seals/mouldings.... I applied a VERY small amount onto a blue auto paper towel and just wiped back and forth. It broke down quickly and after it was all gone, I hit it with soap and water on a sponge and soaked it to dilute and clean any residue. Then dried. Seal is perfect. (hope it doesnt break down in future but it looks perfect now)

The back to Black didnt seem to work but i went down to the car just now and somehow it seemed to get much better. Its just one tiny spot where the side mirror mounts to 430. I can barely see it now but will follow it up with some Skippy Creamy tomorrow. As if the neighbors dont already think i am nuts.....

13. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have been using Turtle wax Ice, spray detailer on the black, and it leaves no residue.