Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by azboater, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azboater

azboater Karting

Jan 27, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Good morning, I believe this will be my first? post after "lurking" for a while, I hope to join the ranks as an owner in the near future, but I am not in a position yet to do so, & I am trying to educate myself with all the knowledge in these forums, but if anyone can help with a question : is it true that the 246 never had any Ferrari badges attached from the factory? The several wonderful restored 246 examples I see for sale on various sites do seem to have a "Ferrari" badge on the rear of the car, what are your thoughts on wonderful restorations with an aftermarket addition if this is so? does it ruin the "purity" of the car? I appreciate this forum for my beginning education very much!

Nick

2. lgrf50

lgrf50 Formula 3

Jan 18, 2005
    246 never had the ferrari script on it, nor prancing horse horn buttons, or wheel discs, they both said Dino.

Owners chose to put these emblems on the cars
    ciao'

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dealers put them on too.

I've seen plenty of vintage photos with the FERRARI across the back of the car, and claims that they were dealer optioned that way to help sell them.

DM

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

While there generally is no Ferrari badging on the outside of a Dino, Ferrari chassis plates and other Ferrari tags appear inside the car - for example, on US Dinos, a Ferrari ID tag appears on the driver's side in the sill/rear door pillar area near the door latch that has the model information, chassis number, build date, and other information. In the engine bay there is another Ferrari tag. Thus, in some sense, it is not true that there is no Ferrari identification attached to the Dino.

In my opinion, whether a particular Dino has or doesn't have a Ferrari badge on the outside of the car doesn't affect that car's purity. You'd probably get deductions at formal concours for having Ferrari badges or nameplates on the outside because it they weren't "factory correct," but so what? It is simply a matter of choice. I don't have them on the outside of my car, but as long as you don't completely wreck your own Dino with a bad installation, it wouldn't particularly bother me if you did it to your car. Just don't do it to mine! :)

Mark

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Intersting 1st post

My 246 was fitted with the prancing horse and ferrari logo across the number plate by Maranello UK. I have photographic proof as i have the original photo of the car from new. So its not quite "pure" from when it left the factory in 1973 but had them fitted by Ferrari UK 1 month later.

i personally like them, others dont. It's all a matter of opinion.

Some purists scorn at it and some even say it isn't a "true" Ferrari. Dont listen to them, the Dino was the forerunner to the 308GT4, 308GTB,328,348,355 en all. It's a Ferrari through and through.

Cheers

Tony

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I have heard stories of Ferrari nameplates being fitted to Dinos by the factory at owners' requests, but I have no idea whether or not this is true.

7. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    All 246 Dinos sold in the U.K had Ferrari script and a prancing horse installed by Maranello concessions the official agent before they left the showroom.Also if you picked up your car from the factory personally they would actually put the badges on for you.Like so many things with Ferrari whilst many of these things were generally true there were lots of exceptions. like the wing mirror debate ,which if you search this section you will find photos of cars in the factory with at least 3 diffrent styles of mirror fitted when people will tell you they never had mirrors.Its Ferrari we love them so who really cares. I would say though use the search facility on here it will answer most of your questions as a lot of these things have been discussed to death and there are a few grumpy buggers on here who love to tell you they are smarter than you. But in my experience most of the folks on here are really helpfull and dont mind us asking anything, even if later you realise it wasnt the brightest of things to put out there ( I know i did) welcome and i hope one day you get to own on of these funny little cars.

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    US Dinos had no Ferrari except on nameplate inside driver's door. There it was loud and clear. My reason for adding the Ferrari script on the rear is explained in my Dino Saga:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179363&highlight=parking+feedback
    I imagine many owners had the same motivation. Welcome and ask many questions. Dinos are special cars that spawned the whole series of Ferrari rear engined cars. Fun to talk about them. Better to drive them every day.
    John

9. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #9 4redno, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The wall separating the engine compartment and the trunk on some Dinos has a prancing horse ID plate on it as mentioned above. See the attached photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. azboater

azboater Karting

Jan 27, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks to all who have contributed so far, I appreciate it! I believe the 246 is artwork in motion!

Regards to all!

Nick

11. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    The different mirrors is true and even different toolkits coming from factory,sometimes late 1974 dinos were badged ferrari on rear by concessionaries .206gt definetly never ever had ferrari written on it!

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    keith,

this isn't a common name plate on the 246. i can't speak for the 206, or how common it is/was, but i know that i haven't seen any in person with type of plate.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    john,

the ferrari horse and name appears in several other places on the car other than the door plate. although i have never seen any documented car come from the factory with ferrari badges externally, they do exist "inside" the dino areas

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i couldn't agree more, i wouldn't add one to my car, but i wouldn't go way out of my way to remove one either. i know of at least one dino owner here in texas that a good portion of his car repainted to have it removed. i love the passion, but think the reason was a little on the "purist" side.

15. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Our car was purchased from H.R. Owen (London) in the spring of '74. It has no Ferrari badging. Perhaps Maranello Concessionaires did not apply them to cars that were delivered to other dealers (as opposed to ones that they sold retail). It's certainly a fact that a lot of UK Dinos have the Ferrari badging.

16. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Keith,

my 71 Euro GT (01296) has this badge on the firewall as shown in your picture from the owners manual. I think the early cars had them.

Pietro

17. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    My 71 euro Gt (02058) also has the same bulk head badge maybe it was just a Euro thing. Also as far as i know they dont normally have the badges on the door jams like the U.S ones.

18. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I believe I've told this story before but it's worth retelling as it relates directly to this question. A friend of mine bought a 1970 "L" series 246GT new and picked it up at the factory on his honeymoon in 1970. While there, he asked them to put the Ferrari name badge (the word "Ferrari", not the prancing horse) on the trunk lid and they obliged - no problems. So, at least one Dino had the Ferrari name badge on it but it was not standard issue.

...Keith

19. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Keith- Assume this is a picture of/from your car. My 69 L-series has the identical bulkhead plate.

20. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Actual, it's an image from the owners manual. That being said, my car has the same plate in the same location.

21. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    My, '70 "L" has the same plate, so I agree it must be a Euro thing.

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

After reading these posts one would assume that it was not the factory standard or practice to put Ferrari script or badges on the cars, but they did use their standard plates to ID the cars, makes sense. In rare cases the factory put one on at some special request which was outside the normal practice. The real argument is whether it was proper for the dealers to put all of this script on. I would say it is not, and here is why. If you go to a car show and see a Camero or Mustang and there is a dealer badge on it from a Nebraska or New Jersey is that factory installed???? It seems to me the Ferrari dealers were trying to make these cars a little more "Ferrari" in the eyes of the customer. I wonder if the dealers put the badges on immediately when the car came into the dealership or after the car was purchased? I have heard other stories of dealers repainting brand new cars and replacing complete interiors to meet customer expectations.

Does the parts manual for these cars show the badge or script?

23. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    My 72 GT has "FERRARI" on top of rear trunk lid. Someone else put it there but when I repainted the lid I left it because I like it. It adds to the car I think and heck who the heck made it anyway.

24. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    As far as I recall the 'Dino" badge on the front of the 308GT4s were being replaced with Ferrari prancing horse bages on all cars prior to hitting the show rooms here in the US... in an effort to improve their "appeal". Select body shops were in charge of doing the modfications...

Pietro

25. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

There you go! For all of you who miss the prancing horse on your Dino, assuming adding Ferrari script isn't enough, take your hood/bonnet to a body shop and have them graft a Cavalino Rampante to it in place of the Dino badge.

BTW, the horse isn't prancing, it is in a position, rampante in Italian, and in English, rampant, which is derrived from Old French "ramper" - rear up. Here's an additional historical footnote. Horses were used as tanks in warfare before the development of tanks proper. They were specially bred and trained to attack foot soldiers by kicking out and rearing, and by assuming defensive and offensive positions. A partial list of positiions and manuevers (the "airs above ground") include Mezair, Courbette, Levade, and Capriole. The horses most commonly associated with these battle techniques and tactics are Lipizzans and the ancestral Spanish Andalusians. Get kicked by one of those that has been properly trained, and you're dead.