Gotta Be Patient | FerrariChat

Gotta Be Patient

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rv5, Jan 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    Well Ive been at it for a month and I have no solid leads. I guess its time to settle down for the long haul. Obviously finding the perfect car is going to take some time. Im pretty sure Ill find the right one eventually, but you ever notice when youre searching you get this fear in the back of your head that somehow all the good ones will stop coming up for sale the day you decide to buy? On the other hand, the timing is on my side. Were (US that is) in a bit of a recession, dollar is worth as much as it used to be, and its winter, all meaning people are less likely to buy toys, and infact may be trying to sell them to maintain a lifestyle. So keeping my fingers crossed, but if any of you have a lead on a 8 or 9 out of 10 well cared for and maintained 84-85 red/tan be sure to let me know!

2. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds like my car, It took me 6 months to find mine. I think that's about typical for a nice 308qv.
    Be patient, she's out there waiting for you to find her.
    (if you can wait until May, mine "might" be available, I'm thinking about a glass project car)

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    You are right about being out of season, however if you want a deal and a great car it will be a long road. IMHO, if you find the car you want, pay what it takes to get it. In the end the extra cash won't make a difference and you will have your car.
    Happy hunting,
    dave

4. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #4 rfking, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I spent a year looking at Mondials from Seattle to Atlanta until I found my Ferrari daily driver - what a wonderful experience!

I was originally looking for a black/tan model, but the right Red/Tan came along and the rest is history.

My grandchildren will enjoy it as much as I do I can tell you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. Took me ~11 months to find my '87 328, mostly because I wanted black met/tan.

Most of the 308 QVs are red/tan, so that works in your favor. Keep checking FerrariAds here and call Motorcars Int'l in Springfield, MO. They rarely handle 308s (usually 328s), but sometimes they know where to find them.

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    It took me close to 1 year to find what I was looking for. Went from looking for a 308QV to a 328 in the process on account of the crappy condition that all of the 308's I looked at were at. Lot's and lot's of dogs out there, regardless of color, model or location. You just have to be patient. With only one or two exceptions, dealers were fairly useless in my search. I'd leave my contact information, etc. and never heard back even when I saw adds from their dealerships selling what I had asked for. That simply means you have to do most of your own search, which I actually found to be a fun thing. Just don't loose your patience. You will find the right car. I ended up paying a bit more than I originally wanted to, but it was the best 328 on the market during the period I was looking that I found. Good luck to you.

Alberto

7. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    yeah the journey can be fun too. i just hope my search area is wide enough. i try to hit some of the most obvious sites a couple times a week, so we'll see. at this point im snooping out every lead, so if anyone knows any, point them my way! i said 84-85, but im looking at 328s too.

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Several people have said the same thing about how fun it is to hunt for a car but frankly I hate it. Especially when you read all about so many dogs out there. A higher asking price isn't a garantee for a good one and neither is it when it's for sale by a dealer. Some people have advised to buy from a private party but most cars advertised here are with non-private parties.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Join FCA...read Newsletter...find well loved car....live happily ever after......

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Ferrari hunting is just the same as hunting for a mate.... don't EVER settle for a fixer-upper...

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And go for a few test drives.

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    All the way

13. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Unless you enjoy doing the work yourself. Having the work done by most shops to bring a car up to a decent standard can be expensive. But if you enjoy doing the work and are capable, getting a fairly good car that needs some TLC is not that daunting a task, and it's a lot of fun. But, what you don't want is one of those POS rust bucket, needs major restoration cars, no matter how cheap it is. Get one that is in good running order and if possible has a recent, fully-documents major service. The money you spend will easily be off-set by the cost you'd otherwise have to put out to have that work done professionally.

14. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    unfortunately easier said than done. not like i have to say to you guys, but it aint like going to the corner honda dealer and asking to take a civic for a spin. in a month ive only found one within reasonable distance.

15. stcloud

stcloud Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I am about 4 months into my searcch for a Mondial. I have just now started to find some good examples that I am willing to travel. I have to say that F-Chat has been amazing....

Several people have been helping me from everything to basic questions to one member planning on going to a dealer to do a visual inspection. I just can't thank these people enough!

Since I travel quite a bit for my job, when I get to the cities where these guys are, will have to dip into my "Beer for F-advice" fund :)

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Go to the next Ferrari Owners Club event. You will have more Ferrari discussion than you can stand, and probably at least get a ride if you approach it the right way. Also, there's no pressure because you're not buying.

FOC is also a good way to find cars for sale. I get emails periodically from our regional guy in charge when people have cars for sale.