Skip Barber on Ferrari Legends and Passion on Speed TV 12/17 | FerrariChat

Skip Barber on Ferrari Legends and Passion on Speed TV 12/17

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bjm, Dec 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Anyone see Skip Barber(wearing a SB racing school shirt) being interviewed by Alain De Cadenet on trhe 12/17 episode. I couldnt believe how much of an ****** Skip was to Alain who seems like a very decent chap with a genuine interest in all things Ferrari and the sport in general. Talk about bad PR for your brand!

Basically Skip sold his Ferrari race car and got some huge(like 3m+) sum for it and Alain was interviewing him and trying to get some info on the car and its history etc....pretty standard stuff.

Anyway Skip is being ****** with yes and no answers and Alain trying to get the conversation going says words to the effect, I rememeber racing against your car at Lemans in the early 70's and Skip answers back with a sneer and says yes I am sure you got a good look at it as it kept lapping you.

I couldnt believe how much of an ****** he was being. I have done a lot of Skip Barber events over the years and I was dissapointed to see him act like this. Those that know him, is that his personality?

2. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Yeah i remember seeing that too. But who care's, honestly, unless the car's aren't in the picture i don't really pay that much attention to what anyone has to say. It's just filler imo.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I did a Skippy school, and several of the staff members were A-Holes. They acted like they were pedigree drivers whose presence should have left us in awe. Perhaps that's an atmosphere that trickled down from the top. That said, some of them were really nice.

4. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have done a bunch of Skippy Schools and a SB race event all at LimeRock, CT and All the staff have been nothing but freindly and extremly helpful..Where did you have your bad experience?

SB himself has not been directly involved with the school for a few years, as he sold the school to a private equity firm I believe.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In talking to the Skippy instructors at Laguana, the message was that Skip Barber is a man of few words. So if he was brief with the interviewer, that is just the way he is.

BTW, all the instructors were great!

Dale

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I did a Skippy School eons ago.
    Most school staff drivers have The Ego. They are just missing The Goods.
    NASCAR Experience staff at Texas Motor Speedway gets the ****** crown, trophy, and ribbon.

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Dorsey Schrader was my first Skip Barber driving instructor at Texas World Speedway way back in the 80's. Terry Earwood also rode in the car with me for a few laps. Both were great guys. Dorsey was funny as could be and kept me laughing most of the time........Never met the Skip Master so i cannot say about him.

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #8 AnotherDunneDeal, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cars we were driving at the first school I attended.

E30 M3 and M5

First photo is an exact duplicate of my first M3, a Henna Red one. 193 HP DOHC Inline 4, 2.3 liters. Put out 83.91 HP per liter. It was the highest output per liter for a production car at the time. One of the most fun cars I have ever driven. I wish I had it back.

Second photo is of the Inline 6 from the M5. Separate throttle plates for each cylinder and roller bearing throttle linkage. Late 80's. Pretty advanced for the time. The clutch disintegrated that day so we had little time to drive it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I love too take the instructor's to school so to speak especially the one's with the huge ego's. I never did a driving school but I was very consistant at demolishing lap time's in kart's against those with 95% more experience. It's like dancing as the women I know have alway's said that they can tell a 'schooled dancer' from a 'natural', some of us have it and some dont.

I did not get the ****** attitude from Skip during that interview but would have enjoyed more of a 'playfull or enjoyable' banter session from him.

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I was kinda surprised that he responded the way he did as well, but Alain was enough of a Gentleman to handle it properly.

11. MontinolaRacing

MontinolaRacing Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    Bay Area,CA
    Full Name:
    Robbie Montinola
    i'm a skippy instructor and we also don't like instructors with big egos... as you can see it makes all of us look bad!

Robbie

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I too was surprised by the "SB" T-shirt and attitude during the interview. This is my first time seeing or hearing from the man and he did a terrible job of representing himself. Remember, first impression last a loooooooong time!

Alain, handled himself as a gentlemen as always. Pretty good series, looking forward to the next one, he will be driving the F40 and something else special as well.

Robert

13. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Any idea when the next one is scheduled?