True Cost of Ownership on F50 & Enzo | FerrariChat

True Cost of Ownership on F50 & Enzo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by DodgeViper01, Jan 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I have always wondered on these cars, what does a Clutch job or Brake job cost on them? Just something that I always wanted to know for personal reference.

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The major on my F50, excluding replacement of the fuel bladders was $7,500.
    Thankfully that is all the maintenance it has required in 6,600 miles

3. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for the info. That is not bad compared to the value of the car. I was just taken back when I read an auction listing for an F50 a few months back where the 10 year major was more than $100,000! That was a bit of sticker shock. I just wanted to find out if that was "normal".

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

What the!!! :eek::eek:

5. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I can't see how you could possibly need to spend that much on the car after 10 years unless it was majorly screwed up.

>8^)
    ER

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did you go for OEM Fuel bladders/sponges or aftermarket?

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Basic maintanence on the F50 isn't particularly expensive. However, parts can be extremely expensive so if anything out of the ordinary crops up it can hurt. For example, the rear perspex panel can crack and is relatively easily scratched. The replacement cost is an eye popping $18k, which is just insane. I did a clutch replacement on my car and from memory the parts were about $5k and it wasn't a huge job, so not that bad really. So costs can vary.

8. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Is the instrument cluster as bad as it's been made out to be, both in cost and reliability/longevity?

9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mine works as well as it ever has, which isn't that great. It isn't particularly bright and is hard to read in bright sunlight- even on the maximum brightness of "30".
    They can be repaired in America for much less than Italy and in a fraction of the time should they fail.

10. bgck13

bgck13 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Somewhere
    Some of the outrageous prices on parts can be justified IMO...

If you recall the GenII vipers (and yes Gen I, but they are weak), the cost to replace a clamshell hood, from what I have hear read, ranged from $12k up to over $20k, depending on painted/prepped/and where you got it. That is on a $90k car. Now $18k, or $6k, etc. on a $500k car actually seems semi-"reasonable."

Now as for the part prices on cheapo exotics (i.e. gallardo, 360, 430), IMHO, they are outrageous. Brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, injectors, etc. are all ridiculously overpriced and can be had from alternate vendors for a fraction of the price (and possible quality)

Just my 2 cents

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

At that price, I would just have a mould made and manufacturer a dozen of them, replace at will or sell to other F50 owners.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

14. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    If that's true then there's several hundred people driving around in "broken" cars. I'm sure they're sorely disappointed. ;)

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just repeating what Ferrari tech Rifledriver was saying. Now, it doesn't mean that in ten years it's going to disintegrate, or even that it will likely fail in ten years. However, it appears that the factory set that to be the schedule, and if they did, you can bet that will be presented as a defense to any claims: that they set them to be replaced in 10 year intervals and if you didn't then you weren't following the "scheduled maintenance."

16. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Between the tub and the fuel bladder one could become woozy from all the zeros on the check! ;)

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There has NEVER been a technical bulletin issued on "tub replacement" every 10yrs, hence my comment- Utter nonsense.

18. jelpspeed

jelpspeed Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Full Name:
    Ever Lopez
    and how about the Enzo? I hear that brake service cost around $25k, is it true? can you share more info on the maintenance price for this car?

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The Enzo, lol. Don't know the price on the Enzo when the replacement time comes up, but a Challenge Stradale or any F430 with carbon ceramics you're gonna pay close to $30k.

20. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    IIRC, your quoted price is for the pads and rotors. I could be wrong. The rotors are supposed to last for the "life" of the car, but I don't quite understand the stipulations behind this as I've heard of several people going through them at least once. I've also heard that a lot of people don't cool them off as they should either.

The only qualm I would have about "maintenance" on an Enzo is that it's still relatively new and there could be a few more bugs that haven't surfaced on top of the ones that they're still figuring out. From what I've heard, it's not too different than a typical Ferrari. This means take care of it, follow the scheduled maintenance, which is expensive anyway, and calculate for the "surprises" that you will inevitably run into along the way. Then again I don't own one, so don't take me too literally. :)

You're gonna run into some serious money for "maintenance" at some point, that much you can bank on.

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    They said that it should last the life of the car or so many heat cycles. It is said that in any type of street driving will not generate enough heat as to reach a single heat cycle of track driving and thats why they should last the life of the car. That is what the dealer told me, but I don't believe it, any kind of friction at braking will deteriorate the rotors over time.