How to remove the upholstery from a GTS roof? | FerrariChat

How to remove the upholstery from a GTS roof?

Discussion in '348/355' started by i_love_cph, Jan 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. i_love_cph

i_love_cph Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    MONACO
    #1 i_love_cph, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anybody know how the upholstery is attached to the roof? I would like to take it out and get it recovered with black leather.

Thanks everybody.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If you are talking about the outside of the top, it's not covered. It's fiberglass stamped with a "leather" looking pattern. If you want to freshen up the look and still keep it "stock", the best you can do it get it repainted black. Or do as I did and, sand the stamped pattern off, then have it painted to match the body.

3. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ernie, I believe he's referring to the 2 square fabric covered panels stuck to the underside of the top panel. (inside the car) #15 in the diagram

And a good question, I had my top sanded and painted, and the dull tan material up there looks like ****... I thought of recovering it too, but never got around to investigating now its attached... but if I had to wager a guess, i'd say those peices are just glued on.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well if he is talking about the underside, then they are just glued on. At least that's how mine are attached.

5. i_love_cph

i_love_cph Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    MONACO
    Yes it's #15 i'm talking about.

Thanks ernie!

I will post pictures of the result.

6. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman

Please do. As much as I want to keep my 348 mostly original - that OEM material is ugly. I would not mind redoing it to look more in tune with the rest of the car. Post some pictures of the OEM pieces as you are taking them off etc.

Rodney Dickman
    1990 348 TS

7. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Related to this, is there a way to take the top apart? I have something in there that sounds like a pebble that is rattling every time I brake, you can hear go from one end to another.

I

8. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nope, its 1 solid (but hollow) piece. There may be openings under the those material pieces, but I dont know, I havnt removed them yet.
    You could try to remove one of the bullet pins and see if whatever is in there will fall out thru the hole. Those pins have a hex on them, so I assume they can be unscrewed... but again, I have never removed them.

9. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    #15 looks like the sunshield to me

am I wrong???

//B//

10. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    That is a good idea. I notice that the latches are bolted on, I'm afraid that what I hear is a nut from the other side of the latch bolt that came loose... but then again, if the thing can't be open, how could they have held the nut in place to screw in the latches.....

11. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought maybe the same... but no matter, were all on the same page of what part he was referring too.

There may be brass inserts in there... doesn't make sense that there would be a nut on the back... how would you get to it?
    I do know that the rain rails and trim on the sides are held on by screws right into the plastic, and pop-rivets.
    Its safe to assume that if anything is attached with a bolt thread, there would be threaded bungs molded into the plastic. Or perhaps a solid square plate with threaded holes in it.

12. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    I redid mine with leather to match the tan interior a year ago.
    Yes the cloth panels are glued in and reasonably easy to remove. I would suggest you take care when you remove the cloth lining as there is a foam type of sound deadening or insulation material covering a rigid plastic sheet between the cloth and the roof panel. You will want this for reinstallation and I couldn't find anything similar to replace the original. The adhesive will come off with, I think, mineral spirits. Anyway it may have been another common solvent like denatured alcohol, I don't remember, but it just takes ventilation and patience. When the new covered panels were glued in place I used some heavy bags of sand to fully cover and provide pressure on the panels. Its been over a year and to date they aren't sagging so i guess it worked. Good luck

13. i_love_cph

i_love_cph Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    MONACO
    Thanks BobH. Is it possible for you to post some pictures of the final result?

14. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    The parts manual lists those as available in cloth or leather, so keeping a factory look shouldn't be a problem?

15. i_love_cph

i_love_cph Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    MONACO
    Link please : )

16. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
  17. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    #17 BobH, Jan 11, 2008
    Sory for the delay in response but I wasn't around. Here is a snapshot of the interior and the roof panel. The seats look different in color I assume beacuse of the flash angle. The car is under a car cover in hibernation so I only pulled off the driver side to take the picture. I like the look and the new leather smell is a plus.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. i_love_cph

i_love_cph Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    MONACO
    #18 i_love_cph, Feb 1, 2008