Ferrari Maintenance Figures | FerrariChat

Ferrari Maintenance Figures

Discussion in '360/430' started by the.santorini, Dec 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the.santorini

the.santorini Rookie

Aug 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Alan
    For the current owners out there: what do you estimate your annual maintenance figures are for your 360 and/or 430? Tires, brakes, maintenance intervals, etc....

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    360 was $1.00 per mile, drove about 10k per year. The 430 should be lower, say .50/mile because of the no belt service issue. Plane is probably closer to $1.00 mile, so the Ferrari is about as expensive as the plane for maintenace, but the Ferrari gets a lot better mileage.

Art

3. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    If you really have to consider these things, a Ferrari might be a bad choice. I can say the 355 is more expensive to maintain than the 360, from the info I have read, and it appears the 430 will be cheaper then the 360 (no belt service) unless some odd things start popping up with them. That said, these cars are not Honda's, and cost more to service than any "normal" car. It's also really hard for anyone to answer since mileage, how the car is driven (if it's tracked, etc.) will all affect the normal service costs. Then if you look at the cost of the CCB components if so equipped, that's another big jump in costs over the normal brakes.

4. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I get the feeling we have gone through this before in several different formats the search facility should give you lots of info.

5. the.santorini

the.santorini Rookie

Aug 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I am just curious as to the underlying expense of these cars. I see them all the time and all I ever hear is the owners talking about the purchase price and added extras. Nobody ever talks about the long term cost of maintenance. Maybe they haven't considered it because I know some of them aren't loaded to a point they can blow off 250K and not notice it's gone from their bank account. But like you said shumdit, if you have to think about it, it's probably not for you. Personally, I am not in a position to buy one yet, still have many years of dedication to go. Thanks for the feedback Yellow360 and Shumdit.

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    One reason many F owners don't have good recollections or knowledge of yearly maintenance bills is they keep their cars only a short time, drive them little, unload them when they come off warranty. Out of 20 F owners I know, about 75% have owned their cars less than 2 years and have knowledge of costs of, say, one major servicing and a few oil changes. However, one thing is certain: when you do get your F car serviced the bills tend to be 'jaw dropping'.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Service costs for my 430 were about 1500. for 1st two years plus one set of tires and an alignment (app 2K). Car has about 10K on it, so about 35 cents/mile. I've used Pirellis which is probably the most expensive option vs Michelins or Bridgestones. You could put 10K or more per year on the car and reduce maintenance per mile more. All this pales in comparison to depreciation )probably $2/mile).

Dave

8. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have 11000 miles on my 2006 430 Spider which I took delivery in Dec. 2005. Total maintenance cost is $1100 for the 5000 mile oil change and servicing. Also, just replaced the rear tires Pirelli's for $900.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I believe that this is all true Dave. It sounds about right for newer cars.

Older cars, once they are out of warranty, depriciate somewhat slower. I believe an older 360 runs ~$1 per mile for maintenance. Depriciation really depends on how much the person drives. The more they drive the less per mile but the greater the total.

Maintenance is a hard cost, you have to pay as you go. Depriciation is a soft cost, you don't see it until you sell the car. For an older 360 - once you have stepped up to the cost of the car, let go of that money and count on $1 per mile to keep it in top shape.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave

The way I look at it is that there are fixed costs and running costs.

Fixed include: lost income on the tied up money (say 10K/year on a 200K car) or interest if financed. Of course, the 10K is before taxes.
    Insurance which varies by region and driving record.
    Registration and property taxes (if any). I paid 1450. last renewal.
    Depreciation because a modern Ferrari as well as any car depreciates even just sitting there.
    Scheduled maintenance.
    Sales tax amortized over the ownership period.

Conclusion: The cost of owning a 430 is somewhere around 1200./month before you even start the motor.

For the average owner who puts maybe 2500 miles a year on the car, it costs maybe another 6K/year in maintenance, tires and additional depreciation.

Whew.

You are right that it is certainly much cheaper to buy a 3-4 year old Ferrari or Porshce or fill in the blank.

Dave

11. the.santorini

the.santorini Rookie

Aug 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Depreciation seems to be factored into a lot of the cost for you guys. When you buy a new Ferrari, are you buying it with the intention of keeping it or just holding on to it for a little while and later selling it?

Personally, I will collect them one day. I love everything from the 430 Scuderia all the way to the beautiful 1961 Ferrari 250GT California Spyder. Is there anyone on here that collects them now?

12. topsecret

topsecret Rookie

Jul 28, 2007
    How much does it cost to replace the carbon ceramic rotors and brake pads ?

13. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My F360 Spider is currently having the major service (belt, fluids, etc.) and clutch done at 15,000 miles. Total cost at an authorized dealer, close to $10,000. My total cost of ownership maintenance, about $1.25 per mile. From what I've heard, F430's are a little less expensive to maintain.

Tim

14. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max

How much of that would be parts and how much for labour? With my cars out of warranty I try and find a local guy who loves a particular model so I get all the work done at a fraction of the price. Ferrari guys are a bit hard to come by though.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

that seems high for a 360 Tim...the belt is an engine in service...how much of this was for the clutch???With my old 355 spider, the belt service was around 6k, with 2k for other incidentals......of course this 3 year belt service is BS, but thats for another thread!!!!

16. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I take my car to the same place as Tim and my clutch on my 360 was just under $4k. My belt service was about $1,800.

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

if you buy a new 911 or 911 cab,you will cost you about 15k $ a year, which isnt much less than a new 430...which would rather have??? Also , if you can get a 430 spider as msrp, you can drive for a year or so, then sell for more than you bought it for!!! How that for appreciation as opposed to depreciation...I have a friend who buys a new Ferrari each year, drives it 7- 10k miles a year...because he is a preferred Ferrari customer, he gets his cars when he wants and at msrp and sells it back on consigment thru the f car dealership...last 3 years, 430, 43o spider and and now 599..total month cost of driving these cars daily...ZERO dollars...cant beat that!!!

18. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin

How in the world can cost you $15k a year to service a 911? I owned my 911 for 11 years/90k miles (just sold it recently) and spent a total of around $20k for parts to maintaining it religiously, and this is one of the higher cost of ownership older models.

On my newer Porsche I spend $100 on oil change once a year, and whatever service is needed there after. Still way under $500/year no matter what. Unless you go through one clutch a year.........

19. xeviuus

xeviuus Rookie

Jan 8, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    John Won, MD
    A long time ago when I was in college, my roommate's dad who had a Ferrari Testarossa told me that owning Ferrari is like going out with hot italian supermodel. Makes you look good, makes you feel good and you can't get enough of her but she will cost you. But he also said it's worth every penny.
    Last service I had for my 06 F430 was just under $1000. But it's in the ball park with other higher end cars.

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Easy, hit the wall at the track a couple of times ;)

I agree, no way to spend that on a 911 unless you crash it.