77 308--leaking oil drain plug.. | FerrariChat

77 308--leaking oil drain plug..

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Jan 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I recently changed my oil, replaced the oil drain plug crush washer with a proper, exact match new one. The drain plug is now dripping slow drops of oil.
    I torqued the plug properly, so it's not overly tight or loose.. Never leaked before.

Question is, what's a safe sealant to place on the threads of the oil drain plug? Can't think of any other fix...

Thanks,
    Greg

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Teflon pipe thread tape....two or three wraps.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    You'll want to know if there is a dent or debris in the washer or seat.
    You'll want to know if there is debris (or a stripped thread) in the drain plug and/or block threads.
    You'll want to know if your torque method/tool is accurate.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yup, but use the oil/fuel-safe version (there are three types of teflon tape).

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    What is the correct torque setting for the oil pan?

JIM

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for the replies--pretty sure:

A) it's torqued properly, B) no dents in threads or pan threads, C) I took the drain plug out today to inspect, plug and washer look perfect.

I'll find some fuel/oil-safe teflon tape and try that. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the quick numerous responses. FerrariChat is a great community.
    I'm also on a couple Ducati sites, and they have nowhere as much traffic/postings as F-Chat has...

:)

Greg

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Fram made a product that has been discontinued but can still be found on eBay. It's an oil bung that replaces yours, and has a valve mounted in it. When you change the oil, the bung stays in and it goes out the valve through the hose provided. When my Lotus bung started leaking I bought one and it's a really great thing to have! No more worry about stripping threads, and it's even easier to change the oil!

Ken

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Not a good idea on the F-cars. I have used something like that on old Jaguar engines, but the drain plug is mounted on the side of the oil pan, not the bottom. On the F-cars, the oil drain plug is on the bottom. Those bungs with a valve in them stick out about 1/2" or more, depending on design. If something hits the bottom of the pan, it could sheer off the plug and then you are in deep trouble. Better to stick with the original bolt, as it sits almost flush with the bottom of the pan, reducing the risk of damage and potential loss of oil, IMHO.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Greg,

On my '78 308, I have used flat copper washers with good success, rather than the crush washers. I find that the flat washers seal very nicely in that application, and have never needed sealant or tape on the threads. Even with new washers, which I always try to use, I surface them by a few passes in a figure eight on 2000 grit emery paper on a flat surface, both sides. Also, I check the shoulder of the plug and around the drain opening and towel them clean before assembling. I put the washer on, insert the plug, snug it down and torque it, refill and never have so much as a drip. If the plug shoulder is flat, washer is flat and new, and pan is clean and undamaged, the plug should seal without the need for tape on the threads.

Steve

p.s. I always clean the threads on the plug with carb cleaner, and use a lint-free rag in the drain hole to clean the threads before assembly. The draining oil can have a lot of little particles in it that can mess up the threads if you're not careful. But it's the two sides of the washer that make the seal, not the threads.

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I didn't think of that! It's true too; the brass cap is about 1/2" in thickness which is more than the original bung. I'll have to look at my car again and see if I have a clearance issue!

Ken

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Greg I would suggest that you do a very close inspection of the pan , threads and the plug. I have never needed to use teflon tape on a drain plug. Something here is not right. Maybe a cracked pan or some bad threads on either the pan or plug or dirt or debri on the washer. I use flat copper washer that I got from T Rutland at .99 cents each. I bought a dozen a few years ago and have never had a leak (same as my condoms) . So do a close inspection and see what you get before you use teflon tape.

12. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Sorry to hear that the dozen non-leaking condoms have lasted a full year.

13. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I have 11 left. HAHAHHAHAHA

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Kinda agree, I would get a new plug first. I replace my drain plugs every few years on my cars...they tend to get buggered up if you slip with a wrench or whatever...and I notice that a fresh plug always threads in much nicer than an old one. ;)

15. ktmrider

ktmrider Rookie

Oct 30, 2005
    I agree its not the threads , its the washer that contains the oil . ( unless the threads are stripped and the bolt is not tight enough ) Sounds like a small grit particle got in between the washer and the pan or between the washer and the bolt inner face . I use starting fluid to clean threads but only a tiny squirt b/c it is extremely flammable . I re-anneal copper crush washers with a butane torch when I don't have a new one handy .

16. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    I bought a couple of those. They are great. I went to the parts store to look for them and they didn't carry them anymore. Called Fram just to find out where I could get another one, Fram said they don't make them anymore. "Fram Sure Drain", there are a bunch of guys selling them on eBay. I don't know where you can cross-ref for your Ferrari?

17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Both are right on.

The drain plug has straight threads (like a bolt) the job of the threads is to hold the flat sealing washer between the shoulder of the plug and the flat surface of the pan. No sealing is done by the threads. Teflon tape or pipe dope is meant for tapered pipe threads where it is actually the threaded fastener that wedges into the hole, the tape or dope primarily lubricates the threads of this high-friction assembly.

If your plug is leaking there is something preventing the plug, washer and pan surface from meeting in a smooth, parallel fit. It could be a burr on one or more of the surfaces. It is possible that your sealing washer wasn't flat or just a milimeter too big (off-center).

It is also possible that there is a fine crack in the pan that is leaking even though the plug is tight.

18. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you continue to have sealing problems, even if things "look OK" physically, you can try adding a thin film of Loctite PST to both sides of the Cu washer sealing surfaces before installation (not the threads). Available in a lot of forms (stick, tube, jar and in different sizes so sort of a lot of different Loctite numbers) -- just do an internet search on "Loctite PST" -- here's one example (not a vendor I use), but I know it's available in smaller tubes too:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pm-12023-220-loctite-565-pst-thread-sealant-controlled-strength-50-ml-tube-37396.aspx

19. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I bought a bunch of crush washers that have rubber "O" rings built right into them (both sides). I think they were less that $1 each.

Sorry I don't remember the exact size or part number but I have posted this before.

Anyhow the supplier is:
    http://www.hydraulic-supply.com

But their website sucks so I suggest you give them a call.

20. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I just use a flat washer that I got from Ace Hardware. It looks just like the one I took off the first time I changed oil. They didn't have the metric size, so I got a 7/8 ths. The difference in size between the 7/8 and the original is maybe half a milimeter.

Bob Wassam

21. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I didn't know that Rutlands sold condoms.....

Huh, learn something new here ev'ry day!

JIM

:)

22. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Really? Didnt think teflon reacted with anything, including oil.

23. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Get outta here....copper condoms....sheesh. Isnt that kinda too stiff??

24. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    If you look at a crush washer one side is flat and the other is rounded. Always put the flat side against the plug as it has a machined surface. It is less likely that this surface is bunged up. Place the rounded side against the oil pan because it will mate up better to any irregularities in the surface.

25. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Just a little extra support. HAHAHAHA