The "we hate 348's thread" | FerrariChat

The "we hate 348's thread"

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Jan 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Came across this guy a coupel of time. A class A shmuck!!!

He loves to criticise the 348.

Here's his latest attack.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=63&t=482592

His previous attack

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=63&t=393349&i=0

2. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Then there's this journalist

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/feature/9774/3

by Andrew Frankel

"...But only one of all these cars I've mentioned is entirely unworthy of the greatest road car name of all; after all, even an automatic 400i has a certain gentlemanly charm to it. The worst Ferrari I have ever driven is the 348tb. It was quite quick and quite attractive but these more obvious strengths cloaked for only an instant the fact that the car was no damn good to drive. To improve its packaging it had its gearbox slung transversely across the back of the car, which turned the sometimes obstructive Ferrari five-speed gearshift into a thing of piggish obstinacy.

Worse, while other Ferraris were undoubtedly unforgiving on the limit, this one was a sociopath. I once spent a morning at a test track with some very experienced drivers and, in a safe and controlled environment, found out a little more about its behaviour. And we discovered that if you were less than lightning quick with your reactions, there'd be more chance of persuading Margaret Thatcher to vote Labour than stopping the 348 from spinning. It was also hugely expensive.

So that's it. The list is not long, but I'm glad Ferrari has summoned up a few clunkers in its time. The cars may be godlike but the people who make them are only human. Once in a while, even geniuses have their off days."

3. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Love it. Let's drive those prices down - I'm toying around with the idea of getting a Nero TB to compliment my Rossa TS. Shhhhh, don't let the secret out that these can be really great and fun cars with a little elbow grease.

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    In short, the guy's an idiot. Ignorant too. Better for us. :)

5. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Why bother posting it Sy ... they are both very old quotes. He may have posted this morning but it is copied from an older post.

He had a bad one, he was unlucky, he's pissed off. No more, no less. However, he is a fairly decent guy who helps out a lot of us Le Mans goers with info and advice on best places to stay when we go down there :)

Like I said, if he'd bought my or your car Sy he would have been raving about them, he was just unlucky. He has a large part of a wing or bumper from the crash on his garage wall, quite a cool ornament actually :D

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Just what I thought, maybe he got a bad one. I'm kinda curious, any of yis taken yours to speed & duplicated the same feel?

7. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    People rarely take the time to rave and praise anything... but they're very quick to go public when they're pissed!
    Quite often,those rants are embellished and highly exaggerated too. One guy who hits an oil slick and crashes into a wall HARDLY translates to me as ''a dangerous car''... sounds more like a dangerous DRIVER to me!! I'm surprised he didn't bash the tire manufacturer too!
    The rest of that nonsense is simply the opinion of one or 2 people! WHO CARES! You know what they say about opinions....

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Eveyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have to agree with several of his points - the stock 348TB without spacer is a floater over 100 mph and does not instill much confidence when pushing it. The interior parts melt, the slates do crack, the gearbox without proper oil is trucklike, A/C modules go on the fritz, oil pump tensioner needed replacing, cats burn out making the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree... The car had a lot of teething issues which would kill any modern day cars, and was unacceptable the high asking price. The reputation as a poor handling car is deserved considering the lineage as well as the mediocre reliability. If I had bought it new and paid MSRP I would be livid, would consider it a POS and find a way to get rid of it ASAP. The good news is that the "bones" are good and $40K gets you a lot of car if you are willing to overlook the nagging issues, buy spacers and a good alignment.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The Nero Alleanza eagerly awaits your decision.

I agree, you wouldn't find many (any?) modern car buyers who would put up with the usual early 348 issues. I think this group sometimes forgets that you all know a lot more of about them, and have a lot more patience, than the average guy looking for a $40K sports car with a prancing horse on it.

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Jaggie, you might be right regarding the car as a new purchase. I wasn't there so I can only read the history on the model. As far as being a current critique I can only argue the points made previously. The 348 is a lot of car for the money and we are thankful for the prior bashing it received. :p

I have a 1993 model and I would have never considered an earlier model. In fact if it wasn't an SS I would have bought a '93 either. I bought a '94 Spider first on the recommendation of my mechanic who, of course, knew all about the car. It was a good decision.

As for interior melted parts - not common and very fixable. The gearbox? What Ferrari manual likes petroleum based oil?! Easy fix with synthetic. A/C is all about grounding. All minor stuff and easily fixable. Notice there is really nothing regarding the engine itself - bullet proof I tell ya. :)

11. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Thank goodness the brotherhood... and the patience of the brothers that have gone in ($$) harms way before us :)

12. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    You need to own a 348 to appreciate it. Joy rides and track tests can be overtly subjective and misrepresentative.

13. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Can someone explain his comment ...."where they will spend an hour or two taking the dashboard apart to restart your aircon which, after a flat battery, no longer works.". I have had a bad battery and disconnected the batter many times. I never remember having a problem with my A/C afterwards.

14. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dude sounds like a moron

15. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    they say even bad ink is good ink! huh? oh well I must be an idiot I have 2 x 348`s tb/t-coupe

16. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Same here, that whole comment is BS! And for once, I agree with Vince... I have fixed ALL the notorious 348 flaws... most of which the 355 ALSO has! I've done all the work myself and have probably spent a total of about $250 on dumb little parts and misc materials and chemicals. Granted, I should never have had to do ANY of that crap to a $120K car... but at least the resolutions were pretty painless for me AND my wallet.

17. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    #17 burriana, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    er, pardon?

I'll try and answer what i think the question is ... I had my Spider at around 170mph and it felt absolutely fine ... I just ran out of runway before we hit the speed lasers so I couldn't get that extra 400 revs :)

We were also quite happily cruising in Germany at 160mph when me and my mate in his DB9 got pulled by the police! Luckily they only wanted to have a look at the cars and let us on our way after 20 mins :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    No, I'll say again... he's not a moron or a bad guy. He is peed off with his experience but helps out a lot of Le Mans goers who he has only known previously through the forum :)

19. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry Al, if he had a bad one then OK he's pissed off.He's told everyone about it before but then starts that thread yesterday going over it again, just pathetic if you ask me.

20. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    You cant ***** and moan about this stuff. Enzo said your paying for the engine. He threw in the car for free.

21. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    The guy originally pretended that he had a huge problem getting at the battery behind the front wheel and made a long post about how difficult is was and how he was stranded. Turns out it was all made up, his car was apparently an 89/90. Also pretended he had a D-type. Turned out to be a kit car. Went on about how many expensive cars he had so was more qualified, but also kept a car he hated for years before HE crashed it. To START a thread (carefully removing the made up parts he was called on originally) like this is pretty lame IMO - pointless trolling from a sad old man.

22. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Hmm, fair enough. He seemed ok from the Le Mans forum but haven't actually met him in person so prepared to stand corrected :)

You have PM by the way Chris.