Ferrari 365 GTB Daytona Custom Headers and Exhaust | FerrariChat

Ferrari 365 GTB Daytona Custom Headers and Exhaust

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by craigs, Jan 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    #1 craigs, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I posted this in the wrong forum before (365 GT4 2+2/400/412) At the time of the original post I was not familiar with the differences between a 365 GT4 and the 365 GTB Daytona. I now realize that they are two completely different cars, and therefore I am making a new post in the correct forum for all 365 Daytona owners to see.
    I replaced the factory cast headers with a Tri-Y design (6-into-2-into-1) using 304 Stainless tubing and merge collectors from SPD exhaust. The header flanges are also stainless and cnc machined. The stock manifolds featured 1-3/8" primaries however the cylinder heads have a 1-1/2" port, so the choice to step up the exhaust primary size to 1-1/2" was clearly the way to go.
    Once the headers were complete, it was time to fabricate the remainder of the exhaust system. The owner wanted a side exiting exhaust. I was concerned with the noise level that this configuration might produce, but non the less the customer is always right. I chose a pair of Burns stainless race mufflers to help reduce the exhaust note, but have since discovered that they are not really getting the job done, and after talking with a sales rep @ Burns, we have discovered that they are now offering a new muffler design with baffles and chambers that will hopefully deaden the sound. This is one of the reasons I used V-Band clamps in anticipation of any changes.
    Since the customer has received the car, he wants to bring it back to change a few things. One being the mufflers and also the side exiting pipes. I am unsure of exactly what it is he is looking to change at this time until he brings the car back to my shop, but I am hoping I can convince him into let me change to an oval exhaust under the car with the addition of an X-Pipe to help balance system and aleviate the droneing sound. I will post updated pics once I get the car back.

Thanks for looking.

Craig sheffield
    Sheffield Chassis Design
    (850) 896 0904
    [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Lovely craftsmanship, but one wonders why. But, as you say, the customer is always right.

3. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    When someone comes to me with an opportunity like this, the question why doesn't even cross my mind. I am just gratefull for the chance to use my skills and push my ability to the limit, and lets be honest, the factory manifolds look terrible. The decision to go with side pipes definetly wouldn't be my first choice, but sometimes you have to do what is asked of you. They make for a good conversation piece too.

Thanks for looking.

Craig Sheffield
    Sheffield Chassis Design
    (850) 896 0904
    [email protected]

4. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Craig,

What are you, or the customer, going to do with the original USA headers, exhaust, injection rails, etc.?

Steve

5. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Really nice work, thanks for posting

6. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    The customer has all the original take off pieces. I would asume he plans on keeping them in the event he decides to sell the car in the future.

Craig Sheffield
    Sheffield Chassis Design
    (850) 896 0904
    [email protected]