Daytona Distributor Dwell | FerrariChat

Daytona Distributor Dwell

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Drew Altemara, Jan 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have a Euro Daytona which should be running 3 lobe dual point distributors. When I opened it up to set the points and clean the advance mechanism I found out that someone had evidently been there before me and that I had 6 lobe distributors running on a single set of points. I presume these are USA type Daytona distributors with the retard points removed.

The workshop (Angelo Wallace) manual calls for a point gap of 0.35mm or 0.014" and also a dwell of 50 degrees which seems very large. When I set my points to the correct gap the dwell I measure (light and protractor method) is closer to 30 degrees. I was wondering since the manual is written for the Euro Daytona running the 3 lobe distributor with dual points that maybe they were referring to each single point being closed for 50 deg duration. Hence, when correctly set on a 6 lobe single point configuration I should be looking for a 25 deg dwell.

Or am I all wet?

I'm going to post this on the Daytona site as well for Bill Badusrki, who has my distributors currently to rework the advance curve, but thought it would make interesting discussion here.

Drew

2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Hmmmmmmm

Why not come over to the dark side and toss those points in the trash.

I run an Allison optical pickup ignition setup that goes in the factor distributors coupled to dual MSD's. Works like a charm... MUCH better spark than the factory setup and no more messing with points and dwell and all that. Sure helps the car to better burn todays crap fuel blends.

Terry

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I agree with Terry.

This is an easy conversion with no impact on the originality of the engine bay - you just mount the MSD boxes inside the cabin up under the dash and run the wires through the firewall directly behind the distributors.

The engine starts easier, is smoother and of course there's no ongoing maintenance.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I suppose I could switch over to an optical system triggering MSD boxes but as long as the points are maintained and adjusted periodically, which I don't mind doing, I feel comfortable with staying with them. I do like Ian's idea about hiding the boxes under the dash since the Euro cars never had them to begin with.

The real reason I pulled the distributors was because upon inspection the 7-12 side distributor mechanical advance seemed a little "loose" to me when compared with the 1-6 side. So I sent it off to Bill Badurski to recurve and match them to factory spec.

By the way, the fuel these days is in some ways much better than years ago. The biggest downside is lower octane and ethanol which has an affinity for water. As long as the car does not require additional octane and you do not make the advance curve more aggressive than factory spec you are OK. The plus side is that the clean air act of 1990 and subsequent ammendments requires all gasolines to contain port fuel injection detergent (PFID) and intake valve detergent (IVD) to keep the system clean. Plus the climatization of fuels (high vapor pressure during the winter vs. summer and several intermediates steps) is now more highly regulated.

Its mainly the octane and ethanol/oxygenate requirement in certain areas we are all complaining about.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I agree that eliminating points can save trouble in the future however if you've already sent the distributors out for a tune-up they should come back all setup to just bolt back on and set the initial advance.

You could still take advantage of the MSD's which should provide better ignition and longer point life.