Magnum P.I. Season One Intro | FerrariChat

Magnum P.I. Season One Intro

Discussion in '308/328' started by GTHill, Jan 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I'm no where close to the Magnum expert (Bullfighter) but has anyone noticed the intro in (at least) season one? There is a quick shot with the wheel spinning. It's on jack stands or blocks or something. Nothing else is moving and the suspension is unloaded. I just thought it was funny. At least they could have put it on rollers... :)

Gene

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    My favorite is when he unlocks and slides back the top from the driver's seat.
    Dave

3. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I picked up on that too! He even had an odd look on his face when he did it.

4. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Did you notice when he peels off the grass during the opening scenes he shifts to 4th.
    Ian McShane (Deadwood's Al Swearengen) is in Skin Deep and Bllack on White episodes.

Stephen

5. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have all Magnums on tape-have had for years. Now, it is all DVD.

There are too many favorites to count, but a few cool things to watch. In "Echoes of the Mind," check out a young and VERY HOT Sharon Stone.

In the one where Higgins is getting married and the guys are in the strip club drinking, in the background you can see topless girls--on regular TV.

This was TV at its best.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm a rank amateur magnumologist compared to our own Dr. Tommy.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  7. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    my fav magnum scene was when he was cruising in the ferrari going about 20-30 mph. something happened and he needed to scoot out. he downshifts, and then the camera shifts to a full screen shot of the rear tires absolutely shredding with smoke and the whole 9 yards. i love the 308, but i dont think it could shred the tires that much from a stand still, let alone at 30 mph. looked impressive though

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

They pour clorox on the road to make the wheels spin.

9. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Subject says it all.

Stephen

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yep, I do that every time I pull out of my housing development.

11. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Maybe he got an advanced version of Mark's V12 308.

Gene

12. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Do you think Magnum will ever be shown on TV again??? Hear anymore about a Magnum movie??

13. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Magnum PI is shown on Sleuth Television (a cable channel.)

14. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    We could have an entire thread devoted to 308-related goofs in the series.

I just got all of the episodes on Blu Ray and I'm watching them again.

In the pilot alone, Higgins gets in the 308 and "drives away" by pretending to shift into gear. It never gets out of neutral.

Also there is a part where Magnum unlatches the roof, then literally slides it back over the top of the car and out of sight. I guess he has enough of Robin's money to keep buying new targa tops!

15. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    This article by P.J. O'Rourke apparently first appeared in either Car and Driver or Road & Track nearly 40 years ago. I read it nearly 30 years ago in a book that was a compilation of some of O'Rourke's writings. I was a starving grad student at the time, but the 308 was already my dream car.

Now, here is the interesting part. If you read the short story to the very end, you will see a reference to a "movie" titled Don't Eat the Snow from Hawaii. That is actually NOT the name of a movie. It is the title of the Magnum PI pilot episode! Of course, the author, at the time, did not know this!

Attached Files:

j9fd3s likes this.
  16. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have a reprint they sold of that article on heavy card stock; it's a great story. I particularly like how he casually mentions his co-pilot taking home a chick during their reporting, and his comment that "What it can't outrun, it can outhandle." It may not be fast by modern standards, but I like to imagine what an absolute marvel it must have been in 1978.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There was a slight error at the beginning of that great article. It wasn't a Bama game that stuck them in traffic. It was the Hall of Fame Classic at Legion Field on 29 Dec 1979. Missouri vs South Carloina. I was at that game (decked out in as much Bama gear an 11 year old could layer on. It was cold.).

Their route would have had them pass right by my home on I20/59 that day. I can see the highway from my front yard. I always thought that was cool.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was in front of the TV for the pilot and again for the last episode. Never missed one.

The first two seasons were always the best to me. Most series seem to get better as they go along as the characters begin to find themselves but I have always felt Magnum had it dead on right out of the gate. I didn't care for where it went years later such as Higgins/Robin Masters thing. I get it and it was a cool idea but if you paid attention to the series, it was uncomfortably clear that it was an afterthought. The concept just doesn't match up with many early episodes.

But I still loved the show :D

19. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
  20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There was an ABC show (1983-86) called "Hardcastle and McCormick" that featured car called the "Coyote X" -- played by a VW chassis kit car based on the McLaren M6GT (season 1), and a De Lorean DMC-12 (seasons 2,3).

But every time they showed the car shifting, the console image was a Ferrari 308.
    I've always wondered if they filmed that themselves, or used footage from CBS's "Magnum P.I.". ;)

The news is that CBS is planning a reboot pilot --- with Higgins retconned as a woman. :rolleyes:

CBS has already rebooted "Hawaii Five-O" and "MacGyver" (which I refuse to watch).
    Don't many car companies try to remake "past glories" just before going bankrupt?

I think Selleck should be focusing on the new "Jesse Stone" films, as it looks like CBS is trying to kill off "Blue Bloods".
    (Seasons 7 and 8 episodes look like they've had ghostwriters from soap operas inflicted on the scripts.)