Oil filter selection - for a track car | FerrariChat

Oil filter selection - for a track car

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by staatsof, Jan 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My track car now has a remote mount for the oil filter and due to a previous component failure which caused oil contamination I'm more focused than ever on
    quality filtration. Funny how large expenditures can do that ...

So I now have the 13/16"x16 thread and can accommodate a filter up to 8" long. I have lots of room. I'm using a no bypass design and anti-drain back isn't an issue.

I'm looking at either this approach from Canton http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/340/Canton_Spin_On_Oil_Filters

It has a very low micron rating and flows 15 GPM. You can but also have to take the canister apart to an element change which does allow for inspection.

The other one is this from WIX 51061R which has a 61 micron rating but flows 28gpm http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/racing.asp

It's a 2.0L turbocharged motor about 380HP.

So the WIX is supposed to be a good filter, flows more, runs about $7.50 and can be cut open for inspections.

Whereas the Canton is messier to change and runs about $13-15 after the initial $100 investment, flows less but filters better. Should I be worried about the flow?
    Can I change the filter less often with this type?

Opinions gentlemen?

Bob S.

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The 51061R has been very good for my old shop for many years. Also a great deal less messy than the Canton solution. Flow is more important, IMO.

3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the reply Peter.

Bob S.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Bob,

Wix are generally good filters, good design and use decent materials. A friend of mine (an engineer who was bored and a bit curious) tore apart a bunch of filters, looked at the materials, tested them, etc. Wix was one of the filters he highly recommended, IIRC. On the track car, you're going to be changing the filter frequently, so how it holds up long term is not an issue. You just want to be sure you have sufficient flow. And you'll be changing the oil frequently as well, so you really don't have to worry about how well the filter will keep the oil clean over a long period either. IMHO, if the Wix is cheaper, go with it as it's going to be a regular maintenance cost that will keep recurring.

Steve

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi Steve,

I'm not sure just how much flow I really need. I don't believe there's any point in going after 26 gpm if the engine is nowhere near that???

The 51061R has a much higher flow than the 51061 but it comes at the price of small particulate filtration 61 microns versus 19 microns and 9-11 GPM.
    I'm not worried about dirty oil as much as contaminated oil. Stuff breaks and wears all of a sudden ...
    http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51061R

This is the stock filter for the car and the flow rate at 7-9 is nowhere near the 51061R or even the 51061 but the filtration at 20 microns is much better.
    http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51335

Given my lovely contamination results which might be due to having a bypass in the stock filter I'm eliminating that and also trying for better filtration so I thought this might be good
    http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51061

The Canton would be the ultimate filtration.

Bob S.

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You know, it's funny, Bob. When I started twenty-five years ago, I swore by Fram because all we used was PH2804-1 on the newer cars and the two on the older cars. Most of that was because I measured that the can thickness was greater than any of the "standard" filters (like the FL-1) and the can wouldn't separate from the base plate when the oil pressure was high and the temperature was cold. At that time, Wix was a "private label" maker in Gastonia, NC making filters for oil change chains and NAPA stores, not a good rep.

Then, of course, all the horror stories about Fram came out (never found any evidence to support that) but it forced me to look outside Fram and that's when I started looking at UFI and Baldwin. After that, of course, the Perflux French filters became the OEM filters with the advent of the 3.4 liter V-8's and by that time, I'd suffered some customer car failures at the track with the UFI's blowing apart (the infamous round groove/round o-ring seal flaw, fixed by making the groove square and making the o-ring square).

In all of the race cars, I had used the HP-1 Fram until I ran into a Cup engine builder who I respected who suggested the new Wix Racing filters. I switched and never looked back. Testing has yielded no structural failures and good, consistent construction. They work well, are readily available and have never "created" any problems. Glad to help.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Peter,

Do you what's different about the 51061 versus 51061R other than a coarser filtration which I assume to allow for better flow?

Bob S.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    My understanding of Wix's "R-rated" line is that they incorporate these benefits. Additional Oil Filter Features Include:

A) Heavy walled can and cover to withstand extreme burst pressures (up to 500 psi)

B) High temperature nitrile components (300 deg.F). Anti - drainback valve (when included) and base plate gaskets to withstand extremely high racing temperatures.

C) Zinc chromate plated base plate - Low surface friction and corrosion free.

D) Spiral wound center tube provides increased collapse pressure and enhanced flow pattern.

E) Metal end caps provide element strength and prevents filtering bypass.

F) Individually sealed to protect against contamination by environmental dust or dirt.