Just like a hot woman....another issue ! | FerrariChat

Just like a hot woman....another issue !

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Jan 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Well well, guess what?....another issue.

My AC and heater work perfectly but the blower motor doesn't work at all. Shelton Ferrari checked it out and said it was the actual motor. Personally, I don't trust these guys when it comes to electrical faults. In a Ferrari, so many things contribute to electrical faults....half hour of shop time doesn't cut it for me.

Which connectors on the fan speed control would actually go to the blower? I would like to hook them up to a 12V source to verify that it's indeed the blower. Also, how does one test the fan control with a multimeter? What connections and what voltage should show?

Please please don't tell me I have to pull the dash. Ferrari of central FL told me that. Oh and guess what....the blower evap box at last count is $3000.00 but is NO LONGER available. To add insult to injury, Ferrari won't open and fix the box because it's sold as a single part #. I'm sure if I have to get the box out (eventually ), I can just crack it open and have the motor rebuilt.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    What model/year Ferrari? If its pre-computer, try Tim Stanford in Ft Lauderdale for help.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Some of your parts may not be available NEW but there are TR's being parted out. You still some options.

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    did you verify it wasn't your fuse or fuse panel issue?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Shamile -- You'll need to make some voltage and resistance measurements at the relays (and relay sockets) on the AC unit itself (items 17 in the jpeg -- accessed via the Driver's footwell panel) to confirm/deny if it's the blower motor itself that is the real problem -- are you up for this? Let me know if you are, and I'll work up the instructions.

But please confirm before this that:

1. You have no blower operation at all -- neither low speed nor full speed, and

2. As Adam suggested, that you've got +12V present at the two M (brown) AC power wires leaving the "k" connector when you're requesting the blower to run.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

91TR....now you're talking!

I forgot to mention to everyone that the car in question is a 91 Testarossa US version. ( I thought everyone knew me by now :D )

Yes Steve, I'm up for the challenge. I really would like to know for sure where the problem lies.

BTW, I don't have any blower at any fan speed, slow or max. When the car is off but pos 2, if you move the fan speed knob to full, you can hear a subtle click. This is probably the speed control coming off the resistors and to full current connection ( fastest speed )

Looking forward to your analysis approach Steve (91TR)

BTW, the AC unit works fine. I have AC and heat. I can adjust the temperture, so I know the control works fine also. The vacume diverters work also.

Thank you all,

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK -- here we go ;)

relay g and relay c (shown on this partially schematic) are the two ...113 relays labeled items #17 in the SPC figure. You'll need to determine who's who by either noting the conditions when they actuate (you should be able to feel this by touching the outer case) or by matching up the number of wires to each connection (I'm unsure if on the AC unit itself they were careful about using the same wire colors as shown on the other side of the 12-pin connector).

If you get +12 volts in step #3, but the blower fan motor doesn't run full speed -- this would be a strong sign that the trouble is with the blower fan motor or its wiring.

If you don't get +12V in step #3, something else is wrong. Remove relay g and connect a jumper wire from the 87 terminal in the relay female socket to ground (with the key "on" and an AC pushbutton pushed) -- if the blower runs full speed that would show it's not the problem.

One caution is that they often swap the 85 and 86 terminals on these relays (since it doesn't matter to the function) -- so when I say "the 85 terminal on relay g" in step #3 that really means "the 85 or 86 terminal on relay g that has two wires connected" (the other one will only have a single wire connected).

Good hunting!

8. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Nice explanation and diagram! I'm sure it will help lots of folks down the road. (including me) Thanks for the time and effort putting it together.