Sterring wheel installation help | FerrariChat

Sterring wheel installation help

Discussion in '348/355' started by worth it, Jan 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    #1 worth it, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Started to install on my new steering wheel tonight but have hit a confusing point and can't find it discussed in any of the previous theads.

The factory 348 wheel has horn buttons on the wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock and center position. The new wheel will only uses the center button.

My question is what do I do with these wires - cut them / splice them, etc... I would like to do it in a way that will allow me to return to the factoy wheel and functions if I choose -

I copied the photo from another thread, it shows the red and green/yellow wires coming from the 2 sides. Please note the wires are pressed in place between the leather and the metal backing.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    responded in a PM. All you need to do is connect the wires coming from the sterring column to your round horn button. All the other wires can be removed. It is pretty straightforward....

3. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply - I just needed some confidence after my wife saw me with wire cutters in my hand. She even suggested that I spend time on F-chat making sure I was not screwing up something.

Just finished the install and it looks great and everything works... I think... did not check the wipers and headlights :)

Really an easy installation if you don't get chicken about cutting wires.

Thanks for the help.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Pics??

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

David - It's all about timing!! More steering wheels arrived here late last week :) When's the garage party? I should change my gear-oil soon.

6. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Outstanding!! Isn't it an awesome upgrade? Yeah, post pics

7. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    #7 worth it, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Story of my life - bad timing - you can even see when I finised the install - 1:00 am. It really does not take that long, I just decided to start the project after the kids went to bed.

Since it was so late I only took a few photos. More for "how to" put back together if I forgot.

Photos are - original wheel, wires exposed before cutting and new wheel after install

My photo shows the wheel slightly turned. It is truly installed straight. :)

I cut the wires mentioned and left enough to re attach later if I return to stock. I even went as far as to label the wires after applying small wire caps and tape. Simply tucked them neatly in the hub. Re-used the horn button with the electronics. It is just as much fun as getting a center cap back on a rim, you have to get it just right and push evenly.

Thanks again to Eric ( potxoli ) for the fast help.

David C.

Daniel - Garage party is Wednesday - call me for details -