Key stuck in door lock - won't unlock | FerrariChat

Key stuck in door lock - won't unlock

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rfking, Jan 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    He's a new one!

1988 Mondial Cabriolet

Unlocked the door this morning and it operated normally, but the door key gave some resistance to coming out, so I turned it back the other direction, and the door went back to the "locked" position.

Thereafter, the key will not turn all the way back to the "unlock position, and will not come out of the door. The locking mechanism "tumblers" look a little loose, but otherwise everything works properly as far as the electrics go.

I broke into the car using a wire coat hanger in about 3 seconds. If I lift the door button, the door unlocks properly on both sides, and the door latches operate properly inside and out. The electric buttons on the door will lock the doors, but not unlock them.

When I turn the key back to to the right, the doors lock as they should, but the key still won't trun as far back to the left as is necessary for the locks to unlock, or for the key to release from the lockset.

I've tried lubrication, and it doesn't do anything.

It's not a problem driving it - just have to leave one of the windows down so I can manually unlock the doors by pulling up on the button on either side.

Looks somewhat strange with the key left stuck in the door while driving around.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated on this one!

TIA - Roy

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Since you were able to unlock the car with a coat hanger in three seconds, I suspect that locking the doors is not much of a theft deterrent anyway.

3. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Not really, but on the other hand I feel silly driving around with a key sticking out of the door. Someone will decide to try and remove it before long too long if I don't fix it, and that could prove expensive I fear.

One correction - the electic switches on the inside of the doors also work properly - locking and unlocking the door as they are supposed to. The only problem is with the key actuation of the "unlocking" function on the driver's door.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Well, the bad news is that something is probably blocking the lock mechanism inside, or that a "bur" is on your key or inside your lock...requiring door disassembly and removal, repair, and replacement of the lock mechanism.

But...there are a few things to try. Blow graphite into the keyhole around the stuck key.

Then pull on the key while simultaneously turning it back and forth to see if you can get it into the release position. If that fails, push on the key while repeating the same.

If both of the above fail, then someone needs to be hitting your unlock/lock switch while you turn the key. If this fails, put a charger onto your battery and repeat.

If all of the above fails, then hit the keyhole with heat from a hairdryer while repeating all of the above from step 1.

And if all of the above fails, then it's time for disassembly and repair.

5. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Tried graphite today but no cigar - maybe after it sits tonight.

How about just trying all this with the engine running - rather than a battery charger?

Tried working the locking/unlocking switches while turning the key

I'll work on the hairdryer idea - thanks

If I don't have it fixed by Wednesday, I'll bring it anyway.

6. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm not familiar with the guts inside a Mondial door, but I have had a LOT of car doors and locks apart over the years.

knowing NOTHING of your locking mechanism, the first thing I would look at is if the locking cylinder somehow rotated in it's mounting area, causing whatever mechanical mechanism there is to bind to the point that your key won't come out. If this is the case, removing the inner door panel, and rotating the lock cylinder with a pair of channel locks could free the bind, and also your key. Heck... It's worth a try.

7. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks - I may try that this weekend - good project

8. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Roy, I think you're going to have to remove the inner door pannel and see what is going on. I would bet the lock is OK but part of the mechanism (rods and cams) inside the door is bound up somewhere. Getting the inner pannel off is not that bad of a job. Just takes a little patients and a knowledge of what fastners are holding it to the door. I would think somebody with a Mondial parts catalogue could copy the appropriate page and send it to you. It's pretty easy from there once you see what is going on.

9. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Roy, I though I would add, even if it is the lock/tumbler you will have to remove the inner door pabbel to remove it to take to a locksmith.

10. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks - I have done some research into the process for removing the inner door panel, and I think I can do it this weekend. I'll check out the insides and perhaps post some photos. I can always take the innards to a locksmith and not tell him its from a Ferrari!

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Although I've not removed a door on a Mondial, I have on three other exotics in the period and I'll bet there is a bit of similarity.
    A typical door removal would be
    1) remove the "cup" area behind the interior door pull handle (2 phillips screws)
    2) Remove all the edge fasteners on the peripheral of the door; either trim screws or hidden plastic push-popins
    3) rotate the panel to align the cutout and the interior door pull handle and remove.

Hope this helps

12. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks - I'll report my success by Monday.

BTW - love Bellvue - my son and his family live in West Seattle and we are regular visitors!

13. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    #13 stephenofkanza, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Then you are going to need a 30mm (If I remmember correctly) to remove the nut from the lock cylinder. You are also going to have to put the window up so you can get to the cylinder. There is a nylon piece that snaps on to the ball (use a wide flat blade stubby screwdriver. I had to make the 30mm wrench it can be made out of mild steel and does not have to be long, just long enough to be able to turn the nut it is just tight the cylinder has got a flat so that it won't rotate in the door. It is 30mm since I took a picture I measured it.

Hope this helps

Stephen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Do you mean that you used this "wrench" to tighten the lose nut? Was this the problem? No need to take it out or send it to the locksmith?

15. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #15 rfking, Jan 12, 2008
    Here is what I have found so far, Removing one screw on the edge of the door panel loosens the panel that I need, but the plastic bezel - marked on the second photo, is keeping me from removing the panel completely. There are NO screws around the door release latch and I am afraid to try to simply pry it off.

Should I be more agressive with it? Any ideas?

TIA - Roy

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #16 No Doubt, Jan 12, 2008
    It looks like how my '95 Corvette door panel was held on in that you have to lift up on the rod #46 right where it drop into the door latch #47 in order to let the plastic door bezel #29 slide around the door handle so that it can come out.

Those should be push-fit parts, so just apply slight pressure. Here's a diagram that may be for your year Mondi:

17. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #17 No Doubt, Jan 12, 2008
    This diagram looks more like your door:

So you'll want #29 and #45 to come out of that panel...and the panel may need #13 (perhaps even #10) off before it will come out.

18. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    That's it exactly. I have the panel underneath the troublesome one off at this point. Still not looking like I have much access to the lock though.

I'll try popping off the plastic bezel - carefully.

Thanks for the diagram!

Roy

19. stephenofkanza

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    So you can remove the lock cylinder with the key in it, so you can take it to the locksmith and replace it. I made to 30mm openings so I could fit it on different faces of the nut.

Stephen

20. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Celebrations are in full swing here at the King house. The Ferrari is back together - no key in the door - and everything working like a charm.

I'll post a few follow up things tomorrow just for future reference. The door panels are a learning curve, and I want to help the next guy save a couple of hours.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and to some of the older ones where I found some good tips.

Roy

21. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #21 rfking, Jan 12, 2008
    The door panel is made up of four separate sections. The center section that goes through the armrest and inside door latch is the first section that needs to be removed.

1. Disconnect the battery and take the small screw out of the edge (post #15, photo 1 above)
    2. Disconnect the mirror adjustment connection - photo below
    3. Lift the front edge of the pastic bezel around the door latch on the inside and slide it backwards (to the left)

22. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #22 rfking, Jan 12, 2008
    Next:

1. Push the rubber grommet that surrounds the button through the hole around the lock/unlock button - second photo below. Use the flat end of a small screwdriver.

2. Undo the 4 screws below the top panel section

3. Lift off the upper door panel

4. Pull the grommet up over the lock/unlock button and set it aside with the loose screws.

5. The lock itself was so caked with old hardened grease, that a couple of shots of WD-40 directly on the tumblers loosened everything up a bit and let the key come out of the door. I then closed the door firmly, reconnected the battery, and used the key in the passenger door to lock and unlock the door several times. I then tried the key in the driver's door and it worked perfectly. I had a can of white lithium grease that I then used on top of the WD-40 to lubricate the lock after cleaning it with the WD-40. Disconnect the battery again.

6. Put the top panel back on the door - replace the four screws on the lower section.

7. Apply WD-40 liberally to the rubber grommet and slide it back over the lock/unlock button, and then, with a small flat end screwdriver, work the lower half of the grommet back into the hole so that it looks like the first photo below and the button is not bound by anything.

8. Replace the center panel after reconnecting the electical connection for the window adjustment switches, then make sure that the tabs (see first photo below) on the panel slide under the fasteners as designed. In other words, the panel slides in from left to right so the tabs hock into the little slots on the door. If this is not done properly then the tabs will sit outside the slots and it will be inpossible for the plastic bezel to fit back around the inside door latch.

9. With the panel back in place and the edge screw replaced, replace the plastic bezel by placing it to the left of the handle, and sliding it back to the right into its normal position. It will snap in place easily if the previous steps are completed correctly.

10. Reconnect the battery - and roar off into the sunset!

That's it!

23. stephenofkanza

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Great that you got your key out, however I would reccommend graphite either powder (it is sold in a small plastic tube) or suspended one brand I think of is Lock Eze.

Your door is not like my 308.

Stephen

24. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I'll take your recommendation.

Thanks

25. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Now, pop open that nice bottle of red and celebrate. :) Congratulations.

Drew