Dead Snake. | FerrariChat

Dead Snake.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Pantera, Jan 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
  2. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Saved their a$$es once. ;)

3. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Yeap but it only benfited the older people with families.

What about us high performance guys and young guys? The Viper was the only thing american id drive!. If thats hacked out of the lineup id go back to being offical Italiano!.

4. sampson

sampson Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    near Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The Viper has been my dream car since the 5th grade. I sincerely hope this isn't true. I've been dreaming about the day I can walk into a Dodge dealer and order my very own viper (I'm still some years away from that yet.) Feels like part of me died when I read that.

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Is anyone surprised? The new Viper is so freaking plain looking that I am not. This was once an outrageous looking street car with power to back it up. Now it's a plain, Volvo-looking convertible with a big V-10 engine. Sad, but they should have evolved the older design instead of doing the blank paper route. It's not exciting to look at anymore.

RMX

6. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    #6 Pantera, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You kidding me?

I wouldn't say "Plain" looking I always though of the Viper as the American NSX, I still perfer the look over the new ZR1 or any Corvette at that and the newer colors are awsome I mean what is there to do with the design? It looked great before it just needed more kick. The new ACR looks great so far with the bodykit and wing. Keep in mind the 08's is just the base model Viper. Now do I think its great car now with 600hp but with cars like the new stang KR and ZR1 it will be tough for the Viper to be successfull in the market now that theirs more choices and price ranges out there not to mention the issues with the gas and the 35mpg on avarage for future cars. It might just be the best dission to get rid of it now before the green age hits full effect.

But most definately i would still take an SRT-10 Viper over any new vette in terms of looks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    That's pretty sad, the Viper had its charm and admirers.

8. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    dont you drive an American car now, and its not a Viper.

9. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    I hope nobody is taking that too seriously. Never even heard of this blog before, does it often have accurate reports? Where did he get his info? Doesn't list any sources or have any quotes.

Besides, combine the economic situation in America (the Viper isn't sold internationally to the extent of Porsche/Benz/BMW or even the Vette, like the article compares) with the fact that EVERYONE was aware that the 08 Viper would be tremendously improved, and it is completely understandable that few people wanted to pony up the cash for an 07. And now the Viper has been around for what--- 15 years? It's almost as much associated with Dodge as the Vette and Mustang are Chevy and Ford, respectively. I just can't see them ditching it for one bad year of sales.

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would agree the SRT 10 is better looking than the ZR1 but its nowhere near as cool looking as my Gen II.

If they kill the viper the prices of Gen IIs are going to hold steady and possibly increase. Fine by me..its a classic.

I havent bought a Viper since 2001 when I purchased mine.. I WOULD have bought a SRT10 if it looked cooler.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Crap, now I really have to get one before they become a limited quaintity item and the $ goes up on all years.

I have no proof of this, but overall I think the Viper has been a "Loss leader" item for Dodge/Chrysler from the begining.

I know a guy who owns a Honda Dealership in town and says that he thanks his lucky stars everyday that he doesn't have to try and sell anything domestic.....

In his opinion (IHO), domestic car makers are pretty much on their last leg (GD unions....worked them right out of competition and profitability... in my uneducated opinion (IMUO).

He also said the both Chevy dealers in town have been for sale for a number of years (Our area combined is about 400K population). The only domestic doing any reasonalbe business is ford and that's mostly in trucks.

It will be interesting to to see what becomes of the American Auto industry.

12. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I don't think Chrysler will cancel the viper..

JMO but its a cool halo vehicle for the brand.

Sometimes making money is important but sometimes its more important to have a cool image while making money..

The viper keeps chrysler cool..(as cool as they can be anyway)

You can't buy that kind of PR. IMO

They should cancel a lot of sebrings and other nonsense noncompetitive cars but not the low volume viper..

Like I said...its just my opinion..and not really worth 2 cents to the chrysler board of directors so who knows what'll happen..

JB

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think if they redesigned the current viper to look more like the GenII sales would increase dramatically...I would LOVE to have the performance of the SRT10 with the looks of the GenII. Id buy one in a heartbeat

14. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    That Green Monster is one fugly car!

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If they stop making them there will still be one to own anytime you want one.

Financially it's probably a loser to the company and the new owners might want a return on their investment.

16. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I have driving american made cars for awhile now.

17. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Then can you please show me something more attractive then?. :)

18. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    If it really did drop by 70% how long did they really think they would be able to milk that cow before it ran out? I'm probably the furthest from an econommics major but, even i understand you need to develope new ideas. Hah! in fact i think i found the big three's problem, they have no, absolutely zilch, when it comes to imagination...

19. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Totally agree, the new Viper is way to edgy and they simply missed the mark style wise.

Too often, IMO car companies tend to redesign far too quickly instead of refining a current "good" product, thus making it better.

20. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought Carroll Shelby also had a hand in the Viper's making? I would figure an article talking so "passionately" about the Viper might have mentioned it as modern day Cobra. However, I might have to believe it when I see it. This article doesn't even have a quote directly from Chrysler like more sources would.

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I personally believe they seriously need to let the dog die when it comes to the modern day Cobra/Daytona coupe talk, its like with the Lambo Muria, they where great cars of yesteryear but they need to stay in the past where they belong as classics they are.

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Agree!!!!

Certain cars/desgins/ideas were significant/proper/cultural changing notions for their time and as such are only appropriate for THAT time.

AFAIK, CS had a hand in the original Viper plan. However, I think his BS Selby Series One or whatever those POS cars were called were more along his orginal "Cobra" design phiosophy than the viper.

The Cobra and the Daytona Coupe are all-time classic American hot rod/automotive historical legends IN THIER TIME....end of story...don't (CS) blur it w/ continuation cars, tribute series 2000X, or any other BS.....

The original cars were a great story, great cars and a part of automitive history...is that not enough?

23. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Um, it was considered the modern day Cobra when it came out. It's aged so much, it doesn't look anything like it anymore, so I haven't seen anyone talking about the new Vipers being modern day Cobras.