The Passion of the Christ | FerrariChat

The Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by darth550, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Well I just saw the Passion of the Christ. The whole buildup reeks of nothing more than Hollywood hype. The antisemetic overtones were slight. Caviezel's portrayal was not all that memorable...moreso the the physical torment inflicted upon him was. Shopov's Pilate had some merits to it. Other than that, what we have here seems to be a low budget movie (Granted, I don't have the figures) which featured no big names, minimal special effects, and a few locations....made up for with good cinematography.

Mell Gibson on the other hand should hit a home run with his accountants!

DL

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Auugghhh... I am sooo tired of hearing about this subject. This movie is nothing but "Hollywood hype." Radio, TV, etc.... I'll wait for the DVD.

3. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    They press is making a big deal about a lady that had a heart attack and died during the resurrection scene. I have heard that it is graphic and the few pics of him were pretty graphic. I'll wait to rent it.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wouldn't call this Hollywood hype since mainstream Hollywood didn't want anything to do with this movie.

5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I am thinking of going dressed up as a Roman!!!!!!

Or maybe Jesus!!!

DrS

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    There was another heart attack for one of the mega religious types here during a screening last night, or so my roommate says. If its going to be that disturbing, then why watch it. Is it some religious requirement to watch something pumped out by Hollywood?

Soon, we won't be going to church. We'll rent our sermons from Blockbuster every Sat for the following day.

Gimme a break.

Sunny

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The actor who played Jesus was struct by lightning twice during filming. News Link

8. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Interesting.........hmmmm...........

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Correction. the Assistant Director got hit twice and the actor got hit once.

10. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Saw the movie this afternoon. Can't say that I enjoyed it, because what is enjoyable about seeing a religious icon brutally flayed to the bone?

However, I do encourage people to see the film- as I feel that it is as accurate a portrayal of the biblical account as could be possible.

You finally SEE what it was like, instead of summing it up as "wow, they really whipped Him and put spikes in His hands". You really wince and feel the pain.

Most of all... you feel thankful.

Go see it!

Nick

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    No one wants to go with me as a Roman?!?!?!?!?!1

DrS

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I shall.

13. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall

Yawn...... Tired of hearing people cry that it's anti-semetic. Didn't hear Germans crying when Schindlers List came out.

As far as the movie goes I'm curious to see if it will be the biggest money maker of all time. I've heard there's around 2.5B christians out there, so that's quite the target audience.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Stop talking about it! I don't want you to ruin the ending...

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    But Mel Gibson isn't black!?!?!

--Dan

16. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Haven't seen it yet, but I expect it to be Mel Gibson's version. Ever read a Tom Clancy book and then saw the movie? I figure its the same situation.

Currious to see it as well.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Randall,

Take off your brown shirt and re-read my post before you take what I said out of context...AS$HOLE!!!!

DL

18. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    :D I've read the bible, at the end... the devil did it.

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    He's sneaky.

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Sorry but that was so funny I almost fell of my chair.

BRAVO! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

21. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I saw it this afternoon. The parts of Jesus being beaten were not as graphic as I thought they would be. After studying the type of torture and punishment that was handed out during those times I was expecting worse. I found the depiction of satan to be interesting. I was told by a friend that a few lines were taken out do to criticism from Jewish organizations. I don't really understand peoples shocking reactions to things in the movie. It is a Bible movie and it has lines out of the Bible. Those were the lines in question I have been told. Overall it was pretty good for a movie, but I find the book to be better.

22. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I saw the movie tonight. I heard from some that the movie was bland and from others that it bordered on a spiritual experience. I found it somehwere in between. It is very thought provoking...and I think that is a good thing. And I also see why Hollywood would not back a movie like this. I get the impression Mel Gibson wanted authenticity and not financial success. I also thought that it was very graphic....but it does give you an "idea" of what true torment really is. I do feel that all the protesting is unfounded. The movie does change the way you look at the events, and see that it wasn't as "sterile" as has been portrayed in the past. I'm sure that tomorrow I will be discussing the merits of this movie with some of my coworkers. If this movie causes people to ask questions and discuss issues....then I believe that is good.

23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Randall. You really are a moron. I would go into specifics to prove my point
    in a normal situation. I am not going to debate this one.

Now pretend you are a real warrior there in Hawaii on ACTIVE DUTY.
    Don't forget to look yourself in the eye while you shave !

24. rt207

rt207 Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    ryan
    supposedly mel financed the project with 50m of his own cash and it should bring in at least that much by sat

25. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Religion is the root of all evil.