360 hot starting issue | FerrariChat

360 hot starting issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by mrpcar, Jan 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I searched and couldn't find any useful information regarding this issue.

Typically when the car is cold it takes about 3-4 seconds of cranking to start the engine. Still longere than any other car I have owned.

After all warmed up, if I shut engine off and start it again within 5-10 minutes, it still starts still within 3-4 seconds of cranking.

But if I let the car sit for about 30-60 minutes after it is all warmed up it takes about 6-8 seconds of cranking for the engine to start.

Sometimes, it will crank for so long and not start that I have to stop turn the key off and start again. Then it will start within 1/2 second of cranking.

Have anyone else experienced this symptom? What's causing this hard to start problem? Can't imagine it to be vapor lock in a new model car like this.

TIA

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have not experienced this issue, but myself and many others experience a similar problem where, if you start the car up when cold, it will idle extremely rough for a few seconds. However, if, after starting it, you shut the key off right when you realize it's starting to run rough, and restart, it will fire up instantly and idle perfectly. A very knowledgable mechanic has theorized through trial and error that cars with newer batteries suffer a lot less from this problem. If it were me, I would first buy a brand new battery. If that didn't do anything, I would reset the computer.

3. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    then again

well, maybe not

4. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Is that suppose to be some sort of sick joke?

5. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I do not have the rough idle problem people have mentioned here, if anything it would be rough for couple seconds and then the engine idles perfect.

I was thinking today if I should take the hot wire air flow meter out and use the MAF spray cleaner to clean it.

I assume when you referring to resetting the computer is to turn the master switch in the truck off and back on?

Thanks

6. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    My 99 starts cold after 1 or 2 seconds, hot even faster. Something must be wrong.

7. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I would check your battery as a first step.