Kyosho losing it's license from Mattel! Does this mean no 1:18 "Light Weight" F40? | FerrariChat

Kyosho losing it's license from Mattel! Does this mean no 1:18 "Light Weight" F40?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by slk99, Jan 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    #1 slk99, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do someone knows about that Mattel stops license of Kyosho to manufacture and sell 1/18 and 1/43 Ferrari. My Japanese friend sends me this Kyosho announcement in Japan.

The translation of the letter in English as follows:

Capital trade, in regard to handling the イクソ Ferrari die-cast car product Your corporation benefit 々 of Siwasu's thing of the glory you say to rejoice clearly distantly. Usually, it grants extraordinary high distribution, gratitude says thickly. Well, at our company so far the basis of sub license permission from the American マテル corporation, it started lining up various miniature models of the Ferrari car energetically with 1/43 and 1/18 scales, but that this time from the マテル corporation, "regarding the production sale after the 2008 March the permission contract is not renewed", there was communication. At our company, it is regrettable truly attendant upon this, but 2008 March from here っ て it became to end the sale of the Ferrari product of 1/43 and 1/18 scales in accordance with the decision making of the マテル corporation. Communication it was, to be short even excessively concerning the time limit, "2008 3 end of the month", in addition to be impetuous story, because it is feared, that it is also a possibility this causing the confusion and the like of the internal market presently, the demand which requests the extension of the time limit is submitted, negotiation is continued with the マテル corporation. When you can see the new movement with the negotiation result, on occasion, you report. In addition, concerning 1/43 scales Ferrari model of the イクソ corporation, being to become our company similar measure, we inform collectively. Regular use of same product which crosses the long period of time it was grateful truly. Being attached, sort of the annex list, capital trade, イクソ you execute the last sale of 1/43 and 1/18 Ferrari various products. It meaning that this becomes the last sale opportunity, in order by all means, it is overlooking and not to be, that many orders are granted, we ask may. Because also from future starts pushing on more, in the product making which is charm, the patronage where our company product does not change and that it can receive support, we ask may.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ringo

ringo Rookie

Jun 30, 2005
    Is this message correct?Considering the huge difference in quality between the Hotwheels models and the Kyosho models it would appear that Mattel are running scared!!!

3. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    Mattel gives license to Kyosho to make Ferrari models

4. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've been hearing this new about the Kyosho not being renewed on several different boards. This is bad news! Kyosho makes some of the best Ferrari models for the price range.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Mattel probably got greedy again and asked way to much to continue the contract.Dont be suprised if Mattel starts maketing Kyosho models under the Hotwheels name.That would be a win win for both.

6. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    Mattel wants to make the model in its Elite model line.... and if it takes away the license, there will be no competition from Kyosho by his high end models

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Well that sux the big one...

8. JimmyD

JimmyD Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yeah, I've seen this on numerous boards too. This is a major bummer, as Kyosho's price and quality put it squarely in the sights of many/most collectors. Their Ferraris (and all models) fit nicely between the low-end and high-end makers out there. Sitting on a display shelf, it is difficult to tell the difference between Kyosho and high-end products, while it is easy at a glance to see the difference between the low-end and Kyosho. This, to me, is what makes Kyosho (and AutoArt) so great, and why most of my 1:18 models are from one of these 2 makers.

Kyosho no longer making Ferraris is very depressing. There is even less incentive for Mattel to raise the quality on their Elite models now.

9. LambogatiINC

LambogatiINC Formula 3

Aug 14, 2004
    Toronto/Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sal
    thats exactly what i was thinking...look at how bad the regular hot wheels is, forget the elite getting any extra attention, AND expect a jump in price...

in canada, 89.99 seems the number for elites from the model stores...i wouldn't be surprised if it goes up to 94.99 even 99.99

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I have a fairly diverse collection but for the past 8 years most of it has been comprised of Mattel, unless they can improve the overall quality which most likely happen so I'll be done with collecting 1/18th scale cars. On the flip side of this I can see other manufactures Ferrari models going up in price. Get them while can folks.

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I have two on order. Does anyone know if since these are so close to production that they will still be made? I know the black was was due any day now, and the yellow and red next quarter.

Anyone have any information?

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
  14. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    i m feel surprise...

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Huh?

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I asked Kevin from Scale18 about the lightweight F40s and he said,

"We have been told that they will produce all the announced Ferraris but will not be able to produce any additional ones or re-produce any that have already been made, so the F40s are fine."

So looks good for the lightweight F40s. Apparently they are pushing the red and black 250 GTOs out before May as well.

17. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is just my guess but actually this question may be the core of the problem. Somewhere else on f-chat there was a list of the Elites announced for 2008 and there is an F40 LM in it. I am pretty sure that HW would be dead in the water with their F40LM for $80 retail against the Kyosho's F40 for $90 retail. Did anyone notice that Kyosho came out with the Daytona only after HW released theirs. Then they came out with their F40 only after the Elite F40 was available. The Enzo from BBR followed the same pattern. And the 575 GTC came out only long after Mattel made 550s and 575M. There was an announcement about the Kyosho's 250 GTO only after Mattel debuted their 250 GTO Elite (which is IM(not humble)O worse than the production one). Same story with Kyosho's announcement of the TR-long after the Elite TR was sold. Let me see, Mattel's crap for $80 or the kyosho's 100xbetter models for a couple bucks more. The only way Mattel can sell their Elites is if they release them waaaaayyyyy before someone else makes the same model and if no one knows the other companies are going to make it. I have a feeling that the Kyosho's announcements have a lot to do with it. Just my own speculation. It would be nice tho if they follow the pattern and come up with some of the 1:43 models they have made in 1:18 scale. I would definitely not mind a 1:18 F50 by Kyosho, the 360modena/Spider, the Dino etc.

18. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well if this "Kevin" is a good source, that is GREAT news!

Thanks!

19. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well... I wonder if Kyosho will also get their TR "Stage 1 & 2" out before the April/May deadline? Also what do they mean "Stage 1 & 2" for the TR's??? ... Anyone ?

Rob

20. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well according to the above post, it should make it out.

Stage 1, one high mirror and center bolt wheels.
    Stage 2, two low mirrors and 5 lug wheels.

21. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    THANKS!

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

from what I read in that letter from Kyosho, this decision is based on sales numbers.
    I think this whole die-cast thing has been getting nuts during the last two decades. Remember; Burago started with the 1:18 scale around 1984 with the 250 GTO and 250 Testarossa. You could get these models for around EUR 10,-- ( $ 15,--). Back then the models were produced in masses, bought occasionally as a toy for children with the purpose of play and scrap. And sales numbers were fairly healthy.
    In my opinion, modelcars are way too expensive nowadays for reaching profitable sales.
    Especially because earnings in China, where most companies produce, are rising.

Just my opinion. We will see.

Best Regards

Martin

23. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Whatever they end up making---I will get one...or two...

24. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    He's very credible, nothing to worry about.

See if this link works:

http://www.scale18.com/cgi-bin/page/search?index=0&func=search&what=1&from=0&num=100&format=0&txt=ferrari

Might as well sign up for the special ones, e.g. black lightweight F40.

Interesting price difference between the F40s and the Testarossas.

I didn't know the 575 GTCs were coming out in a couple of race liveries. Feraud 365 looks nice too.

Lots of good stuff coming.

If Hot Wheels follows through (properly) on their F40 LM, will be a good year for collectors.

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Wow, his prices on the F40's are great!

It is odd considering they have the same MSRP as the Testarossa's.

I'm guessing the Testarossa's will have a smaller production run.

As for the Hot Wheels F40 LM, I'm not holding my breath for even decent quality....