456M for daily driving? | FerrariChat

456M for daily driving?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kara, Jan 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kara

kara Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2007
    Ukraine in dreams/CA
    Full Name:
    Kara, Karalina
    I really don't know much about this car, or any Ferrari to be honest. My dad has had a GT4 and now a 328. I'm sure those are quite different from newer models.

Anyway, could this car be used for that? Maybe not exactly everyday car, but an every other day car? I do realize ferrari's aren't really made for this kind of driving, but still I'm curious.

I've read that it's heaps better then the 456GTA and has less problems....is that correct?
    How is maintenance? I've heard the auto transmission has problems?

Actually, any information or personal experience info would be appreciated.

I know it's not as popular as models such as 360, etc...so it seems harder to find reliable info on them.

2. wattie456

wattie456 Karting

Sep 2, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Emily
    Kara,

I have a 2003 456M GTA that I use for nearly everyday driving (can't beat the gas milage on the hybrid!). Haven't had any major issues with it so far, it just isn't as roomy and up to date as the 612 is. The back seat can get pretty tight for someone other than a child or small woman, and the trunk doesn't hold too much (but I have a subwoofer in it). I have seen a few 456M's and 612's used as daily drivers here in SoCal.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Here ya go, then......a GTA as a daily dirver.

Congrats on using the car!
    Thanks for posting!

4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I was at the dealer on Saturday looking at a 612. To me, the trunk looked smaller--not as deep as that of the 456M and the interior roughly the same, except for a bit more rear seat legroom. (I had my car there at the time for comparison).

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have one as a dd. works fine. use the search function on the site first, then come back and ask more questions.

6. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Me too. Works great rain and shine. Dont do snow as it means a change of tires. Mericans may have a problem as the car has no provision or space for the ever present beverage - whatsoever. So when I need one I take a passenger !!

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    There are plenty of owners on this site that would share a different opinion on that. Welcome to the board.

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    One thing to remember is that the 456 was built for a decade and things will be different between the first and last of the run. The 456 production run coincided with a period of QA at Ferrari. The 1990's were the time that Luca di Montezemolo decided to bolster the reputation of Ferrari as producer of reliable cars. The 456 and 550 were two prime examples of that philosophy (being relatively subdued and comfortable and thus more usable in an urban environment), and both models have been used as daily drivers by a substantial percentage of their customer base. So, yes, they WERE built for practical daily use.

I've spoken an owner of a 575 who had a 550 before. He put 100,000 miles on the 550 in 3 years and it never gave him an issue. This is not an isolated example - try finding a low-mileage 456 or 550 in Europe - they're getting scarce. People like to use them!

I must also note that the older Ferrari's are not nearly as fragile as people make them out to be. They need to be cared for properly, but above all they need to be driven. These cars don't like to stand idle. A case in point is a fellow Ferrarichat.com member who has driven his 1977 GT4 for 10,000 miles or so in the last 12 months in cold wet Holland. It behaved impeccably.

BTW, to say that the 456M is a much better car than the GTA doesn't make any sense. The only difference is the transmission. There have been issues with it packing up and replacing it with an original is a very costly experience indeed but you should be able to get a refurbished one for much less. Having said that, I hate automatics so maybe you were right after all.... :D

Onno

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A 456 makes a fine daily driver. The trunk is actually much larger than it appears-- there is quite a bit of space off to the sides that you can't easily see when you open it up.

The 612 trunk looks smaller to me, that's one minor concern of mine. But, until you actually use it, it's hard to know. I thought the 456 trunk was going to be too small before I actually packed it up for a weekend trip!

10. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The differences between the 456 and the 456M are numerous and, IMHO, well worth the $5-10K differential.

11. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Daily driver for me unless I am hauling big stuff, trunk is big enough to take 6 bags of sod (more if you don't have the spare tire option).

12. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I also use my 456 GT as a quasi daily driver and it works quite well at that.

13. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    If anyone is interested, this website typically has some great information. (plus you can always snap on a link or do another search here). I always like the historical charts at the bottom.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_456

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    My friend in Greenville SC would like to sell his, but it is not listed anywhere. PM me if interested.

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    What makes a car a "daily driver" is that it is 1. mechanically reliable, 2. tractable in traffic and 3. comfortable and unstressful to spend a great deal of time in. A 456 fits the bill on all counts. I drove from San Francisco to Portland in one day and I emerged from the car feeling better than if I'd done the trip in my Lexus.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    1995 green, tan 6 speed, new clutch, flywheel, last january, belts, waterpump done in 05, at 25k miles the car has under 30k miles on it. I will take 62k. it also has the factory luggage wiyh it..

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    What I meant was - an auto compared to a 6-speed of the same age.

Onno

18. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How about the door window sealing issue? Can that be fixed and at what cost? Guess I should do a search on that, but I think I am in the 456 folder and don't see anything on it here...

Thanks mucho!

19. phillg

phillg Karting

Feb 4, 2007
    Dorset UK
    Although it is a problem on some cars I hear,my 1998 456m gta does not have the issue.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was a Factory Campaign, they fixed the ones and modified the newer cars on the line...not sure on VIN info.......

21. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Mine also has been a "daily" driver ; but, since I have
    a home-office and am without a commute, mileage
    has been kept at about 2500 per annum since I
    ordered the 456M GT five years ago. (I also
    refrain from winter driving, keeping it under cover
    (battery off) for about eight weeks.)

NAK.

22. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. That is good to know. An owner of a 97 456 showed me the problem first hand as his had not been fixed yet and he mentioned that if you had to pay to do it that it was expensive.

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    It was about an $8k 'fix' from a factory sponsored dealership, and didn't always correct the problem. That 8k is what you would pay now on your own. The dealerships will not do it for free anymore. So, if your windows were 'done' then you got that free chance.

My experience [and this is interesting] is that one of the windows, still sports a 'gap'...usually the driver's side AND it's the driver's side with either a LHD or RHD. got that first hand via an impromptu poll over the last year. The joke was Mario always worked on the driver's side at the factory and messed up the measurements after some mid-day vino.

24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Instead of battery off, it would be better to just put a battery tender on it, but from the sound of your 'under cover' it sounds like it's outside? If so, there are other issues to consider if in your NY area: Keep the gas tank full or full with a stabilizer. IF you use a battery tender, then firing up the ol' beat once a month or more and getting the juices up to temp for about 20min. should be a nice alternative to sitting idle...IMO

FWIW

25. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Thank you.

It's in our heated garage here at home, not outside.
    I will inquire about the battery tender you have mentioned.

NAK.