Why is it that cad plated metric nuts are impossible to find?! | FerrariChat

Why is it that cad plated metric nuts are impossible to find?!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bpu699, Jan 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Every hardware store I go to have standard cad plated screws, nuts, etc. Dirt cheap.

I can't find cad plated metric bolts/nuts/etc anywhere. Tried the net, Mcmaster, etc. A few places carry odds and ends, but rather than 2 cents per nut, its 28 cents each. Now, these nuts don't know that they are going on a ferrari...so they shouldn't cost this much! ;)

Don't any import cars use cad plated nuts/bolts? Anywhere in the universe???

If anyone has a secret source, please share. The SS and zinc nuts/bolts just don't have the same eefct on the engine bay's appearance....

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Are you talking about the gold-coloured cadmium finish? Usually lower grade bolts - which are the most common and that's why they're found at your typical hardware store - come in the silver, zinc-plated finish. You'll need to find a true, industrial fastener supplier who'll carry heavier-duty grades (like 10.9, 12.9 and 14.9) and more than likely some of those come in gold-cad.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Try Fastenal. They sell them in bags of 50 or 100.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks guys, I will try these places...

6. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Anothe rplace ot give a shot is http://www.belmetric.com . Great company that we have been using for over ten years. Great quality and service. Hope this helps.

7. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    Just for the (search) record... This place in the Denver area has been very good when ever I needed something:
    AAA Metric Supply Inc.
    http://www.aaametric.com