what weight Mobil 1 for '72 Dino engine? | FerrariChat

what weight Mobil 1 for '72 Dino engine?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Pantdino, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi, Guys,

I did a search and see that a lot of you who own cars from the '70's are using Mobil 1 engine oil.

Is it the 15W-50 you're using?

Thanks!

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    This always opens up a huge can-o-worms. Many are proposing using the thinnest that gives proper oil pressure. While it may be a bit of a moot point at running rpms, I think you'll find that many of the 70's vintage motors have clearances such that real thin oil gives non-existant pressure at idle.

Despite all the arguments to the contrary, I'm sticking with a weight that is close to what the owner's manual states. In the case of my 1975 engine, the closest Mobil 1 is 15W50. However, I'm thinking of using something just a little bit thinner in the winter. 10W40?

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I run Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in my 77 308.
    HTH
    Philip

4. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    If you need the 17 - 18 centistoke thickness at operating temperature then the Castol 5W-50 is better because it is a little less honey like at start up (defined as 104F, (40C) the lowest temperature that viscosity is measured). That assumes all other things are equal.

5. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    The can of Lumbricus terrestris has been opened. Earthworms are in the family Lumbricidae of the segmented worm phylum, Annelida.

6. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What a great listing of oil specs, Ali! Thanks! I was looking for some specs on the Castrol website and didn't find any.

It's off topic, but what REALLY caught my attention was the 20W-50 Syntec Blend viscosity of 180 at 40* !! I had just picked some of that up for use in my BMW. Think I'll take it back. Talk about honey!

Can you explain what High Temp Shear is? I've seen that term on the bobistheoilguy.com site and don't know exactly what it means.

Thanks!

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Algars' mechanics have advised me not to use synthetics in my '72 Dino.

You get a lot of little around the seals. Has to do with the oil being more slippery, less viscous, without losing its lubricating properties. So, while it reduces friction, it increases leaks, or some such explanation.

I'll ask about syn blends tomorrow when I stop in to see how the engine rebuild is going.

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Lots of old line mechanics seem to be afraid of synthetic in older cars. Carlo, the guy who did the PPI on my car, insisted that synthetic would ooze out every pore of my 1975 engine. However, it's dry - excepting a stubborn front distr leak that the car has had since new. Not even the slightest hint of seepage from any of the seals.

9. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Any geezers out there who remember what was the weight of the oil recommended by Ferrari for the Dino 246? The owners manual calls for Shell Super Motor Oil "100" but does not specify 20W-50 or whatever. I suppose it was some kind of premium blend long-since defunct. Was is synthetic?