1974 FERRARI 365GT4 BB | FerrariChat

1974 FERRARI 365GT4 BB

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 410SA, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have searched the web for info on these cars and their current value range but there appears to be very little for this transitional car. Web searches bring up all sorts of Daytona info as well as 512BB stuff.

I have seen a nice, low mileage (only 3500 miles) example of of 365 GT4 but I think the dealer is asking too much at nearly $100k. The car is essentially unrestored with only oil and lube services done. There is no evidence of a major service.

Any opinions out there?

2. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hi Alex. FWIW, per www.NADA.COM,

a 1974 365GT4BB retails $45,600(low),
    56K (average) , and 81,700 (high).

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That seems a little low and my IMHO is always lower. I would say 55-65-80.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How many GT4 BB in the US ?

Its the BB to have !

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    They sell for much less than asking price.

6. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I will revisit the dealer and throw a smaller number at him to see how serious he is. BTW the car is fly yellow upper/black lower/black interior. It looks really good on the surface, but who knows what's lurking under that 30 year body!

7. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    In Switzerland, the price is between 70000-90000 SFR.

8. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    It's a so beautiful car ... don't you ?

9. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    there are very few here in the states, I think there is a member with one here, he also visits JRVs site a lot,

10. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I had the second one certified in 74 . Great car. It was a God-awful purple car originally owned by a Saudi prince. Huge scratch across hood ala his girl friend.

11. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I should imagine you'd be looking at a fair amount of work to make it consistently roadworthy. Having said that, if the overall condition of the car is commensurate with its meagre use, then this is a pristine example of a rare, important, gracefully avant-garde and beautifully fast car. It's priced -IMHO- as such, and you won't get the discount mentioned above...
    Mine is a constant joy (check profile for pic).
    David Feinberg also has a superb example, try searching the archives.
    Resources include Frank Masiarz' excellent site:

http://www.masiarz.net/bb_resource/front.html

QV500 too, are suitably awestruck:

http://www.qv500.com/ferrariboxerp1.htm

I'll add more if I think of any, and you're welcome to 'pm' me.

Edited to say: Purple, Mmmmmmmm:D

12. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Cavallino, do you know what year the car shown was made? Mine ('73) doesn't have the central grill over the engine. Doesn't get particularly hot, either.
    Oh, and why's he stuck the rear Ferrari badge in such a funny place?!

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Alex, the 365GT4BB was not a "transitional" car, but was in fact the first Boxer. The BB512 would be the transitional Boxer between the 365GT4BB and BB512i I suppose. They are the lightest of the Boxers, but also prone to the most problems. Their parts are even harder to find than other Boxers(try to find a replacement six pipe muffler) , they have an overheating problem(they used push rather than pull cooling fans) , they have a lot of front-end lift at high speeds(they have been know to flip at very high speeds/front spoilers were added in BB and BBi models), they eat clutches and their a/c is even weaker than the later BB and BBi models(no lower center vents). But, they are the most rare and that may cause them to hold their value a little better in the long run. Before I bought my BB512i I drove several other Boxers including a 365GT4BB and a BB512 and preferred the BB512i by a large margin.

14. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Alex
    Is the car at Motorsports in Scottsdale? If so, it is an eye catcher. Looks real good in yellow

15. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    The 365 Boxers are fantastic cars. I own a very late one (second from last made) and it is a fabulous car to drive. very raw and like a racing car on the road. It is also seriously quick.

If there are any specifics you need answers on please do ask or email me directly at [email protected]

As for price I think mine is worth around the equivalent of $80,000 - it is a 1976 with a genuine 18,000 miles - but the car is a right-hand drive as I live in London.

Simon

16. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Here is a picture

17. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Frank, say more, why?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    BTW, Frank's right about the lift.
    I have a model of one with "Daytona" mods.
    A HUGE front aluminum spoiler and a HUGE rear wing were added.
    Talk about air flow management!

Don't know exact year but I think it models an actual entry.

Frank do you have any racing history?

I've heard said the later 512BB had better, stronger tranny.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is it easy to bring a GT/4 BB to the states ? Since its a car that is more than 25 yo ?

20. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    alain:

any idea what happens to that car? about a year ago it was between 100'000 and 130'000!
    will the car depreciate further or taking up again in value? in my opinion these prices are very low.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  22. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I've never had any problems with lift, steering going light or anything like that, and up to some quite high speeds. Le Mans would be a different kettle of fish, and the paltry chin spoiler on the 512BBi would not, IMHO, be all that much help on the Mulsanne.
    Overheating is not an issue, but yes, some more vents in the cockpit would be nice...Opening the window tends to cool things down around here, with the benefit of making the engine louder!
    The referral to the 365 being a transitional model is correct - this model heralded the transition from front to mid-engined road cars.
    Frank, your post struck me as being rather mean-spirited. Why would you want to denigrate the car of someone who has just posted? Not just any car, but the 'Grandfather' of your own? If I wanted to be critical about the BB512i in comparison with my own, I could. I won't because I love that car too.

Simon, that's an ace pic of your black number:)

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    castex, my comments were meant to be matter or fact...not mean spirited. I love the 365GT4BB, especially the way they sound with the Webers. In fact, the first Boxer I ever drove was the 365GT4BB of John Apen at a little race track in Alabama back in 1991 I believe. But, I wanted a car that I could drive 5k to 10k miles a year and the BB512i is much better for that .