Your suggestions appreciated... | FerrariChat

Your suggestions appreciated...

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by weatherman1940, Jan 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    I am looking at three Lambos to purchase right now (already have them in mind). However, I wanted to give living in the greater Atlanta area a chance. Most of you have clicked on a specific locale in real estate and get hit with many questions about the exact location you want. I can't name that because I don't know the locations. Briefly, I am a retired scientist, no family, want a new or near new house with at least four garages, one or two acres, love all the modern bells and whistles on a house, 4,000-5,000 sq ft, in the one or two million price range...a real car enthusiasts house with lots of floor to ceiling windows, etc.

You can provide me the name of subdivisions, RE offices, individuals, or have them contact me. The sale will be cash and I can do it right now...no house to sell here in NC.

Any help welcomed. I can be reached at [email protected]

Thanks...

2. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Country Club of the South. That is a neighborhood. St.Ives is another. If you let an office know that you would like a neighborhood like that they can pick it off. Both are in the Alpharetta area and very nice. I will see if I can find out any real estate companies for you.

3. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    Thanks...I am now in touch with a realtor and have looked at several nice homes online. There are some very fine properties to look at there.

MC

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you want to be closer to town, I've seen some gorgeous properties along Mount Paran Road north of Buckhead. I suppose a few of those are for sale at any given time.

5. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
  6. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    ^^^^I can see that the property is in Roswell but can't tell where in Roswell. It's a nice suburb nonetheless.

7. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    Kings Estates Manor...if that helps.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Oddly, the Google maps link that the realtor provides doesn't work! But in this metro area the only caveat about a house that big is how big the property is, since some developers are building big, expensive houses like that and then putting them so close together that you're practically on top of your neighbors! But from the looks of the photo, that doesn't look like a problem here.

9. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    very nice looking place.

10. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That neighborhood is across the street from ours in Roswell. Right next to country club of the south. Country club of roswell is also something to think of.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    no family = single ?

if so, why would you be looking OTP ? for that money, buckhead / north buckhead / vinings

12. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    That is correct...SINGLE. I don't know the accronym OTP. Are buckhead and vinings in the Atlanta area? A two-year search has clearly shown that to get 4+ garages, you must also go up to the bigger and more expensive properties. So far, the best bang for the buck, or at least a plush house with lots of garages and under $1.5 mil has been the greater Phoenix area. This includes Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, etc.

However, I lived there years ago and dislike the sandstorms. During one stay, a storm came in and stripped the paint off a coworkers car. Now, in NC, they seem to have a real problem with garages. $2mil+ homes generally still only have a three car garage.

I'm flexible, but all these factors make the search very difficult.

Thanks all...for the comments. I appreciate them.

13. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    2 words- Custom Build...

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    otp = outside the perimeter. 285

if your single, you'll be miserable living way up there, imho. especially if you plan on eating out often.

buckhead, north buckhead, sandy springs (heards ferry) , vinings, brookhaven ( the real one - not crookhaven)

location location location

i'd look for something with space for a carriage house build

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not necessarily true...when I was single I lived on Lake Lanier and had a blast...plenty to do...great scenery and of course the lake and all that goes with that. And the restaurant situation is much better OTP now too...if you want condo type life, inside city type life, ITP is fine...but, if you want a nice 5000+ sq ft house for the cost of a small condo ITP, with a 4 to 10 car garage on a few acres, Forsyth County is where you want to be IMHO...it's close enough to Atlanta to enjoy the city, but far enough away to enjoy life the rest of the time...

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    too each his own. i live in east cobb and consider that far out. i don't drive to forsyth without packing a lunch.

17. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    LOL...good point about eating out. I asked my realtor about Burger King and she said I would be within 7 blocks of a BK. She also said there would be only 17 houses built in this mini subdivision. Oh...the lot size is 1.39 arces.

Thanks again to all...

Mike

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I suppose it all depends on where you're going...if I'm headed for a mountain drive, to Road Atlanta or to the best Italian Restaurant outside of Tuscany (Casa Nuova) or fine dining at Rudolph's in Gainesville, I prefer Forysth County ...If I wanted to go to the Big Chicken, Cobb would be the place to live... plus, who wants to live in a crowded neighborhood anyway when you can own several acres of your own peace and tranquility...especially when you are a car guy and want to actually be able to do some spirited driving every weekend...

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Burger King is not a place to eat...it is a place to avoid like the plague!

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i hear the chicken is awesome

21. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    I'm easy to please with food. One of my best Christmas gifts was $50 in BK gift cards. Love my large #2 with cheese (double whopper).

So many places I fly to take me thru ATL first, so living in that area would also help. Delta had non-stops to Europe from ATL. Having work at 26 different locations in 43 years, I'm a man without a country, state, county, or city. ATL is one that I always enjoyed. AND...GA is a one lic plate state! But, so is NC. Just strange how 4+ car garages are such an oddity in NC.

Ya'll have provided some great info on housing locations. They are out there...just need to find them. Sounds if I landed in ATL to live, there would be plenty of exotic cars/clubs to cruise with. I loved that idea when I was in the Vette club...lots of fun trips. Guess the boys in OC really have nice outings, but couldn't handle SoCal anymore...was raised there.

Ok...once again, thanks for all the feedback on housing. May be lining up several potentials and then flying out to ATL for a couple days of close looks. I'll toss a feeler out and maybe some board members will be available for coffee or a hello.

Mike

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I enjoy living in east Cobb. I live in a nice, quiet subdivision with two-car garages (big enough for the Ferrari) and yet I'm less than a mile from plenty of shopping and dining choices in the Eastlake area. And I seem to have the only Ferrari in the area......

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    exactly. there's no reason for a single guy to live farther out sans the unibomber

here's one down the street with 4 car garage.

http://www.jennypruitt.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Search=dd55f47c-aeda-4e1d-b652-bcd1705a02ce&Listing=23901740&IRPAgentID=&Image=1&First=1&Last=8&pagesize=10&SearchType=&ListingDistrictTypeID=&FirstLetter=&Sort=6&Cookies=&UseColorBar=false

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If it were me and I had all the exotica reported here... I would only want to live ITP... OTP is for family life, ITP is where wealthy singles should live and play... if you are far out, you will have a difficult time meeting people... especially if you dont work in one place.

Its My opinion, but I think if you really asked around the place to live is ITP.... Buckhead West Westly to Paces Ferry over to Mt. Paran.... has some of the best homes around with huge garages etc.... All the best restaurants are ITP... check out Zagats guide if you think otherwise....

3 lambos and a Bugatti... Buckhead is the place to be!

25. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Also if you don't mind living 1.5hrs from ATL there is always Chattanooga. You can get a great house with a 4 car garage for alot less than ATL. Plus you are in between all the big cities, and there is still tons to do. Let me know if you need any info.