Barrett-Jackson 2008/First 2009 ZR1 goes for $1,000,000 | FerrariChat

Barrett-Jackson 2008/First 2009 ZR1 goes for $1,000,000

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Dino Martini, Jan 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #1 Dino Martini, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I was very impressed with some sales this year. That Torino that sold for 100k shocked me, I had no idea these cars were like that much.

3. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
  4. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    I was impressed with Jay Leno's speech before they sold the '09 ZR1. Jay is so cool; such a down-to-earth, self-depricating kinda car guy (the best kind). $1m is pretty darn solid money, imo, for basically getting serial #1 and a nice VIP delivery package of the ultimate Vette.
    Still, that being said, BJ seem to me to be getting a little less desirable every year. Anyone else concur that?

5. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
  6. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    I think they will always manage to consign a handful of excellent pieces like the Rondine or other concepts from years past, or the all original Shelby Cobras and matching numbers Mopars or Vettes. I would say B-J is THE auction for 50s and 60s quality American iron; Craig has managed to make an atmosphere for the seller to get the most $$$ for his car, and the buyers will follow the goods. If you want European or Pre-War classics, wait until August at Pebble. Of course, there's 1000 other misfit pieces at B-J to wade through to find those 10-15 quality lots, but for the astute collector it is certainly an auction you can't ignore.

7. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Thats just plain stupid. $1,000,000 for a car that will cost $95,000 - $100,000 when it hits the showrooms.

The Serial #1 I dont believe means an F'ing thing.

Just a guy with too much money.....and IMO a complete waste of it on a soon to be production car, where there will be literaly THOUSANDS of them.

SO WHAT!!!!!!

Simply a case of a big ego, lots of money, and look at me...I GOT THE FIRST ONE.

$1,000,000 IMO on the ZR1 is just a waste of a place to put your money.

.......But, he can sit and look at it now in his garage with a nice bonner.

Barret-Jackson has turned into a TV soap opera with guys bidding just for the sake of being on Television. It turns into a jerk-off spectacular for the masses at home to watch.

There are very nice cars running thru that do deserve the money and attention they get....but **** like is just mind-numbing.

SM

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Just because they have money doesnt mean they have brains :D:D:D:D

I thought it was over the top as well, but i cant say im surprised, plus the money went to a charity, and im sure the guy that spent 1M on this car.........his wife will be holding an event and invite the same people where they will spend 500K on a knife at a silent auction. It works that way at the top. Its all about your friends and supporting causes...plus im sure the tax credit he will get for buying it may have actually saved him some dollars to the IRS.

It is what it is !

9. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Tax
    Write
    -
    Off

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I saw one car (not this one) being sold to benefit a charity that made me think WTF.

Reminded me of George Costanza's "The Human Fund", "money for people".

11. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I never relized Jay was a porsche guy. You have to admire his passion for cars and how famous he is yet he is still extremly down to earth IMO. I thought it was very neat when he picked up the little girl and took a picture with her, not many famous people would do that in this day and age.

12. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman

I am no stranger to money, charities, write off's, or how to spend it....

The fact of the matter is that the car was sold for $1,000,000

God bless the charity.....give till it hurts I say.

Its a $95,000 car that will be made at the rate of 3,000 plus a year.

Still retarded.... BJ still is an ******* soap opera

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I'm missing the problem. The guy's a collector, he had the money, it went to a good cause. Why are you mad about how he spent HIS money? Did he overpay? We'll find out in 40 years when Vin #001 2009 ZR1 goes up for auction. Sadly, I'll be dead.

Also, production on the ZR1 is capped at about 2000 units a year because of engine production capacity (the LS9 is being made in the performance build center along with the LS7 (Z06 7L) and the supercharged Northstar in the XLR-V) and carbon fiber availability.

Jimmy

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

You obviously have no knoweledge about this car. Besides that..who are you to judge what this guy spends his money on?? That money is probbably just one months worth of interest...chump change....

15. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Sounds like someone has a bad case of the "that should be ME's". Jealousy is a terrible thing!

Who are we to say how that guy should spend his money? He dropped around 3 million dollars in the space of a few hours. Must be nice. I'm sure he has the means to do that without really thinking about it - and good for him. If he can afford it (and obviously he can) and it makes him happy, then I would venture to say he's living a life most folks would love to live.

...or love to criticize as "more money than brains", "huge ego", and "boner from his look-at-me" Corvette.

Hey whatever floats your boat - I am sure the guy ain't losing any sleep over it.

16. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I heard they are only going to make 1000 of them.

17. F360CS

F360CS Karting

Aug 14, 2004
    MARLBORO, NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    ALLEN
    first off they will only be making no more than 2000 a year for 2 years, the carbon fiber and engine limits production. second i doubt you will ever get one for sticker, and who cares if the guy spent a million, good for him, its for charity.ill be getting one in late fall, and im happy to pay over sticker for a car that will blow away anything on the road.

18. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    No problem.

I am just amazed at the past 3 years or so as to what people BUY at the BJ auctions.

$1,000,000 for a ZR1 pre-production Corvette that will cost $95,000-$100,000 is just insane IN MY OPINION.

But thats just me.

19. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    I do have knowledge about the car and its auction.

Who are you to judge that I cant have an opinion...? Because yours is different???

The Barret Jackson auction this year was terrible....and that comes in from all the friends I spoke with that were there for the week.

The new trend seems to be Stupid money for cars that have little significance...OR...even that ones that due are being priced up at un-godly levels.

MY POINT IS, IS THAT I AM AMAZED AT WHAT PEOPLE BUY FOR SUCH RIDICULOUS MONEY....

Thats all.......

20. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Happy to see you are one that will pay over for merchandise. If it costs $1.00 your happy to pay $2.75

I guess Im oldfashioned on Buying at Value or below so my dollar guys further....

When youve overpaid and are happy to be blowing away anything on the road......Ill be happy to show you otherwise.

SM

21. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman

No Should have been me's...sorry to disapoint.

And I also dont covet or wish I had someone elses....

Who are you to say that I cant comment on the Car, the auction or what transpired?

Your opinion is as good as mine pal.

SM

22. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Suddenly the Reventon starts to look like good value. Imagine it going on BJ... it would go for what... 15mil???????

Definite signs of recession when prices on cars explode.

23. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    This obsession with American Iron is a bubble just waiting to burst. I mean fairly well optioned albeit ordinary Fords and Chevy's selling for six figures...give me a break. I don't want to be holding the bag when the bubble finally does pop.

24. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    I couldnt agree more...

The cars, and there are some, that were purchased RIGHT and CORRECTLY will be of at least the same or higher value on return for sure.

But some of the money people are throwing at stuff is just insane.

But hey...God bless the charities and all the sellers!!!!!

25. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Everything runs in cycles and this American Iron cycle is on the upside now. Will it crash? I don't know, nor does anyone else. If you're scared of "holding the bag", buy something other than cars. 599GTB's were going for $500K, 430 Spiders for $80 - $100K over sticker, will that end?

I guess the lesson is: If you've got the cash and want something bad enough...

Jimmy