Finally a driver! But mystery oil leak? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finally a driver! But mystery oil leak?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Artvonne, Jul 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    luckydynes said, "There's a couple things going on at that compression fitting . . . there's a flared portion on the "tube" piece that inserts into the gearbox (the piece that stops you getting the oil pan off) . .. meaning the compression fitting doesn't just seat against the fitting that's screwed into the gearbox . .. it sandwiches the flare of this "tube" piece."

Yes, your correct the two pieces sandwich together. But unless there is a burr or the parts are loose, it shouldnt leak there. Both my cars had that tube nut extremely tight, so I would suggest making sure the parts surfaces are clean and that the nut is good and snug. Maybe a light coating of some RTV on the surfaces after a thorough cleaning would help?

ham308. Yes, I got that leak fixed, but another showed up later at the main bearing seal behind the flywheel. I started another thread about removing the engine for a major service, and am now in the process of a full blown overhaul with new oversize higher CR pistons, new bearings, exhaust valves, etc., etc..

2. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wouldnt have any problem replacing the nuts, but am curious by what process the nuts are locked to the threads. The OEM nuts are a distorted thread lock nut. What locks yours on??

3. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    The short answer is - the correct tightening torque. Just to explain, part of my job is laying out bolted joints for production diesel engines. Our experience is that most self locking systems are not worth relying on and the important thing is to get the right preload and mating surfaces. If you have to rely on the self locking features you have probably already lost the preload. The preload would be around 7 tons and together with the good quality washer it would not be going anywhere. OK I might have put some locktite in there as well just to be double-double sure. :)

good luck with the full re-build,
    Richard

4. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Does anyone know why they use these specific nuts with the four cutouts?? It's obviously not a clearance issue as you can easily fit a normal hex socket on as shown in your photo. Maybe the nut is used somewhere in the gearbox where clearance is an issue and the cam drive shafts happened to be the same size and thread pitch so they put them on there also??

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There are four size of sockets used on the 308 to remove those design of nuts. There are the four gearbox nuts, the clutch shaft transfer gear nut, the two timing belt drive sprocket nuts, the rear stub axle nuts, and the steering wheel nut. As far as I remember the drive sprocket nuts are alone and not used anywhere else.

Why did they use them? Unknown. A standard six point nut is plenty capable of the torque required, so the only feasable explanation is to either make you take the car to be serviced at the dealer, or fork over the $$$$$$ for the sockets. Those nuts are all quite expensive too. The gearbox nuts are $80 each through Eurospares, and with the clutch nut at $50, and the $400 to buy the four sockets, youve spent almost $800 just to take the gearbox apart.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #31 Wade, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This socket on ebay doesn't look quite like the factory tool but it'll probably do the job (so they say).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-Timing-Belt-Groove-Nut-Socket-Engine-Tool_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63703QQihZ002QQitemZ120159184595QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #32 Wade, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017