Shades of Rosso Corsa | FerrariChat

Shades of Rosso Corsa

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MondialNeil, Jan 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Hi Guys

How many shades of Rossa Corsa are there ?

The rear end of my car seems to be Rossa Corsa 300/9 which it sould be but, the front end appears to be a slightly darker red.

I mean if you stand back from the car you don't notice any difference.

I only noticed the difference when I painted one of the headlight pods in Rossa Corsa 300/9, it stood out like a sore thumb as the surrounding red is slightly darker.

I therefore think the front end has been painted in a different shade of Rossa Corsa by mistake hence my question above.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Neil.

2. hackrider

hackrider Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lacquer is difficult to find a shop to shoot so it may be an acrylic or enamel matched close.

Hack

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The original Rosso Corsa was FER 300 supplied by Glasurit.

I believe that whenever Ferrari changed paint suppliers, they added a '/n' to identifiy the particular supplier's formula. However, All Rosso Corsas should be very close in color.

Red is infamous for fading with time & daylight.

What you are most likely encountering is that the front end was mixed exactly to the correct formula, but the rear had faded away from the original color. Or perhaps the front was exactly color matched to the rear when applied, but the two paints have faded differently.

Or, as hackrider mentioned, it may be the closest match available in the paint system used for the resprayed end.

Yet another possibility is that the front was sprayed with a 2 stage (base/clear) system.

An auto paint store with a color scanner can scan each end of the car & tell you which one is closest to the original color.

If you want the paint to match & be absolutely certain it's going to continue to match over the years, you're going to have to have the entire car resprayed with a single batch of paint.

4. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Cheers guys for taking the time to reply, off to the paint shop tomorrow.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Indeed here we cannot shoot the high VOC paints any longer, so the modern systems are totally different, but as noted the Computer Matching is quite precise....try to find a panel like the door strike plate area that has seen minimal UV exposure and use that!

6. bobby 1

bobby 1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2007
    Keep any ferrari a garage queen and waxed---the color will be the same all over the car--

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 miketuason, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Verell, So what does the /6 means?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    OK, you've got me. I've always thought the /6 was added when another vendor replaced Glasurit.

A auto paint shop should be able look up the mixing formula for both FER 300 & FER 300/6 & tell you the % of various tints that are added to make up either color.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Mondialneil Hello! Are you by chance spraying this with a "rattle can" that a paint shop mixed up for you? If so bring back the can and tell them the match is way off and you would like them to follow the "cume" guide to the gram and mix you another can. Its really easy to change the color by one extra drop of white or black when mixing small amounts of paint Also alot of colors will look lighter until they dry down a bit (24hours) hope this helps! Kim

10. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    308 Milano, cheers for the advice.

11. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Found what colour on the front of my car is and it is Rossa Corsa 300/12 when it should be 300/9.

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Please help I'm looking for the PPG paint code of the Rossa Corsa 300/6 Thank you.:)

13. Delphia37

Delphia37 Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Don
    Hi,
    This reply may be a bit late BUT there are several shades of the famous Ferrari red. I have seen 300/6, 300/9 & 300/12 which is what my 1991 348tb sports.
    For years i thought that 'Ferrari red' was 'Ferrari red'!
    Good luck with finding the info you need.
    Don

14. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    As previously discussed an issue, that is more prevalent with reds, is that some manufacture's paint will not make an exact match for some colors. In the 70's I worked in a body shop and we would use PPG paint for some cars and Dupont for others. In some cases, the paint book would say that it can't make an exact match for a certain color.

Another variable is the paint mixer's care and handling of the paints. The requirements back then were the mixing machine for the bases and tints had to run for 15 minutes before you could begin to measure/mix your specific paint. Recently I bought some paint at the end of the day and I didn't even hear the mixing machine run. This white paint did not match very well.
    When the paint is mixed there can be some operator error and the wrong quantity of a tint is added--when mixing paint, you really can't go back and especially with red, they don't like to throw it away.

Mark