Have F1 Teams Found Way To ByPass New ECU? (Cheat) | FerrariChat

Have F1 Teams Found Way To ByPass New ECU? (Cheat)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

From Planet F1. Anybody suprised at all. That first start in Australia will lead to some amazing scrutiny!!! This is only the beginning for the hacking :)

Trulli 'suspicious' about starting procedures
    Wednesday 23rd January 2008

Formula One officials started the year by making a big fuss about the outlawing of electronic driver aids like traction control, engine braking and launch control, but Jarno Trulli believes teams have already found away around this.

The McLaren Electronics Systems (MES) standard ECU was introduced at the beginning of 2008, which means drivers need more clutch control, and officials hope it will create more drama at the start of races.

However, Toyota's Trulli fears some teams are not finding it that difficult to get around the electronic limitations of Formula One's mandatory standard ECU.

Trulli told Italian magazine Autosprint: "I'm not going to name any names, but I think that some teams have already found a way to automate the starting procedure and reduce to the minimum the chance of spinning the wheels under acceleration.

"I'm not saying someone's cheating, even though we've received some conflicting information at Toyota.

"But having analysed the behaviour on the track both now and in the tests in December, the changes between them are many - and in several cases suspicious

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (from autosport)

Jarno Trulli fears that some teams have found a way to get around the electronic limitations of Formula One's mandatory standard ECU, are now able to simulate launch control - which was supposed to have been outlawed this year.

The McLaren Electronics Systems (MES) standard ECU has been introduced for 2008, resulting in the effective outlawing of electronic driver aids like traction control, engine braking and launch control.

Although it was hoped that the absence of launch control would lead to more drama at the start of races, with drivers now needing more clutch control and having to handle wheelspin, Trulli thinks not everyone will be on a level playing field when the season kicks off in Melbourne.

He believes that some teams have found a way to make their start procedure automatic, which will hand their drivers a big advantage when the lights go out.

"I'm not going to name any names, but I think that some teams have already found a way to automate the starting procedure and reduce to the minimum the chance of spinning the wheels under acceleration," he was quoted as saying by Italian magazine Autosprint.

"I'm not saying someone's cheating, even though we've received some conflicting information at Toyota.

"But having analyzed the behaviour on the track both now and in the tests in December, the changes between them are many - and in several cases suspicious."

Electronic launch control was banned in 2004, however, mechanical launch control - where the clutch was preloaded based on data away from starting grid - was allowed until the end of last year.

Paddock sources have suggested that some cars do sound different under heavy acceleration, with this first being noticed at the first corner at Jerez during last week's test.

3. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    hey look at that, other f1 teams are cheating...... somehow McLaren must be behind the whole thing.
    can't wait to see how this turns out, maybe this will shut some of the McLaren haters up...and you'll finally admit that ALL teams cheat!

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    This is a difficult thing... if teams altered the ECU software or hardware in a way that it's now capable of for example launch control, it would be cheating. If teams just used the functions the ECU officially offers and were able to produce some kind of launch control, it's legal (and clever). I'd love to see the specifications of that ECU.

5. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    No doubt

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You mean engineers are doing what they are paid to do exploiting the already far to restricted rules, good luck to them let the FIA sort it out.

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

:) I bet Max M has a headache already!

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There's nothing in his head to ache ;)

9. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Yes since trying to develop and improve a standardized component where the rules are hazy is totally the same as using another teams internal documents on the construction and use of their car....

Yes all teams are trying to bend the rules as far as they can, what McLaren did is considered a bit more than bending the rules.

10. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL!!! Air pressure maybe??

11. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

OH NOES!!

Cheating in motor racing! Unheard of!

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    That's what I meant in my post. Are they manipulating the ECU, i.e. cheating? Or are they just using its functionality to the biggest extent possible? 2008 will be interesting.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Only McLaren cheats. Ferrari explores the outer limits of the technical grey areas while parsing the textual context of the rules as written. A good case can be made for the argument that if you're not cheating you're not trying hard enough.

14. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    ...every football coach tells his linemen: "if you're not offsides once in a while, you're lazy !"

15. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Can't be true. ALL teams in F1 are surely above cheating.......

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Are you in the market for a bridge?

17. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    You mean things that come from Microsoft aren't completely secure and can be hacked, I had no idea :D. It was just a matter of time before the teams got some hackers to crack the ECU.

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, who makes those ECUs? ;)
    Are you surprised that teams went looking for the "back door" on those things? :p

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+1

McLaren certainly knows where the key is to the back door. Are they stupid enough after last season to use it? Who knows?

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

Laughable

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David