Interior leather cleaners... | FerrariChat

Interior leather cleaners...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by breakaway_16, Jan 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. breakaway_16

breakaway_16 Karting

Aug 31, 2006
    Canada
    Hey guys, having an issue with my choices of leather cleaners....I have tried Eagle one sprays, armour all wipes and those spunge things, and a no name brand (hoping for a miracle). The problem is like a week after you apply it, it starts to smell. Maybe its the sun hitting it but it is getting frustrating. Any advise from the pro's. Thanks guys.

2. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
  3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Leatherique.....although Leatherique is more well-known for rejuvinating old/dried-out leather and offering products to re-dye the leather to factory colors. I have used their cleaner and it appears to work very well. I have also used Lexol to clean leather with success. Wherever leather 'creases', however, dirt will work-itself into the crease and not come out just by wiping the surface - you need to use a brush.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes it does. Works great and smells great.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Does it darken the leather? I just ordered the spray-on product. My leather's new, just want to clean up the usual dust that comes through use.

7. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    you mean you actually drive that car? can't imagine where you acquire dirt.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I source it through Ferrari UK - it's original dust from the factory circa 1987. Expensive though. :(

9. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    What is the method used for applying the cleaner. When I try to apply Lexol with a rag I feel it doesn't get the dirt out...is there a special brush or sponge I should be using?

Thanks for the suggestions...maybe the detail guys have a trick they can share.

10. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    + a billion.:)

Leatherique is hands down the best.

I just picked this stuff up too. http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=207 Some people are saying that it works great. We'll see.

Just to clarify, simply applying the cleaner doesn't make the dirt come out. You have to get the dirt out (not by force, just by using the proper tools). Try using a microfiber towel - it has a lot of grab to it. Keep flipping the towel or just grab a new one from time to time. As it becomes loaded down with cleaner and dirt, the surface of the towel becomes smooth and less effective and then you're just smearing cleaner on the seats. Kind of like brushing your teeth with your finger.:D Also, pick up a brush like this http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html . It works great to loosen up the dirt.

11. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    Like the others said....Leatherique works wonders!

12. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Leatherique is wonderful stuff for restoration and deep re-hydration. It is not a quick process by any measure, and does not work well if its cold (like much of the USA right now). You NEED to follow the directions to the "T" for best results.

If you want a monthly cleaner........Lexol is hard to beat for an OTC. Massage it in with your hands really well, helps.

Leather is a porous material and loves to soak up everything. Use a cleaner, some light brushing and then wipe with your MF cloth turning it often to pick up the debris. If your seats are warm everything works better.........roll up the windows and let everything heat up, apply the rehydrate of your choice and let it dwell for a good part of the day, then wipe of excess. Leather rots from the inside out, so while the outside may look good you may have not given the leather a good hydration.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    GREG

13. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I've used the Zaino bros. leather care/cleaner product and have been very happy with it. I think it works well and smells better than Lexol IMO.

14. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    just be careful,some will strip colour if it has been applied over the original colour.

15. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    there's someting to be said for factory dirt.
    i built a new house last year and still have the original dirt on the floor where gabriella resides.
    of coarse hers was imported as you alluded to.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    A damp microfiber cloth can do an adequate job for most everyday cleaning on leather. Try not to use a brush. I have used Griot's interior cleaner when needed. Griot's Leather Care is not a super good cleaner, more of a all in one cleaner/moisturizer in one. I like it because it is very mild, not harsh, and leaves a pleasant leather smell.

Leatherique products work well too, and the cleaner is okay. The Rejuvenator Oil is a mess to work with, I use it mostly for treating the dash on my 355. I soak it three or four times a year. 355 dashes are known for drying out, and the leather splitting and cracking. 11 years and mine looks great.

17. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    No experience with the spray-on however, the standard, (squeeze bottle) Leather Care showed no change in color tone. Just remember when applying, less is more.

18. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    +1 had great sucess with all their products

19. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +2, I've had great results with it.

20. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    #22 MobileJay, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have used Zaino Z-9 and Z-10. 9 is the cleaner and 10 is the conditioner. Smells amazing and works very very well. Here is a pic of a BMW that I did. Convertible and ALWAYS has the top down, so after years and years of driving like that it became nasty. Zaino, lots of it to clean and then condition.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Horses ? speaking
    The correct way to use our products is:
    1. Put the Rejuvinator Oil in a spray bottle
    2. Spray on leather
    3. Drink wine and relax
    4. After at LEAST 6 hours Put the Prestine Clean in a Spray Bottle ( I am CHEAP I just dump the first bottle back into the container and reuse it)
    5. Sray the Prestine CLean ON TOP of the Rejuvinator Oil and wipe with an old "T" shirt.
    6. Enjoy car

The Rejuvinator Oil gets UNDER the dirt and floats it to the surface, the Prestine Clean removes that dirt.

Got a show Saturday so I just MIST not a lot just a MIST of Prestine Clean and wipe with "T" shirt. Save the Micro Fibers for the paint, not needed. VERY DIRTY LEATHER, not in a Ferrari ever, use a tooth brush, not your wifes.

22. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    George, your stuff is the very best!:)

23. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Thank you, just feel that every once in awile I need to set the records so that we can seperate fact from fiction.