400 S/Steel Exhaust and Manifold Pictures | FerrariChat

400 S/Steel Exhaust and Manifold Pictures

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by fez1238, Jan 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    #1 fez1238, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All

Just thought I would post these pictures of Quicksilvers (England) Stainless Steel combo for a 400i and 412.

As a former Boy Scout I like to be prepared and got a quote sent to me by Quicksilver as they have been promoting their 'craftmanship' and 'engineering skills' in Classic Car magazines a lot in recent months. Apparently it takes ten days to make the full system.

Its a shame because I know of an otherwise excellent 400i at Eurospares (UK) that is being parted out because the Manifolds failed an inspection. Manifolds are roughly the same price as the exhaust - $1 difference!!.

I have no connection to Quicksilver and am not doing this to promote them I just love the pictures and if anyone is struggling to get exhaust and manifold parts this post may help them and they can Google the name.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Wow Those are beautiful. I bought a new center section (mild steel) from Ferrari UK, but if I have to buy manifold it would be hard to pass those up.

3. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Geez... that's a lot of tubing!!!

Looks great!

4. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    They look great. Let us know how the installation goes. So far I've only installed the center muffler section. The rear section looks like it may be a bit difficult winding it around the suspension. I hope you find the headers easier than they look. When the time comes Quicksilver will certainly be at the top of my list when I go shoping.

Al

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Fez

I have two responses to your posting. The work by Quicksilver looks very good and I will certainly contact them if/when I need manifolds.

Is it an optical illusion or is one header bank considerably longer than the other ?

It blows my mind that our 4.8 L V-12 needs 8 silencers / resonators. Dave Stacy and I have similar (maybe identical) exhausts with a single large silencer aft of the rear axle. I get lots of compliments about the sound! Clearly the rear resonators of the Quicksilver package will not do the job, but 8 mufflers??

Ken

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I never understood the need for so many mid-section silencers either. On my car, they were removed and replaced with a single modern cat on each side, leaving the resonators at the rear in place. The sound is quite nice, with a reasonable roar when I put my foot in it, but civilized and not tiring for long drives. I also can remove the center sections and replace with "test pipes", which increases the sound of course, but to a still acceptable level. I actually prefer the more sporty sound with the test pipes.

John

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ken, who makes your resonator & is it a stock or sport exhaust line?

How so? I haven't cut into my old center or rear sections yet to see how they differ although I think that'll be happening sooner rather than later. Is the stock set-up consist of center silencers & rear resonators?

I think it was a gentlemanly thing; didn't want their GTs screaming 'Ferrari'. You can slip between the cracks w/ this GT.

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The stub-outs on the high side of the manifolds.....I assume these aren't for emissions, are they? Pretty tough location to get to when the headers are hot. Looks like factory manifolds located these adjacent to the lower flange. Weren't these used for the factory to dial in each motor? The CIS tune-ups seems to only address the air volume/richness ratio for each bank via the one richness screw @ back side of the metering device, is it recommended to adjust each cylinder after factory set-up? Are the adjustment screws accessed below the small black hex socket screws on the top of the metering device? If so, anyone know the process?

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    I can not find any marks on the resonator / silencer units. They go to two twin outlets which have an ANSA part number on them. It looks like the dual outlet is welded to the silencer but they could have come as one assembly. I'm hoping they last a long time!

Dave, I think you have the same set up, do you know the origin of your silencers?

As for the fuel mixture the adjustment is for each bank not each cylinder. If you have a CO meter the job is very easy. Read a manual or I can PM you the page or two from my manual.
    Ken

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes I do. I just crawled under there last week as I was chamging the oil and saw ther manufacturer and number. Give me until tomorrow and I'll crawl under and get you what I can.

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ken,
    I was just wondering if the little black hex socket screws (6 on top of ea. fuel distributor) is the access point that the factory used to dial in ea. cyl.. I don't have a fuel inj. manual to confirm (via IPB) & wondered if this is addressed to any extent.
    I have supposedly balanced the banks out as you described using vacuum gauges teed off @ the hose that connects the exhaust rocker cover to the induction plenum. It was off a tad, adj. to equal, & from what I can tell, feels great (runs out smooth & quickly to 5K RPM in all 5 gears @ 30-40 % throttle). Only one thing bugging me, when I put my hands over the exhaust pipes on both sides, I noticed that one side has more air coming out than the other. I saw a Ferrari air mass meter on Ebay a while back w/buy it now to the tune of $800-$1000. I used to use the UNI-SYNs to balance the Strombergs on my TR6 (back in the early 70's) & compare plugs for richness content. Worked great for me then. What are your thoughts?
    And Yes, please send me any doc's you have w.r.t. aforementioned. Thanx!
    Bruce

13. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    I read the fuel injection section of the manual pretty thoroughly. As far as I know there is no way to adjust the relative fuel flow to each cylinder. There is an elaborate way to measure the flow to each cylinder using a bank of 6 rotometers. If one is getting too little flow it is time to clean or change the fuel injector. I do not believe there is an adjustment. The Bosch FI system needs an elaborate high pressure control block to do the complete testing in the manual. Your vacuum guage method of balancing the two banks is correct, but you need to do it at both idle and at elevated RPM because the idle setting is adjusted by the idle screws or bypass adjustment and the "load" balance is adjusted by the linkages.

However, based on what you have said you have not done the one adjustment that someone of your skill level (I'm a UniSyn guy too from several Lotus) can do. You need a CO meter to adjust the mixture for each bank. The only other tool needed is a long T-handle 3mm Allen wrench. The adjustment is down a small tube between the FI block and the air flow disc. It is normally covered with a rubber plug on top of the small brass tube. The GasTester is a modestly priced CO meter available from many specialty dealers on line.

I'll look for an update.
    Ken

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My car has stainless mufflers at the rear, 1 on each side.
    They are Ultra Flo. 8725 is stamped under the word Ultra Flo and the number 17277 in stamped under that.

15. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Ken,
    Thanks for your speedy reply! I do have & did use the GasTester as well as 3mm T-handle Allen wrench. I also followed recommendations w.r.t. backing off the richness adjmt. & slowly adjust'g up as well as plugging the tube after ea. adj.(vacuum leak) & run for a couple of min. to get an accurate CO reading as mentioned in other sections of this site (technical mostly). Boy, is that a touchy adjustment, also was careful not to press down on richness screw while adjusting so as to not push the plunger beyond the no return point (to avoid having to dismantle the dist. from the airbox & correct). Went back & forth a few times to get it dialed in the best I could.
    In regards to the linkage/idle adj./lg.hex by-pass screw, I bottomed out the Idle screws & adj. the lg. hex by-pass screw to balance @ idle, but did not know @ elevated RPM adj.; thanx for that info.. Elevated = 2500-3000RPM?
    I still feel an Air Mass meter is needed in conjunction with.
    Bruce

16. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    The manual says NOT to use the big hex adjustment unless you fail to achieve balance with the idle screws. The big hex should be full shut on both banks or if you don't get balance with the idle screws you adjust just one and keep the other closed. I got balance with both hex nuts closed. From my desk I forget what you are bypassing but I think it is the throttle plate. The hex opens a bypass cavity in the inlet header.

If you have $800-1000 to burn, go for it! I'm not sure what you will do when you have the readings. I would buy a manual first.

Dave
    I did a Google search on "Ultra Flo. 8725" and the only thing that came up was your posting on this thread! Any idea the source? I am hoping they last "forever" but it would be good to find a source. I think ANSA has something that will work for a price.

Ken

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I found them.

Looks like they are made by a company called Dynomax.
    http://www.dynomax.com/index.html
    http://www.a-1performance.com/ultra_flo/

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 dstacy, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    Mine are not like those. Mine are smooth on front and back i.e., no flange. I think mine must be ANSA, but DynoMax will be a good fall back position if ever needed.

I will send a picture of mine when I get a chance.
    Ken