Daytona 24 practice/qualifying **spoiler** | FerrariChat

Daytona 24 practice/qualifying **spoiler**

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jan 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Way to go, I'm happy . . . the #2 Samax car was 2nd in this morning's first practice. Congrats to Allan and group. The Brumos Racing #58 was first with a time of 1:42.175. The Samax car was .156 behind them. Unfortunately the 430 did not show a time, nor did the Mazda RX8 or a Corvette. The Ganassi car with Montoya and friends was in 14th being 1.156 off the leaders.

Carol

2. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    www.grandamerican.com

Just going over drivers entered I see Matt Varsha and Graham Rahal. Two I don't see who wanted a ride are Danica Patrick and Cristiano Da Matta. DaMatta was looking for Dr's clearance and would have been his first race since the deer incident at Road America. Too bad.

3. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There does not seem to be a very wide range of cars racing this year, Porsche,BMW, mazda, pontiac.... I miss the days of old when you would see more types of cars

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    1st Qualifying:

DP - 1st #60 - Rahal/Wilson + others; Montoya and friends are 6th; my car #2 is 14th; one of the Krohn DP has no time showing 25th in DP and third from bottom.

GT - 1st - Mazda RX-8 #70 followed by #56 Ferrari 430 CH; third is a TRG Porsche; 4th is Orbit (Porsche) - Johnny Mowlem. Ferrari #52 430 CH is showing no time.

GT= Porsche GT3, RX-8, F430 CH, Corvette, Mustand, BMW M6, Pontiac GXP.R

Very primitive live timing but better than nothing!

Time to do barn chores so I can "watch" the next practice.

Carol

5. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    The live timing is better if you click on the "Advanced" button in the top right of the window. It has most (but not quite all) of the features that were in the old version now.

Also, if you go here, http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/multimedia/tv.cfm , Grand-Am now has live video webcameras going... and while I was watching (the Koni ST qualifying... thats the one I'm most interested in...) the speed of the webcast was pretty good.

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Is Enge going to get kicked out of Grand Am just like in ALMS?

7. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I'm a bit surprised to see the Ferrari 430 CH up there in the time sheets considering it's not a usual competitor in the series, but rock on.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey Robert, Jr., how did you guys place?

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Per Autosport this morning . . .

Michael Shank Racing claimed the top two positions in qualifying for the 2008 Rolex 24 at Daytona, with Oswaldo Negri Jr beating teammate AJ Allmendinger to pole by just 0.009 seconds.

Negi, who will share his Riley-Ford with Mark Patterson and Champ Car frontrunners Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal, lapped in 1:40.793 - nearly three seconds faster than last year's pole time.

Riley-Matthews/Bob Stallings Racing's Marc Goossens held the top spot in the early part of the 15-minute Daytona Prototype qualifying session, before the MSR cars edged ahead with in the closing stages.

NASCAR driver Allmendinger beat Negri's first effort by 0.156 seconds, but the Brazilian retaliated with three minutes remaining, pushing his teammate back into second place.

The SunTrust Racing and AIM Autosport entries complete the top five, ahead of last year's Daytona 24 Hours winners Scott Pruett and Juan Pablo Montoya, who this season share their Ganassi Riley-Lexus with Memo Rojas and Dario Franchitti.

Reigning Grand-Am series champions Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty settled for 11th position in the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings car that will be co-driven by NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and 1996 Champ Car title winner Jimmy Vasser.

In the GT class, SpeedSource Mazda driver Sylvain Tremblay beat Christian Montanari's Ferrari 430 to pole position, with TRG driver Spencer Pumpelly the best of the Porsche runners in third.

Leading qualifying positions:

Pos Drivers Car Time
    1. Negri/Patterson/Rahal/Wilson Ford Riley 1:40.793
    2. Allmendinger/Frisselle/James/Pew Ford Riley 1:40.802
    3. Goossens/Hunter-Reay/Matthews/O'Connell Pontiac Riley 1:41.041
    4. Angelelli/Taylor/Taylor/Valiante Pontiac Riley 1:41.161
    5. Braun/Frisselle/Ranger/Wilkins Ford Riley 1:41.413
    6. Franchitti/Montoya/Pruett/Rojas Lexus Riley 1:41.505
    7. Donohue/Law/Rice Porsche Riley 1:41.764
    8. Dalziel/Duno/Enge/Primat Pontiac Riley 1:41.878
    9. Cullin/Gregoire/Plumb/Shovlin/Wahl BMW Riley 1:41.975
    10. Dixon/Duran/Lloyd/Wheldon Lexus Riley 1:41.996
    11. Fogarty/Gurney/Johnson/Vasser Pontiac Riley 1:42.160
    12. Auberlen/Hand/Long/Wallace Porsche Crawford 1:42.230
    13. Briscoe/Busch/Castroneves Pontiac Riley 1:42.257
    14. Luhr/McNish/Rockenfeller/Zogaib Pontiac Riley 1:42.271
    15. Jonsson/Turner/Zonta Pontiac Riley 1:42.296
    16. Gardel/Gidley/Gollin/Jaeger Ford Doran 1:42.526
    17. Barbosa/Borcheller/France/Haywood Porsche Riley 1:42.816
    18. Lester/Lewis Lexus Riley 1:42.936
    19. Bell/Bell/Dallenbach/Kasemets/Schramm Pontiac Riley 1:43.135
    20. Andretti/Carpenter/Foyt/George/Meira Porsche Crawford 1:43.342

Interesting that the other Krohn car didn't make the top 20. I'm surprised with Ganassi being down in 6th. My guys are in 14th but it's 24 hours and anything can happen.

Carol

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Carole, surprised you're following this event! <grin> I hope your "boys" do well. Allan sounded very excited about it. He's a real racer, from F3, F3000 and F1 through today.

Start position doesn't really matter much in this race. Keeping your nose clean does.

I have quite a few friends and clients running in the event. Wishing them all the best. Wouldn't be surprised if they levy a "lead trophy tech bulletin" on the Ferrari today or tomorrow...

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Good morning Peter. Surprise, surprise I know, my interest started last October when Allan told us he had something in the works for Daytona if Dr. U okayed it. Somehow I couldn't see him in the Nascar race so this had to be it. Glad he's got good teammates this year. You know, there's something about "watching" the live timing screen that gets the blood flowing. I readily admit that I don't like the look of the cookie cutter DP's - preference is the Brumos Porsche (always has been) but as John and I were talking - it's a sportscar race and in essence marks the beginning of another full season for us. You're absolutely right on about starting positions in a long race. . . .it's who's still around at the end. I vividly remember commenting to John at Le Mans crossing the Dunlop bridge at dawn that the Krohn Ferrari is running all alone and has been - unlike much of the other competition - John said same thing about keeping your nose clean - it paid off and got him on the podium.

Best to your friends and clients in the event - we'll be watching on tv as well as recording the event in case we decide to go back to the Stock Show in Fort Worth tomorrow. Hoping to meet you this year - Sebring? Mid-Ohio?

Have a great day.
    Carol

Robert - thanks for the insight on the advanced button - it works!

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yes, Carol, I'll plan on looking you up at Sebring. Working with a few folks at the vintage event leading up to the 12 Hours.

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #13 enjoythemusic, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice weather here in Daytona, though got cold towards the later part of yesterday. Today is overcast a bit.

Anywho, fun fun here and glad to see the white Ferrari work out their under steering problem. The red Ferrari had an incident early on yesterday and they were taking their time to fix it. Seems the red car is taking T1 slow on entry... Anywho, a few pics as am really enjoying hanging out in the hot pits.

NOTE: All pics are mine, property of Steven R. Rochlin / Enjoy the Track and ARE NOT to be redistributed or posted anywhere else. Normal copyrights apply.

Have PLENTY more great shots, some for sale...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hey, Rob. Congrats on Patrick running third in Practice 4.

15. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    +1. Glad to see it was allowed to be competitive.

16. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks! It was actually Andrew Carbonell that put in the time. Patrick has yet to really get accustomed to the car or to the track, and therefore is still a little bit slower.

Anyways, answering your first post (just not seeing it...). Sam Stuard qualified our 62 car in 10th place, while Patrick qualified the 63 in 33rd. We were doing pretty well at the beginning, losing a few spots, gaining a few spots here and there. After about an hour though, someone hit Sam Stuard and spun him several times. Luckily the damage wasn't great enough to incapacitate the car, so he drove it on around to the pits and we refueled and put the other driver in the car. Sadly the track stayed green during this time, and that car ended up dropping down to around 36-37. Ofcourse, not one lap later, a full course caution was thrown (!), but we were only able to get a few places back. The 62 car ended up finishing 30th.

Patrick was able to gain quite a few spots through the racing for a while and was doing pretty well. However, he was also hit and spun during a green flag lap as well. Luckily he was also able to continue, so he brought it in and we put Andrew Carbonell into the car. He was able to immediately gain back the few places that he could (the gap between him and the next guy was just too large...). Overall, Andrew was able to get the 63 car back to 33rd, so no places gained or lost for that car.

Overall, we were fairly disappointed with the race result (we know we have some fast cars... our practice times prove that!). Its sometimes surprising how a small hit can completely kill our competitive chances. But, we are happy that we were able to get both cars (and the drivers) across the finish line without any serious damage, and we are able to come away with more experience, and plenty of time to work on the cars again for the next race (which isn't until the end of May!). Since this is the absolute worst track for us (we don't exactly have a torque-e car, which this track loves), we are going in to the rest of the season knowing that we should be able to do even better.

Hopefully the post wasn't too long!