Parking Fine ??? | FerrariChat

Parking Fine ???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360stimo, Jan 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Parked up in Putney today, bought a ticket, put it on the dash above the steering wheel. Came back to the car well within the time i had paid for. Found a parking fine on my window. £120 or £60 if i pay quickly. The ticket i placed on the dash had moved a little but was still in clear view for the warden to see and the fine claims i had no ticket at all.

I have the ticket and took photos of where it was displayed on the car. Whats my chances of getting off? Thinking about it, they could say that the ticket wasn't displayed properly and i put it back in the window when i got back???

Do Wardens take photos of everything now as that would show my ticket in the window !!!

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Chris

If you read this http://www.parkingticket.co.uk/em.html I think it means that if the parking attendant can't see the ticket then you have to pay. It's going to be his word, unless they take photos and of that I have no idea.

3. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks Francis, thats what i though, even though i paid and the ticket is clearly visable, im still buggered !!! £60 bloody quid.

Thats enough for a couple of beers down where i live !!!!

4. wildshirts

wildshirts Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2007
    Even though you have a ticket that clearly states that you purchased it and you were still within the time slot!!!!!! This country gets worse every day.

Sorry to hear about it, lets hope you get some justice.

Si

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Here's another useful site. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A16059648

If you have your paid parking ticket showing that it was valid, it might be worth apealing, you never know. Though I guess their argument would be that there is no proof the ticket was bought for your car.

6. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    If i give a go to try and get them to erase it and i fail, will i have to pay the £120 fine instead of £60

7. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I'm sure that somewhere on those sites it said that they would normally allow you to pay the discounted amount if your appeal failed

8. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks Francis. Going to have a good read through those sites and give it a go. I mean i did nothing wrong so i shouldn't have to pay

9. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    appeal mate, you have nowt to lose, the fine will remain at £60 whilst "under appeal"

10. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Was this a Council issued ticket, or issued by a private parking company?

The parking forum on Pepipoo contains loads of info on both. --> http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Edit: First post. Hello everyone.

11. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

I find the best course of action is to engage the perpetrators in correspondence. Most bureaucrats are less than industrious and once you set a war of attrition against them they almost always give up. Bear in mind that all the while you are corresponding there is no necessity to settle the 'fine.'

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

12. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    Remember it is called "pay and display". You have to do both. The ticket has to be affixed to the windscreen, not placed on the dash. Traffic wardens aren't blessed with any intelligence, else they'd be doing something more meaningful with their life. They are probably on commission too so it is not in their interest to turn a blind eye to a failure to comply with the rules.

Regards
    Andrew

13. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    This is what i did recently when i got a ticket in London and got off completely. I did buy a ticket (and display it) but parked in a residents space in front of the ones i should have parked in. I sent a letter saying how sorry i was and that i was not familiar with the area etc etc etc. I got a letter back saying because they didnt get back to me quick enough there will be no fine to pay. I have actually got off another one using the same kind of letter.

14. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Chris,

Appeal against it. I once put a ticket in my window and when I shut the door the wind blew it on the floor. When I got back to the car, I had a parking ticket. I wrote to the issueing body, attaching the ticket that I had bought explaining the situation, although technically it was my fault.

They wrote back, cancelling the fine. Worth a shout

15. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Chris,

Happend to me in Putney once, near the park. I complained to the council and "just this once" they let me go. I did write in mind you, a phone call won't do it.

Wandsworth Wardens are total and utter tools of the highest order !!

16. dream355r

dream355r Rookie

Jan 24, 2007
    scotland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi

Sitting in Starbucks last week I watched a warden issue a parking ticket in George Street Edinburgh - he took loads of pictures ...of the window...the front of the car ....the rear of the car ...close up and distance shots ...he even stood in the middle of the road to take one of the adjacent cars and then he took one of the parking restrictions sign..oh the wonder of digital cameras !!

Edinburgh hates cars in centre of town...legacy of transport guru David Begg. I suspect all councils are different though.

Funny thing was the lady owner of the car returned and pleaded not to issue the ticket...much gesticulation ....I think she had a ticket but was late ...he said no ...so she shut the car and left it in situ ...she already had a fine so why move it now ....or words to that effect !!

Personally I would write the apology letter and photocopy the ticket you had .....worth a go..

cheers
    Kevin

17. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks Guys. A carefully worded letter has been sent to Wandsworth Council. I sent it recorded delivery, but its a PO Box address and not sure if you can send a letter recorded delivery to a PO Box address.

We shall see what they say !

18. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Hey Pete,

saw your pics on Facebook. Looks like your having a good time out in the U S of A and seen some good metal too

Stimo

19. bazooka

bazooka Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Paulo Gambini
    Hi Chris, only just seen your post....
    Having had owned a retail store in Central London for many years I would recommend apealing if you still have the pay and display ticket that clearly shows you were paid up at the time the ticket was issued. Check out www.appealnow.co.uk . Also who's to say that the ticket was stuck to the windscreen and subsequently fell off. It's all down to the letter of the law and I think you'll be able to swing it. Just remember, don't admit that you placed it on the dashboard (an admission of guilt = instant £££'s for the council pockets) they don't care about mitigating circumstances and will just sieze the opportunity to "bang you to rights".
    I would suggest that you plead ignorance in your first letter to them and ask for photographic evidence to support their claim then take it from there. Best of luck, Bazooka.

20. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Hmm. I think that's a bot of a sweeping statement. In some car parks the tickets are not sticky and the instructions are to place them on the dashboard.

Strictly speaking if a ticket becomes unstuck and falls off, you have committed an offence. It's the same with the tax disc. Your are required to "display" the ticket. Doesn't mean it's not worth appealing though.

21. bazooka

bazooka Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Paulo Gambini
    Hey Francis, I take your point.
    However, I think the most important thing here is that every resonable step was taken to display the ticket correctly. If the council think you may be pulling a fast one and picking up used tickets then ask for cctv footage to back up your story.
    If you appeal nicely and show evidence of a valid ticket then I see no reason why they would bother taking it to appeal....I would definately give him a 60-70% chance of an "on this occasion" letter coming back if he appeal's on the grounds that the contravention did not occur and shows that he would "be grateful if they would consider exercising their goodwill and understanding over this matter and cancel the Penalty Charge Notice."

22. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Got a letter this morning asking me to now pay £120 as i didn't pay the reduced amount in the 14 day period. This will go up to £180 if i don't pay in 28 days.

So they have not 'recieved' my letter and treating this as someone who has simply ignored the penalty notice.

What to o now, might go down there and get angry

23. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I bought a ticket, only had a £1 coin and needed 10 mins at my friends. The coin gave me two hours so put it in, took my ticket and out it on the window. Came back 15mins later and noticed a penalty chare notice on the window. Looked at my ticket on the windscreen and it had expired some 3 hours earlier!! Turns out the last person who used the machine forgot to take their ticket and i took theres, leaving mine in the slot, IT WAS STILL THERE!!

Anyway, i appealed and argued that I had both tickets and all the times tallied up etc, blah blah blah. Eventually had to see the independent adjudicator some months later and they withdrew the claim. It is very very difficult to get away with it as it all comes down to the fact "their was not a valid ticket on my window". How can you argue with that, it was true but i just think some good manners and understanding should come to play from their side and it did in my case.

Took numerous letters back and forth and several phone calls!

Should not have to.

I believe that is the case

it is just one of those things that has to be done to appeal. Even drawing little stupid sketches helps a treat, may even give them a laugh!

Yup and that is what they will use against you the whole time, that you didnt "pay and display", *******'s, its so annoying :D

You were lucky by the sounds of it

Didnt you send recorded? Have you called them? I think they'll sort that out to be honest if you appeal

24. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Assuming this is a council issued ticket then the Notice To Owner (NTO) should provide you with details on how you can make formal representations against the ticket. The letter you sent would only have been an informal challenge, which I don't think they are obligated to respond to, although one could argue that having provided an address to send an enquiry to they should have responded to it. If you wish to fight it send the NTO back with the box ticked to state that the contravention did not occur, saying you displayed a valid ticket. They may well reject your representations, and you'll have to go through the adjudicator, so ensure that you can provide enough evidence to an independant adjudicator that a ticket was displayed.

Send all correspondence recorded delivery so they can't use the "never got it" excuse.

Edit: This link provides a bit more info and the Pepipoo site could also be useful.

25. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Just noticed something. On the recent letter they sent me, they have addressed it to not only me at my current address, but this time they have also sent it to my at my address with my company name on it. Something they would not have known had they not recieved my letter and read it. My company is not registered to my home address.