Wheels/Tires | FerrariChat

Wheels/Tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by TGF, Jan 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1 TGF, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am running TRXs on 390s (bottom pic). Everything was fine last summer, but I don't think I want to push my luck. I read up on tire markings and studied mine, but I am not sure which is the right number to look at. In either case, it looks to me like these are pre-2000 tires, making them 8 years old at least and therefore candidates for replacement. Just for my edification, can you tell me which number is the correct number for IDing the week and year of production?

I do not want to buy another set of TRX tires, so I need tires and wheels. If you want to look relatively OEM, the superperformance wheels seem to be the only realistic option, but I am wondering whether to get 4 or 5. The next to last pic is my present spare. It says Dino on it, so maybe it's a GT4 wheel? I believe it's also a 14", so I probably ought to sell it an buy a 5th wheel, which I assume Superperformance will cheerfully sell me for a 25% hike over the 4-wheel cost.

Any thoughts? For those with superperformance wheels, what tires (size/make) are you running? Are the 390s or Dino wheel worth anything or should I just hold them in case I sell someday to someone who is really into keeping this original?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    #2 chairpilot, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently did this same swap to 16" repos and BFG's. My TRX's are over 10 yrs old, beyond Michelin's "recommended" use life. Too bad as my TRX's have over 50% tread left and look great. No takers on mine or another guy's yet - see both on the Fchat ads. TRX's are probably still good for show cars as an "original look" feature for points.

Your Pirelli spare looks to be from a GT4 or maybe a 246 Dino, not a 308 (Euro or otherwise).

Look for a set of text & numbers after "DOT" like: DOT xxx...xx.xxx..... The numbers in a circle are the date portion (my tire - pictured- the "515" indicates 51st week (51) of 1995 (5) according to Michelin tech support. So that would be the 3rd week in Dec 1995

3. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Tom,

I forgot to mention, flip the tire around as the DOT codes (at least on mine) are only on one side. My tires have similar numbers to yyours on the opposite side which do not appear to mean anything - date wise.

4. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks - found another tire with the code on the outside. The one in the last pic actually. It's 328. ;) So technically I have most of the driving season before the hard cut-off. Seems unwise to push it, even though the tires are in fabulous shape visually. It does mean that I will wait a bit (near spring thaw) to order some, though.