HDTV Question | FerrariChat

HDTV Question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by d-kauf, Jan 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    My 42" plasma is a few years old and it has a DVI port instead of an HDMI port. No big deal, right? I bought an HDMI to DVI cable to run from the cable box to the TV. Well the tv recognizes the signal but I don't think the tv is HDCP compliant because an error messgae comes up saying there are copyright issues and thus the DVI port can't be used. So I am currently using component.

Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the HDCP verification? I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the tv, but could it be the Cox Communication box?

Thanks

2. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    turn the tv on and when the cable box is turned off hit settings.

See if you can change it from here

Antony

3. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I'm pretty sure there is no way to bypass HDCP. HDCP is an encryption scheme to protect the source, so your cable box requires your TV to be HDCP compliant. There is no way to bypass this on the cable box since that would render HDCP completely useless. You won't really see an appreciable different, IMO, between HDMI and component.

4. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    The previous poster is correct. HDCP compliant is some bs copyright crapola that the cable company puts on the hdtv signal. Since HDMI is a completely digital audio and video signal they want to protect their signal. I have a 70 inch sony that is 1080p and every now and then the cable box complains about me hooking it up via the HDMI connection. The YPbPr connection is inferior to the HDMI and is not digital. Not as good a picture as the hdmi. When this happens on my box I beat the crap out of the box a little and then yank the power cord out of the back. Wait ten seconds and plug it back in. It reboots and then it displays fine for awhile. The last time it happened I shattered my controller on the tile in the kitchen. Its frustrating. I am still searching with a good tech friend how to disable it. I have argued many times with time warner on this issue.

My box actually has a sata plug on the back of it and I could theoretically transfer the hd programming that I recorded with the dvr to an external hard drive if I plugged it in via that sata drive. The only hurdle I would have to jump would be to design software that would aid me in the transfer of data. That is one reason why they copy protect it.

5. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I believe the real trick is that you turn off the cable box. Leave the tv on and turn the box back on. Since the tv is already on, it can't detect the lack of hdcp compliance. Therefore it works. Kiss my ... time warner.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    This is the only post in this thread that I understand...I think. Thanks ;)

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Early adopters get screwed. I'd just use the component/5 cable output, I doubt you'll notice a major difference on a 42

8. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks I will give this a try tonight.

9. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Didn't work :(

10. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    You may first want to do a Google search for "HDCP stripper". If you want to gain even more technical information about the topic, I suggest you research it on the avsforum by going to Google and inserting the following in the Google search box "hdcp stripper site:avsforum". However, by stripping the HDCP signal you may be violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and therefore be subject to wiretapping and waterboarding. It is a brave new world. How brave are you? :)

11. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    +1