348 Purchase Question | FerrariChat

348 Purchase Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by xpensivewino, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Gentlemen,
    I am looking at buying my first Ferrari. I have decided on a 348, as this is the top of my price range. I know everyone will try to steer me towards a 355, but it is out of my range. So with that being said, I wish to buy the 348 that will have the most investment potential. I plan on keeping the car long term and enjoying occasional drives. I am currently of the opinion, after doing much research, that a Series Special, or a Challenge car (street version) will be the 348 to own, and hold some value due to rarity. I f you had only one 348 to own and drive which would be the better car?? They both seem to be in the same price range, but the Challenge would seem to benefit from the latest technology and Spider exhaust system. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Forget "investment potential" (and "latest technology"!) You'll spend more servicing a 348 (or any modern-ish Ferrari) than you'll ever "make" on the car. You'll also be having too much fun to worry about it.

I know the 348 Brotherhood will be chiming in soon, but I'll toss in a plug from the 328 Syndicate. ;) For about the same price as a 348 Challenge, you could get a good early 328. Prices/market are solid, the cars have a wide following, and a lot of the nice old school features of the 348 (unassisted steering, 5-speed gearbox, etc) are carried over from the 328. Example:

http://www.motorcars-intl.com/vehicle_details.aspx?id=582&CAR=328%20G

But, buy what you want. If I were to choose among the 348s I'd get a black/tan SS for the upgraded seats. I just cringe a bit when I hear someone say they're buying a Ferrari because that's the most they can spend at the moment. My budget included included a bunch of cars from the 348 to the 308/328 to the TR and 355. I talked to several techs, two dealers, and maybe a half dozen Ferrari owners before making up my mind -- budget was just the start.

3. KEL-J

KEL-J Karting

Oct 4, 2006
  4. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In addition to what Bullfighter said you should have money available for that (just in case repair). No exotic is cheap to maintain and as far as an investment goes if you plan on driving it at all it will depreciate. I owned a 348 for a little while and it was a great car to drive. However if a 348 is all you can afford I would seriously consider a 328 and have some $$$ to keep in the bank.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Dealerships and owners had the opportunity to self-convert 348's into Challenge vehicles, so verifying a "real" Challege will be more and more problematic in the future.

Not such a problem with the SS. The registry alone will reduce that problem.

The 348 SS versions have the Motronic 2.7 and Spider exhaust, by the way.

As for "investment" potential, I wouldn't put many 348's into that classification...however, 348 Competizione LM's are clearly investment grade Ferraris.

You'll also want to look at the 348 Primer, linked below.

6. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Buy it, drive it like ya stole it. If it breaks and you can't afford to fix it, put it in the garage as motivation to make more money or learn to fix it yourself (it's only metal). Buy it for yourself only and not what other people think. Take the floor mats out and wear out the carpet-let the next guy use them to cover the holes you make having the time of your life. Show off the rock pecks in the front bumper you got at 170mph. Put up photos on the wall of the garage from the time you took it to the track. Use your car to get laid at least once. Scare the sh*t out of yourself. At the end of life, it's not how much cash you leave, but who can tell the best stories in the rest home, and who's fighting over that clapped-out Ferrari in the garage!!!! Above all, BUY IT and BUY THE BEST YOU CAN!

7. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    So far I appreciate the advice..I am not so worried about maintenance as I do all my own work. I was not aware that the S.S. has the Spider exhaust and Bosch 2.7. I love 328 and 308 GTB's as well, but unless I could buy a 330GT or earlier, then I believe one should then go for the newest car affordable, as none of the 308's, or 328's, or 348's etc..are really an "investment". With the exception being perhaps an early glass bodied 308. Keep the info coming...Thanks

8. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    BEST

ADVICE

EVER

9. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Preach brother preach!! ^5

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You'll need to remove the engine for the timing belt service - if you have a hoist, a good set of tools and mechanical skills, it's doable.

Buy what you like. I will keep my 328 until I can afford something older. Good reading here from Michael Sheehan, whose opinions I agree with 93% of the time:

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200712_SS

11. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    I'm a huge fan of the 348 and the proud owner of SS #64. Your opening post appears very similar to the questions I asked when I decided to go for it last year. I quickly learned through the pride of ownership that purchasing a 348 in the name of "investment" is simply self justification. When that beauty is sitting in your garage beconing you for "just a fast spin around the block" the investment concept quickly disopates and the short spin becomes an hour cruise. I think the question your asking is more accurately posed "am I going to lose money on this car" and the answer is "No". 348's have argueably reached the bottom of there depriciation curve and may be on the rise if you believe in NADA pricing. The last 6 months have shown an increase in 348SS value by nearly 10%. I'm betting the economy is going to throw a wrench in that but, its a start.

Your question regarding Challenge vs. SS is far more difficult to answer. Potential buyers of 348's have many considerations. Most seem to evaluate the cars based on cost, condition, last major, mileage, and ever been tracked. I know I did. Challenge cars from virtually any Ferrari series have the highest likelyhood of having been tracked and therefore scare off many potential "investment" buyers. The true value may then be considered reduced since the number of potential buyers may be more limited to those that truely understand the car and what "tracked" truely means. While that is most deffinatley just my opinion, it is the opinion that drove me to the SS model. That makes it accurate for at least one buyer, Me.

If your interested in a SS, there was one owner considering selling his specimen. see the link to his thread.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182162

There is also a thread detailing the SS registry. It can give you some understanding of where you might find one.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138385&highlight=ss+registry

Hope I've been helpful and good luck

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi Steve,

Due to time constraints I cannot at the moment really add much more to that which has already been said. However, I want you to know that the street Challenge car, while superior in a few minor ways to the Speciale, does not have the Speciale widened rear track. There is an easy solution for this, however -- wheel spacers from Ricambi America.

Also, please fill out your profile so that we know where you are from.

Regards,
    David

13. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"

Greetings--this is my first post (so please be gentle)! :)

I have been lurking here and I have been looking for
    my first F-car. I originally started out wanting a 308,
    then a 308QV, then a 328. It is tough finding a good 328
    so I started looking at the 348s; there are several good
    ones (seemingly) available.

I don't want to be impatient to buy one--I like the lines
    of the 328 but the 348 seems to have many "better"
    features. Some people say the 328 is more "classic" and
    some say buy the most recent car you can afford. I can
    afford either one--there does not seem to be much
    price difference. The 355 is out of my budget.

Any advice? I'm sure I will hear both sides but that's OK.
    Thanks in advance for your help. You are a great group
    and I hope to contribute when I can.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Blockhead : this question is fairly often asked here so a good few hours spent looking at previous threads will help as will taking a look at www.the348.com

Also an indication of your location might help get you more detailed advice on how to buy

15. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #17 Night life, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    That is breathtaking! Very nice!

If I go with a 348, I will probably go with a
    GTS, but the convertible is awesome!

17. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"

I did check it out--I suppose I was curious mostly why
    people decided to buy a 348 over a 328 (unless they
    are fortunate enough to own both!) or, if they moved
    from a 308/328 to a 348--why did they?

BTW, I'm in Northern California-- thanks--

18. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Whatever Bullfighter says. I'd go with that :)

Actually, I would like to get a 348 some time but in addition to and not in lieu of my 328.

19. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    You know, I think you need to buy these cars based on emotion, since there is no amount of logic that can justify purchasing these things. In my case, I went to the local ferrari "spring thaw" event and got to see all the cars in the person. The 348 really grabbed me visually. To my eye it is much more aggressive than the 328. I knew that was the one I had to have. Go with your gut :)

20. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    I mixed "gut" with "logic". Wanted a 328 ladder chassis, with sound 348 mechanicals, and 355 adjustable suspension / power steering. Ended up with a T Coupe. Result !

21. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    I've always loved the 348 and of course the 355.. but the 355 might be a little too pricey on the maintanence side for me.
    i love mine so much, i will never consider selling it, even when getting into another Fcar! you will not regret your purchase of ANY type of 348

22. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    +1. Time has proved the 348 to be a great car!

23. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I personally don't think the 348 will be a good investment like purchasing a Dino would have been 5 years back. But then again who knew that the Dino prices would more than double in a short space of time.

I would say look at your budget and keep about $8k aside for a 5 year maintenance and then find the best maintained car that you can. Honestly I would say that there is little difference in driving between a premium priced SS or an early model car with suitable add-ons (spacers, exhaust upgrades, etc).

Take my example: I wanted a SS car real bad in 2006 but my budget was around $50k and decent SS were in the late 50s/early 60s price bracket. To me that was an unjustified premium. So i settled for well maintained clean 1991 TS and have been a very happy owner. For the price of an SS, I have 95% of the same car with money in the bank for maintenance.