3.2 Mondial Cab. battery 66 A/h vs. 75 A/h or higher... | FerrariChat

3.2 Mondial Cab. battery 66 A/h vs. 75 A/h or higher...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 3.2Cab, Jan 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
    Hi,
    After approx. 7 years, I am now going to replace the battery in my 3.2 Mondial Cab.
    From what I have read on the forum, it looks like almost every part-time driven Mondial, has “some kind of” battery problem. So I wonder if I shall go for 75 A/h or even higher, 85-90 A/h…. (66 A/h has been specified in the Owners manual)
    I have no problems with the battery/electrical system, but to avoid possible problems in the future a higher specified A/h might be a good solution ??, or only waste of money ?.......
    Best regards
    Oystein

2. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    #2 mksu19, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :D WTF!? "(66 A/h has been specified in the Owners manual)" :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
    Ok Ken, if this is how you want to contribute on this web site, I assume you are better off by choosing another hobby. However, by reading your previous inputs to this site I am highly surprised if you have ever owned a Ferrari. Well, I have seen some spoiled idiots in a Ferrari before, so nobody knows……

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Any battery will do, realistically. Battery technology has made quite a bit of progress over the last couple of decades. The lowest CCA you are likley to find is 500. I put a 700cca+ battery in the testarossa, was about 110$. In the US batteries are listed by CCA (cold cranking amps available), not by total amp storage. Would guess a standard battery is about 40-50amps, based on how long it takes to charge from a dead state. On my fast battery charger at 12/ah it charges from flat to full in about 4-5 hours...

Perhaps you folks measure differently in Norway?

5. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
    Thank you for your reply.
    The possible problem might occur when using AC/NAV/Multimedia/daylights etc… I have been told that electrical problems can occur when “overloading the vulnerable el. system” So I my question was rather simple, ie. changing from 66A/h to approx. 80-85 A/h might have a positive effect ???

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    In my 3.2 there have been two things that have helped keep the battery happy:

1. A trickle charger
    2. When storing for a while if no charger available, turn off the battery ground using the round knob at the battery compartment.

Typically, in a stock car without any high amp requiring mods (stereos, etc) the amperage is not as much a problem as loss of voltage (thus inability to deliver amperage) over aging wires/connections in addition to 'slow leak' short circuits as the printed card circuits in the fusebox age and delaminate.

This is why you may also notice many of us long term Mondial owners hot for the improved fusebox hopefully coming out soon.

best
    rt

7. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
    I will go for the newly developed fusebox when the “commissioning period “ is over…..
    However, changing to approx. 80A/h will give a me “a little improvement” . Ok, if not, I will drop it….

8. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I installed a Red Top Optima in my Mondial 8.
    Charles

9. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
    I will go for the same solution, Red Top Optima, and when the newly developed fusebox is available, I will order one.

10. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    This spoiled idiot apologises!

11. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
    Ok, and thanks Ken, the war is now over.........

12. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Whew! :D

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    That was handled with ultimate class :) Oh, off topic - - Use a battery maintainer all the time as it seems batteries are happy only if they are fully charged. The charging system overall, is lightly taxed if the battery is on top of its game :)

Cheers, Hank

14. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    I've found that my little plug in at the cigarette lighter, voltmeter is worth it's weight in gold. At $20 US it's helped me avoid getting stuck away from home by driving around with a low battery charge. It's nice to look over at it while driving around and see that all is well with my charging system. I do wish they kept a voltmeter as part of the dash gauges.