Maranello, Florence, Siena trip recs | FerrariChat

Maranello, Florence, Siena trip recs

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rjkennedy, Jan 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Just received official confirmation in the mail from FNA for a factory tour in April. My wife and I will be driving from Siena to Maranello that morning. Any idea how long to allow for getting to the factory from Siena (tour starts at 10 am and can't be late)? Three nights in Siena, two nights in Maranello, then four nights in Florence (with a rental car). I've tried to search the previous posts for recommendations and have made reservations at Montanna in Maranello and La Giostra in Florence. Trying to balance the trip by not cramming something into every minute but also don't want to get there and regret not having researched sights, activities (besides the Academia, Duomo and Uffizi). Any excursions outside of Siena or Florence that might be worthwhile? While in Maranello, any recs. regarding going to Modena or Bologna? If any other links or suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Going April 17th through 27th. Follow up good news comes in the summer when the 430 spider arrives! Can't wait. Thanks again everybody for suggestions.

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I drove from Tuscany to the factory and it took 3 1/2 hours. We had an early time also, and getting through Florence, and other larger towns will be slower with morning work traffic. Also a ton of narrow tunnels where the truckers squeeze over on your lane. After getting off the highway, it still isn't signed very well, even with the factory direction sheet in our hands, so allow more time there also. Definately worth the drive, just stop at the gas station and have one of their potent expresso's and you will be there in no time. We didn't know that a lot of the local shops close from 1:30-3:30 or 4 for their lunch hour, so after eating and seeing the museum we couldn't buy any memoribilia before we had to leave, so plan around that. Have a blast!

3. dream355r

dream355r Rookie

Jan 24, 2007
    scotland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We are booked in on Friday 4th April at the factory and we have been advised to be there for 9.30 for the 10am tour.

Coming from Lake Garda and thought I would just use the train..

cheers
    Kevin

4. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    My wife and I along with a cousin went on the 10 AM factory tour this past October. The cousin drove down from Torino that morning and it took him about 3 1/2 hours because of weather (fog. rain) and he made it at 9:30. It took him 45 minutes longer than he thought and he had made the trip 5 times previously. He had been to meetings in the Ferrari offices but had never been allowed on the factory floor. (He's a retired Fiat safety engineering manager.) I had elected to get into town the night before and we stayed at the Planet Hotel across from the main gate. I'm glad we did. There was no available parking in the area. The Planet has an underground garage, we parked there free as guests and the hotel manager let my cousin park in the garage at n/c as well. The Cavallino Ristorante is across from the main entrance as well. We had a leisurely dinner there the night before, and walked across the street to the main reception area at 9:45. They are punctual. Rare in Italy!

If you have not planned your route yet, you may want to try this site:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Looks like 2hrs, 20 min from Siena

5. alessiogiorgio

alessiogiorgio Karting

Nov 24, 2007
    Italy - Sweden
    Full Name:
    alessio giorgio
    when you are in tuscany, besides Florence and SIENA, you can
    visit 2 wonderfull little cities as LUCCA and SAN GIMIGNIANO. to go from florence to Maranello you have to across the Appennini mountains. IF you take the highways, as usual, you pass near Mugello truck.....and when you are in Maranello it is very nice to drive the road to ABETONE pass - 1500 mt on sea level- that it is the road used by all ferrari factory drivers to test ALL the cars since 1948! it is a difficult and very fun road !
    WELCOME IN ITALY !
    ALEX

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

+1 on San Gimigniano my wife and I spent 3 wks in Italy last year and visited SG. Went back a week later because we liked it so much!!

7. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Check-out the following: http://www.motorvalley.it/index.asp?lang=1

Also, here's a phenominal hotel about 2 miles behind the Ferrari factory: http://www.cortedegliestensi.it/ing/index2.htm

The road from Sienna to Florence is a Strada Statale, a 2 lane no-toll freeway that can be jammed with trucks during the morning commute. The same thing applies once you hit Florence heading north to Bologna ... traffic! IMO, I would leave extra early (6am-ish) and if you arrive in Maranello early, grab an espresso and hang-out.

The 10am tour finishes around noon, right when the workers are letting-out for lunch (pranzo.) The last part of the tour is the final assembly line, which, if you arrive close to noon, will be shutting down. So, chances are you won't get to see the final assembly. That's why I always opt for the afternoon tour.

Also, bring a TomTom or other navigation device for your rental car. You'll be thankful a 1000xs over and save yourself a huge headache ... especially in a labrynth like Firenze!

8. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    It is much easier to stay at the Planet Hotel (planethotel.org), the night before. Why stress out. If you have not driven those roads before you are really taking a chance.You will need to leave at 5AM. You are on vacation... The Planet Hotel is accross the street from the factory. That is where you want to stay. Have dinner at the Cavallino the night before. You really do not need to spend 2 nights in Marenello if you are on a tight time schedule. You can see lots in in 1 day. I have been there twice and would not even think about driving from Siena the morning of the tour.

9. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #9 nerd, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I presume you have Florence hotel reservations made, but just in case may I suggest Villa San Michele in Fiesole: http://www.villasanmichele.com The Villa is in the hillside town of Fiesole with a shuttle to drop you into the pandemonium of Florence and then return you to the tranquility. Also assuming this is redundant, but reservations for Academia and Uffizi are must or risk waiting in line for 2-3 hours. Eat well!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't realize there could be a difference in the morning vs afternoon tour. I have put in a request to change our tour to afternoon but understand it won't likely happen. If I am unable to, we will likely leave Siena the night before for Maranello as it sounds too risky to leave in the morning with traffic/ roads/ the unexpected. It's unfortunate because I hoped to spend more time in Siena than two days. Can't shift the rest of the trip around to allow more. I will certainly look into the Tom Tom and towns of Lucca and San G. Thanks again for helping me fine tune my 40th Bday trip. Grazie!

11. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    OK. Everybody got me thinking about the drive and other towns so I just got done changing flights and hotels. Now we're leaving on April 12 and returning on the 24th. First four days in Florence, then on to Siena for three days, then two nights in Maranello, then two nights in Lucca. Plan to take the scenic drive from Maranello to Lucca by way of Abetone pass as Alessiogiorgio has suggested. I owe it to you guys. Thanks again, R.J.

12. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Sounds great. When in Maranello check out the Hotel Domus for a casual dinner or lunch. Great pizza!

13. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I collect my 599 form Maranello sometime in April, maybe we'll be there at the same time :)

14. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    We've got reservations at Planet Hotel 20th and 21st and tour on the 21st. See if we'll cross paths? R.J

15. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I probably won't know until quite short notice maybe just a Week or two before as i have to wait for the Factory to confirm collection date, i'll let you know

btw we did the Abetone Road last Year to Lucca in the 575 after the 60th Celebrations with 8 other Ferraris and a QP and also back in 1999 in our 328, a great drive :)

16. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I love the Planet Hotel. It is not fancy but clean and nice. We usually stay in the back in a suite with a view of the track. The suite does not cost too much more and they may give you a deal if they are slow. It has a loft and frig. You can buy great cheeses and wine at the supermarket just next to the hotel. In Firenze we stayed at the Bellevue House which is reasonable,central location, close to the train station, and quiet. It does have quiet a few stairs however. God I can't wait to go again. Have a great time.

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I am going to Rome in June and taking the train to Modena. Are there any trains down to Maranello from Modena, or should I consider bus, taxi, etc? I do plan on spending the night before and not getting into a time crunch.

Thanks for the advice on the tours, too.

18. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Mule
    We did the same thing. Train from Rome to Modena. There is no train to Maranello, but there is a bus. However it does not run very often. We took a taxi and was a reasonable price. Plan to do the same thing again this Sept.

19. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Excellent. Thanks, that was a hole in my plan. We are flying from Anchorage to Rome over the Pole, then a day and a half in Maranello.

Of course, Custer had a plan...