Car hauler needed - Philly to Boston | FerrariChat

Car hauler needed - Philly to Boston

Discussion in 'New England' started by Doody, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    Ladies & Germs:

I may be in need of transporting an old Benz from Philadelphia to Boston. My Jeep ('01 Grand Cherokee V8) is apparently not advised for such transport (nearly 4000 lb car). Please feel free to tell me that's BS - I'd like to hear that!

Can anybody recommend someone? I'm getting quotes from the big boys, but thought the collective wisdom here might be able to point out some useful, smaller, reputable, less expensive shops.

The blue book on the car is like $10K, so I'm not looking for ultra-high-end stuff - just quality work so the car gets from there to here without any drama.

The jerkwad MA insurance/licensing rules prohibit me from flying down and driving it back unless I get the title (i.e., pay for it) ahead of time, which I'm not willing to do at this juncture, so hauling it appears to be my only option.

TIA,
    Doody

2. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Oh com'on, you're getting a Gullwing and you want to keep it hush hush.;)

3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Hmmm...that's a tough one. A light-weight aluminum trailer, coupled with a sub-4,000 lb. car 'should' be able to be hauled by a V-8 Jeep. What's the Jeep's rated towing capacity?

Most every commercial car-hauler I've ever contacted wouldn't get out of bed for a single-car run - they want multi-car, or a 'round-trip'-style excursion where they pick-up and drop-off at multiple stops (for multiple customers), and they pick your car up along the way on their eastern leg. I was lucky to have called someone heading North from Florida after a Barrett-Jackson auction, and got a TERRIFIC last-minute deal from SC to MA - my 'lowly' 308 had a Carrera GT and a Pontiac GTO Judge as company for the journey. Now that Cavallino/PBSCW is over, transport trucks are heading north - perhaps one of the larger carriers has a free spot in their trailer, I'd call around.

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Try Intercity.com besides being the best they are based in your area. They should give you a good rate with all thier trucks returning to home base.

5. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
  6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree, Intercity is 1st rate. They gave me a very reasonable rate to ship my new to me F355 from Norfolk to Boxford.

7. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One from SC to BOSTON $450
    One from San Diego to BOSTON $995

www.aaat.com

8. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    This guy does a lot of work for me. He's delivering my Diablo to me tomorrow! (Yeay, new clutch!)
    www.yerarditransport.com

9. SHOTIME

SHOTIME Karting

May 28, 2004
    Fly out to check out the car and then rent a uhaul truck/trailer combo for the ride home?

Wont be putting milage on your jeep either..

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Andrew, where ya been? You bought the mighty wagons? Cool!

11. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
  12. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Slippery slope. Long story. BMW should have imported the 1995 M5 Touring Wagon in the first place.

13. JoeyM

JoeyM Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    RI
    Full Name:
    Joey M
    i think the max towing capacity for an '01 jgc is 5k lbs. if you use a dolly, it should be no problem.

here are specs on uhaul tow dolly:

SpecificationsEmpty weight: 650 lbs
    Max load: 3,450 lbs when towing a front–wheel– drive vehicle
    3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel-drive vehicle
    Tow hitch required: Class 2 (3,500 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating)
    Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8, (3,500 lb. minimum)
    FeaturesRatchet operated tire straps
    Vehicle security chains
    Easy towing AdvisementsThe vehicle in-tow:
    Must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs. if it is front-wheel-drive
    Must not weigh in excess of 3,900 lbs. if it is rear-wheel-drive
    Must weigh 750 lbs. less than the towing vehicle
    Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75 inches
    Note: body widths over 72 inches must use late-model U-Haul tow dolly
    (identifiable by silver galvanized color)
    Must have a maximum “outside to outside” tire width of 72 inches
    Note: outside tire width over 69 1/2 inches must use a swivel-platform U-Haul Tow Dolly.
    Low hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the Tow-Dolly during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
    Your towing vehicle:
    All SUVs must be equipped with a hard top. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle, not equipped with a hard top, to tow U-Haul equipment.
    Curb weight must be 750 lbs. more than the vehicle-in-tow
    Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height of 25"
    Must have external mirrors on both sides
    Must have fully operational lighting

whether or not, your particular jeep and the benz is up to the challenge is up to you.

other cheapest way is to rent a uhaul truck and dolly/trailer as previously suggested.

14. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    THREE??? You opening a dealership? LOL...cool.

15. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yeah, that is BS. For a one-shot tow, it shouldn't be a problem, especially as you're not exactly crossing the Rockies between Philly and Boston. Presuming your Jeep has a good hitch setup, you can rent an open trailer from UHaul. Just take it easy and slow, and you're golden. Alternatively, as pointed out above, you can rent a combo truck/trailer from UHaul. Did that to haul a Gallardo from LA to SF last fall. Painfully slow, but no problems.

vty,

--Dennis

16. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

I will share more at the next get together when the snow melts I assume?

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    There's Movie Night at Pizzaman's in a couple of weeks...if you can make it.