Bonneville: Can you just show up and drive? | FerrariChat

Bonneville: Can you just show up and drive?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by P1-EH, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm planning a cross country drive in my M5 in March and was thinking about stopping by Bonneville on my way to CA. I've read about Speed Week, but I haven't seen any info about whether the salt flats are closed or not to the public when it isn't Speed Week. Can I just pull off the Interstate and open her up there, or are there gates/rules etc that prevent this type of thing?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    good thread I've always wondered this as well!

3. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
  4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The course is on Federal land and closed most of the time due to the deterioration of the salt. That's why the place is open in August for the SCTA "Speed Weeks" event. Obviously it is open for organized record attempts (BAR, JCB DieselMax), but Im sure its not open for people to "try it out."

The scale of the place really is amazing! Also, when it rains, it takes weeks to dry out.

We had a lot of fun breaking (at that time) a 12 year old record with a 30 year old Fiat-Abarth 1000 Bialbero! 123.130 mph. I/GT.

5. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So do you think if I was driving past Bonneville the first week of April my chances of getting some flat out track time are very remote? I'm really hoping somewhere during my cross country I can legally open her up and have some fun.

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Doesn't Montana have roads without speed limits?

7. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I looked into this and Montana now has Max 75 MPH limits on its roads. It used to be "reasonable and prudent" until a court ruling struck down a ticket under this law. I don't think there are any public roads in the US without a limit now.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Nope, I don't think you'll be able to just drive off the Interstate (to the right, headed West), pump up your tires and hold the pedal to the floor! :)

Montana used to have no daytime speed limit in some less populated areas, but there were people fussing and they went back with the speed limits a few years ago. I would have like to have tried that... <very big grin>

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I did. Hit 150 mph in my 911 Turbo Cabriolet while on a cross-country drive outside of Billings.

You should have seen the look on the M3 driver's face as I passed him... ;)