NASCAR: Dale Jr. Stealing Media Attention From New Teammates | FerrariChat

NASCAR: Dale Jr. Stealing Media Attention From New Teammates

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Jan 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (from autosport)

Jeff Gordon says he is coping with the hype surrounding Hendrick Motorsports, but more specifically his new teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr, who seems to be stealing all the attention of the media from his teammates.

The four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion has been used to being the most popular driver with the media among the Hendrick line-up, but since the arrival of Dale Earnhardt Jr he admits he is being left in his shadow.

"Come on, man, it's Dale Earnhardt Jr," Gordon said. "Let's be honest that if you're not realistic about the fact that he's the most popular guy and the guy who gets the most media attention and that would be the case whether he's on your team or on any other team, but you treat him as if he's just one of us.

"We don't treat him like he's this hierarchy or anything. He's a race car driver. He's been very humble and appreciative about working with us and he's the same way and it's gone very well."

Gordon says he and his teammates have to accept the fact that Earnhardt Jr is the most popular driver in NASCAR, even if he has not achieved as much in his career as either him or Jimmie Johnson. He admits there is more than just hype coming with Earnhardt to the Hendrick stable.

"It's no secret that on media day last week at Hendrick Motorsports who had the biggest crowd? And that's just part of it," Gordon added. "That's part of it for Casey (Mears) and Jimmie (Johnson) and me. Jimmie is a two-time, back-to-back champion, and he has to accept that as well.

"But as long as we focus on doing our jobs behind the wheel and working as best as we can as teammates and as individuals, we're going to get the benefits he brings and also hopefully make our team rise to the occasion.

"To me, it's even more incentive to go out there and be competitive."

During pre-season testing Earnhardt has been among the fastest drivers in every session at Daytona and this week at Las Vegas. Gordon claims to be impressed by what he has seen and praises what his new teammate and his crew chief bring to the table.

"He's doing very well. I'm extremely impressed," Gordon said. "We know he's going to be good, but he was fast today and I feel like he and Tony Eury Jr. are a great asset to our organization. I've had a lot of fun working with him so far. He's fit right in."

2. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Massa syndrome?

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    No real news in this article. For some reason there's a LOT of people who are fans of a guy who really hasn't accomplished much. If Dale Jr wasn't an Earnhardt, he wouldn't have a ride.

4. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Earnhart Jr is a no body. Empty cans make the most nosie. If it was not for his dad he would be working at a Hess station as a cashier.

5. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    "No real news in this article. For some reason there's a LOT of people who are fans of a guy who really hasn't accomplished much. If Dale Jr wasn't an Earnhardt, he wouldn't have a ride".

+ 100....no way is he a "chip off the old block".Ironhead would have blown Gordon and Johnson's doors off it he'd still been racing.

6. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I expect him to do very well this year with the new team. Too many bad vibes with the mgmt at the old shop.
    He did finish the season in 5th place or better in 3 out of the past 5 seasons. Most guys in nascar would give their left nut to do that. He'll win the championship at some point.

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't follow real closely but have checked in more to see how JPM is doing.

Didn't Jr. have a lot of engine failures last year?

I also feel sad for those without enough available skin to ink in another 8.

8. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    It will be interesting to see how he does this year. No excuses on equipment now. Looking forward to the season, but even more so to see how the F1 season goes this year. I will be great to have more competetive cars and drivers up front! And no traction control. This is gonna be good!

Cheers!

9. drewsteriam5

drewsteriam5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006
    Mooresville
    As a side note, my History teacher said she had him as a student many years ago and he was pretty cocky because of his dad and his name.

10. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He is too busy doing Wrangler commercials, Putz!