Hyperflow Cats: Stradale | FerrariChat

Hyperflow Cats: Stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by Baasha, Jan 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Hello All,

Just curious if anyone has had experience with the Hyperflow Cats for the Challenge Stradale? I have "high" flow :)D) pipes and I'm really sick of the damned CEL that keeps coming on. There seems to be no fix as far as the OBD II error codes are concerned since that's what the technicians at a couple of the dealerships have told me.

Putting the stock cats is out of the question since the oh-so beautiful sound of the car would be lost. Therefore, it was suggested that I give the Hyperflow Cats a try.

Also, where is the best place to get these Hyperflow Cats for the Stradale?

Any help on this is appreciated.

2. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Hey Arun, No CEL error light with Hyper-Flow. Purchase from Daniel....http://www.ricambiamerica.com/

3. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    get an o2 simulator or a fouler on the pipe. You will have to thread a collar though if you go with the latter. PM me if you need help.

4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I'm curious what Hyper-Flow cats will do to the sound of your car, but I can totally understand your frustration with the CEL staring at you, so definitely shoot some before/after video of the two exhaust systems.

Good luck.

Frank

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have Hyperflows on my Stradale. They were put on by the previous owner. The sound is amazing - very much like the F1 cars. Fairly loud, but not quite as loud as the level capristo that was on my 355. BTW, the privious owner had the car dynoed befor and after the instillation and there was a 25hp increase at the wheels.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Thank you for the referral! We ship them for free, worldwide, too :) http://www.ricambiamerica.com/index.php?cPath=175

The downside of an O2 simulator, in my personal opinion, is that you still have the stinky smell and it's just one more "issue" to contend with at the time of sale. Do the simulators work? Sure. The CEL (for that particular issue) can be tricked off.

I realize the HF cats are expensive, but to get stink-free and 50-state clean-blowing emissions, with performance equal to straight pipe is something many people do value.

I switched from straight pipe to HyperFlow cats on my 348 too. The fuel smell on my clothes was just insane, and I got very weary of the cat-and-mouse game to pass emissions tests. Can't tell a bit of difference in performance compared to my old straight pipes.

7. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    bought my hyperflows for my 355 from gt auto parts in az for 800 a piece

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    have hyperflows on my CS for 2+ years , already bought them for my 430 spider which arrives in April, wonderful just do it + can recommend Daniel @ Ricambi too

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That's very surprising. To my knowledge, Bryan Performance Enterprises has never sold anything to GT Car Parts, nor could they do it at $800 without losing money on the deal. Are you sure they are genuine Hyper Flow catalytic converters?

10. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    With Daniel on this one, unless they like losing money on the deal or sold a used set.

11. f430vu

f430vu Karting

Aug 30, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Quan Vu
    #11 f430vu, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Frank, the next time we get together at SR you can hear my Hyper-flow cats on my 430. I think the sound is beautiful...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i considered high flow cats for my stradales last year. i love the sound of the stock stradale exhaust, and i know the high flow cats would add more volume. i knew a guy with a stradale who had installed high flow cats so i asked him if i could listen to his car before i made a decision. he not only let me listen to it, but he also let me drive it. i was very surprised at the very noticeable drop in low end torque. yes, the volume of the exhaust note increased and it did sound great. but the low end torque just bothered me too much so i opted not to install high flow cats. maybe i'm just being overly sensitive, but torque (especially at the low end) is just something i did not want to mess with.

13. Roughneck

Roughneck Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks for this post... i was considering this option myself until i read your post, now i will do alittle more research before jumping in..

14. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    i had them shipped to lindsey automotive in new orleans, they installed them for me. as far as bieng hyperflows and new, i asked the guy specifically about that, because i was suprised as well. he said they were, i dont think i asked jim lindsey the same question. so to my knowledge they are hyperflows, is there a way for me to tell on my own?

15. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Why not just order the factory parts the CS uses when sold in Italy? Then you get all the proper Ferrari engineering. I suspect this is how the car is supposed to be, and the US factory exhaust is a significant de-tuning. The only issue may new software that's required and any not-so-obvious parts.

I may be able to get some of the part #s that need to be replaced, as I had to have this "de-tuning" done in the US when I purchased a new engine from the factory. The dealer was required to do that on the non-US engine we received from the factory. I recall we needed to replace both exhaust manifolds as well as some hoses and valves. I don't believe the new engine came with the cats nor the muffler, so that would require some additional research.

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Loss of torque that's just BS, mine consequently has much more mid range and howl, in fact compared to my 500HP daily driver tuned 996TT that was exactly the problem with the CS, hammer it and it does nothing until 6K Rpm plus get the BMC or K&N's as well, now its massively improved at lower RPM, you feel the push in the back but its also ECU tuned as well, the whole package works fabulously

17. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    You can't just obtain the Euro exhaust for US cars - the problem is that the Euro cars have NO pre-cats as part of the exhaust manifold. US cars, however, have manifolds which incorporate pre-cats which in effect double the total # of cats from 2 to 4. Installing Euro exhaust manifolds will result in a CEL. Anyhow, I think it might be difficult to obtain Euro parts for any US car.

18. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh

richard.. big difference between US and Euro stradales.

19. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Hi Rick, I recall you bringing this up before and if I remember correctly you mentioned that your friends CS was not set up properly which may have resulted in the so called loss of torque. Also, wasn't the car in question equipped with Fabspeed cats vs. Hyper-Flow? Based on my research and conversation with tuners, it's apparent that not all high flow cats are created equal.

20. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    +1 My Fathers CS is MORE responsive with the Hyperflows. So much so that you really need to watch the throttle when the tires are cold. That said, the car ran like cr@p when he put the new cats on. He had to do something like start it, let it idle and not touch it for 20 minutes and then it ran great.

21. sp308qv

sp308qv Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve Ponzetto
    How about selling F-chat members the Hyper Flow cats at cost Dan, Where's the love? LOL

22. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    We did a stock 360 before and after dyno run with hyper-flows, Daniel has the sheets. I dont remember a drop off in torque. I have not had to do a CS yet but i think hyper-flow have that dyno sheet.
    One customer with a 430 mentioned he thought he lost a little torque right of the bottom, but a set of BMC filters cured that right up. I have found the exhaust plays a big part in how the hyper flows sound and respond. But accross the board more power, better sound and huge gains in throttle response.

23. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #23 slm, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, there has been a bit of bantering back and forth about the Hyperflows. As stated earlier, the previous owner of my car put Hyperlows on the car. He noted a very significant increase in performance. He had the car dynoed immediately before and immediately after the instillation. I have attached the dyno sheet. Green lines are before and red lines are after. I think this does show a very impressive increase in low end torque and Hp and 25 or greater increase in Hp and torque near red line. The ambient conditions were very similar and this was on the same dyno. I am interested in heariing everyones impressions. Sorry for the less than optimal reproduction, but with the colors on a white background this was the best I could get with my old scanner.

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Alex here from Fabspeed Motorsport, just letting everyone know that Fabspeed stocks the Finest quality 200 cell bolt on Catalytic converters for the Ferrari F430 and 360. Our catalytic converters are made from the highest quality T304 mirror polished stainless steel with high performance imported sports racing catalytic converters. They make Noticeably more power and much better throttle response. Incredible improvement in Ferrari F1 sports car sound. They comply with Factory Ferrari warranty and we have them in stock. Let me know if you have any questions about the sport cats or any other product. You can email me directly at [email protected]

Thank You and please check out our website www.Fabspeed.com

25. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    Would you mind explaining the details of complying with Ferrari Factory warranty when the dealers no longer wants to lower F430 or 599 because Ferrari is cracking down on what they will and will not honor as far as warranty claims? I just want to know how you are guaranteeing that compliance with Ferrari Warranty so that I won't have an issue after I have installed you high flow cats. Thanks.