Official Shamal Thread | FerrariChat

Official Shamal Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by redferrarispyder, Jan 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Anyone know or have opionins of the Maser Shamal? Post some pics

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    If it runs - ists bllody quick! Tricky is the weak mounting of the transaxle-gearbox/differential. I also found the car too soft on the suspension. And it sucks a lot of gas......! Its a rare bird.

Ciao!
    Walter

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    EVO magazine just recently had an article about cult cars such as the Audi Quattro, Lancia Delta EVO, Peugeot 205GTi etc.... and the Maserati Shamal was in that list. Only some 400 were made and they praised the car for its ridiculous power, short wheelbase, extra comfy seats and insane looks, its definately a car for the connaiseur, and i love them!

These late Biturbos will start having a following, their great cars and have that old school charm!

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Am not into those cars at all but saw a very nice one, dark blue or black when visiting Bahman cars near Geneva airport a few months ago.

They also had the best Quattrporte III you could want: 5 speed low miles and all those acres of leather in excellent condition: no wonder it sold right away.

5. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    I've definately been a follower for some time now :) Saw a Shamal only once in my life, during the 1992 (?) Dubai Car Show - wonderful piece of kit. Been a dream ever since (although being a car nut, one of many dreams :D).

6. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    Does anyone know if the Shamal was burdened by the same problems as the ill-renowned biturbo series cars?

7. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    #7 mont, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    UPPS!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
  9. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
  10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I found the car terribly underdamped! Also the diff.-adjustment is not very reliable. It needs a lot of work to get a Shamal reliable. But then its very fast!!!

Ciao!
    Walter

11. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    We have 3 in Portugal!!

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It has the original V8 that became the basis for the QPIV V8 and eventually that was morphed into the 370Hp for the 3200GT.
    The later cars were all much better than what you refer to as the Biturbo series but were they as well built as BMWs? No way.
    It's no cutting edge design as far the engine goes with an injection/ignition system that's well ... quirky in operation compared to good Japanese or German units.
    It's not prone to failure though.

The Shamal has the big upgrade in rear suspension design over the earlier cars that didn't appear on the others until the later Ghibli II (GT, ABS and Cup) series
    cars. The brakes are nopthing special. But it never got the improved beefier Ferrari designed (ala F456) ZF based limited slip differential that the later 95=>2000 cars did.

It's not as well balanced as a Ghibli Cup car as it's wide, short and very nose heavy with that V8 up front with a center line too far over the front axle.
    Has more torque though but slightly less HP than the Cup cars. Not as fast on the circuit.

Very wild to look at and I love em for that.

Spares for all these cars are getting worse by the minute and they mostly unobtainium for the Shamal when it comes to body & interiors parts.

A hood for a Ghibli II is currenlty over $5K in Europe if available.

Bob S.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I'm in love!

15. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Did Gandini design this? The rear fender arch looks just like the one on my Qvale.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes, though it predates that by quite a while. He also did the Ghibli II styling update to the 224V Biturbo based coupe which shares similar though toned down themes from the Shamal.
    The Ghibli II moniker was an unfortunate choice but the car was a grreat improvement none the less.

Bob S.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.

Attached Files: