RENAULT 2008 Makes Formal Introduction | FerrariChat

RENAULT 2008 Makes Formal Introduction

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jan 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #1 RP, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    (from autosport)

The Renault F1 team officially on Thursday launched their new car for the 2008 season, the R28, in an event held in Paris.

The car, which made its track debut last week at Valencia in the hands of two-time champion Fernando Alonso, sports the same colours as last year, with ING still the French squad's title sponsor.

Renault, world champions in 2005 and 2006, endured a disappointing season in 2007, finishing down in third place in the standings with just one podium finish.

The team are now aiming to return to the sharp end of the field.

"We expect to see the team back in its normal place, fighting at the front of the field," said F1 Team president Bernand Rey. "This is the target the team has set for the new car. On the technical side, everybody has worked hard to overcome the problems encountered last year.

"On the driver front, Fernando Alonso's return was an important boost. There is optimism inside the team and within Renault."

Alonso is returning to Renault after a troubled season with McLaren. He will be partnered by Brazilian rookie Nelsinho Piquet.

Technical Director Bob Bell said the team have pushed very hard in order to rectify the problems that marred their 2007 season.

"2007 was a very poor year by our standards," he said. "For 2008, there are high expectations inside and outside the team, and it is down to us to give the drivers a competitive car. We have put the problems from 2007 behind us and in terms of the car design, we have looked at the problem afresh.

"The team pushed very hard in all areas, and particularly on the aerodynamics. The front end of the car has come in for special attention with a brand new front wing and the front suspension. The rear end has also been heavily reworked, and we haven't neglected the basics.

"The car ran reliably in its first test, and we made encouraging progress on performance development last week. We are confident that the advances we have seen in the wind tunnel will be reflected on track."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I don't think the front wing is big enough, I like the aces on the back of Alonso's helmet tho.

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I like the car, its, almost NASCARish.

4. pbfoot

pbfoot Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    I was hoping for a return to the blue-yellow livery, but hopefully another contender nonetheless!

5. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    It's interesting that the nose is now where it started(down lower), what, 20+ years ago?

6. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Me too. I looks like the only livery change is the new "Pepe Jeans" logo above the sidepods on that yellow stripe.

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Looks like Alonso's been eating too many pies this winter! :)

8. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's ironic that he would have 2 aces on his helmet when he couldn't handle having 2 aces in the same team last year...

Maybe ace-deuce offsuit would have been more appropriate? ;)

9. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 barbazza, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I too liked the old livery better. By the way, who are they referring to on my daily desk calendar? Is that Fernando's Italian cousin? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    in the last pic of the new Renault launch, Fred looks like he's having a ****...

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    LOL :D

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice motor,funny Fred laying one down on his tyre Brian :)

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    maybe he's already worried about Nelson Piquet Jr? :D

14. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Wow, Pepe Jeans are still around?? I thought those went out of style back in the early 90's? :D

I too miss the old blue/yellow livery. Very easy on the eyes.

15. natural

natural Karting

Dec 28, 2007
    Croatia
  16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Car kinda looks like a McLaren..