Why are TR prices so low? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why are TR prices so low?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    What are TR Prices DOWN, simple I am selling one. If they where sky high then with my luck I would be buying!!

2. chuckkegel@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles R. Kegel
    +1+1+1

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ah. Got it.

4. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Pain? I don't think I mentioned any pain. I need to go back and review threads, but I don't recall whining either. It was what it was. I considered it a 'labor of love'. My tranny/diff had problems (I suspect) from a previous owner's abuse. My rather large repair bill included some other things (clutch/XOST). As I had an authorized ferrari dealer (FofCF) do the work there was a premium there too. I, like Shamile, will exercise my TR (sans the burnouts) on a regular basis. That's why we have them. To drive.

5. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I think you're correct on both these points.

I agree that you've got the order about right: The Boxer will be the very next car to rise - probably within three to five years. Overall, I think that the Boxers are just more desirable than the TRs.

Another problem with the Testarossas was that a lot of the wrong people bought them, and for the wrong reasons, during the "boom" of the mid to late eighties. Some yuppies paid three times the sticker price of the car, believing that they could turn it over rapidly and make a profit. This sort of artificial market inflation only works for a very limited time, and a lot of would-be investors who came just a little too late to the game saw their cars' "values" diminish by 2/3 practically overnight. Anyone who is old enough to remember that will probably approach a prospective TR sale with significant caution.

Too many Testarossas were made for it EVER to reach GTO values.

That said, there is the potential for the TRs to increase dramatically in value within about the next fifteen years. . .but not before we see the Boxers, then the 3x8 series, climb.

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Pain does not equal whining. If I had to pay 20k for the updated diff as you did, I would say ouch! In my previous post, I mentioned I have a cracked header on my roadster and that's sending me back $10k. .....like I said for myself....ouch !

I use central florida Ferrari as well...or as I affectionally call them....my F pimp :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

7. tng2000

tng2000 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Stan B.
    #107 tng2000, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Investment ? HAHAHA then go out and buy property or something. I have always wanted an "exclusive exotic" and at current prices, TR's are within my reach and I don't care what it's value will be later, if it does go up, maybe my boys can profit from it much LATER !.
    High maintenance costs......GOOD !, like I said earlier, the ratio of the cars value to repair cost will keep many away, and get them into the hands of the people who like them for what they are. I'm one of the lucky one's and have a natural talent for fixing stuff, especially cars...just not at the magical fabrication level of mk_e and his crazy flat 12 conversion, but hey, I can perform bodywork, paint, weld, simple fabrication, electronics, bla, bla...
    It will be soooo great when I'm able to drive down the road into a sea of mercs and beemer's and not see any other TR's or hardly any other REAL exotics for that matter......
    I just need my last stock purchase to do well, convince my wife to let me buy this car and find somewhere to put it.....that being said can any TR owners here supply me with the height from the ground to where the headlight door is hinged ?

T
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    OK...OK... maybe I did wince a little.

9. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

7 feet 2 inches.

It on the lift.
    John

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This probably varies by +/- 1/2" over the whole population just from spring differences (they sort for matched pairs) and some more for tire wear, but my TR measures ~24" high to the inboardmost end of the hinge line, and it's maybe 1/4" less than that at the outboardmost end of the hinge line (as shown in your jpeg) -- why could you possibly need to know this?

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Assuming it is not to settle a bet, maybe he wants to park it in a garage where the nose will have to go under some kind of storage shelf and this was a convenient spot to get a known measurement.

If so, don't forget to always turn those headlights off...

12. tng2000

tng2000 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Stan B.
    Dead on James_Woods !. I was measuring my garage trying to see if a TR would clear a large storage shelf that is part of my garage, when lifting it up on a hoist for storage purposes. I have a 9' ceiling but the shelf extends to beyond the length of the car and is lower. I'll have to do some more measuring but If it does fit it will be real tight. then there is the garage door which travels just below the storage shelf. I'd have to put the car in backwards and hopefully it would clear the shelf with enough room under it to park the wifes car.

13. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    #113 Lloyd, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On a similar issue I was thinking about buying an Enzo and was wondering what the measurement is for the distance between the arrows below. I want to know if I will be able to enter the car. I often wear a 10 gallon hat. (tng2000, I am just having fun with you. If I were you, I would tear down the shelf and rebuild the garage to get a TR. I might even take off my hat. Welcome to Fchat.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Depends on how excited you were about your new Enzo.

15. tng2000

tng2000 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Stan B.

ROTFL !!

16. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I plan on driving my '90 TR to the grave, at which time I could care less whether she's worth a grand or a mil. I just hope someone from my estate finds a loving home to take care of her when I'm gone...

17. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    +1

18. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
    I'll be buried in mine Cadillac Ranch style. Damn its snowing here now, another TR-less weekend. Anyone want to swap Sheffield for Florida?

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You'll need to check with Cuba, but I'm OK with the deal.

20. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
    Hmm San Diego v Sheffield....you got a deal :)

21. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Not lo loud I have a place in Florida

22. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Fascinating thread. Some interesting perspectives too. One of the things I have noticed as missing is the relationship between cost, price and value. It seems to me that the cost of running a TR has nothing to do with its original price or its current market value. In fact I suggest that the price of parts has nothing to do with their cost either. I sell aircraft parts, mostly for legacy (non production models) and neither the original prices nor the current prices of the parts have much to do with the the costs, then or now. And neither do they have anything to with value where an Annual Inspection can be close to the market value of the aircraft especially if few hours were flown and maintenance has consistently been short changed.

I agree with the comment that as these complex machines depreciate they enter the price range of the less endowed and get treated accordingly. So as one of the first Super Cars, the TR is now in the care of people who could not afford a Super Car on an equivalent price basis today and accordingly I think it's correct that they probably cannot afford its maintenance cost (at today's Super Car prices) either. That may disqualify most who would read this thread as by definition the purchase decision (or not) of a TR was a well researched exercise.

So with that said I would add the following to this quote
    "The reason why the Testarossa has a low value at the moment is probably down to three things
    1. It does not get the general vote for being "beautiful", which the Dino 246 certainly is. The Testarossa has no sexy voluptuous curves (which are timeless), it is a very sharp and complicated design.
    2. As it does not fit the current general taste, and because so many were produced, there are too many cars on the market for the limited few who really value the cars looks. As a result the demand is not there to drive the prices up.
    3. Due to the relatively low value it perhaps comes across as being a bit "obvious".

There is also the disadvantage that the Testarossa is more expensive to maintain than the V8s, however with a real thoroughbred this should not reflect on the cars value"

4. The car does not lend itself to today's show-and-tell purchaser. Its not a race derived model, had no race provenance and its best claim to fame is its Hollywood associations. And bling has never been Euro car selling trait.
    5. Its not easy to drive for a 1980/1990 model: unusual driving position, difficult sight lines; no P/S - so you really have to be connected with it to want it. IOW its deficient of intrinsic value other than the motor especially given the volume
    6. Another angle on (2) is that because people who own them do not drive them, the desirability factor declines in the context of price/value. Appraisers and other cognoscenti know there are 7000 out there no matter how good the condition.

Personally I think the "appreciating" or stable price (perhaps not value) F-cars are over for everything built since Boxer except for the Super Cars of which, unfortunately The TR is not one. I have a '92 512 and agree with all the reasons why its unique attributes are such fun, smile producing and energizing. And someday even the mouse belts will be "cute" the way Jaguars are with twin gas tanks and a switch. But anyone hoping to sell a TR in the next 10 years for more than the equivalent invested at today's invisible CD rates, is just dreaming. And even if you did, so what? Anything else would be just as costly and by then, with Carbon Emission licenses, fuel rationing, road access controls and the many things that will be dreamed up to keep cars off the road, especially old definitively smelly ones like these, you will be hard pressed to justify a hybrid Kia.

As some have said, drive it while you can - there will be plenty of time to park and admire before your ticket is punched.

23. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Colin,
    Very well said and without emotion.
    John

24. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    It goes on and on and on for 7 pages...........

I must rend this.....................................

Your all STUPID!!!!

.....................................................................Done.............................................

25. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    So I'm staring at my fully sorted, never been messed with, 308 that has papers, records, a rebuilt motor, that I'm into cheap, thinking I really need 350 hp. And I'm wondering why TR can be had for not to much more. Great thread- now I know. Please save me from myself.
    Cheers,
    Tom B.