ALMS Winter Test Days | FerrariChat

ALMS Winter Test Days

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jan 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Day one saw two 2007 pole records broken - P1 and GT2.

Congrats to Risi, their time was 1.247 secons better than Jaime's class pole. The #62 was a second faster than Tafel's driven by Muller, Farnbacher, Ehret and Tafel.

Audi was out in front with a time more than a second faster than Marco's pole for 2007. The Peugeot suffered a significant oil leak during the second session and sat out the third session.

Today was also the first running for the Bell Motorsports DBR9 which will be challenging the Corvettes.

ONLY 1 month, 17 days, 15 hours 40 minutes until Sebring!

Carol

2. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    I haven't been paying attention much lately. Why were none of the GT2 Porsche teams posting times?

3. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    Yeah, I am very curious what the "Porsche answer" will be this year, if there is one. If there isn't one...it is possibly one more (decisive?) nudge for them to race-prep the Cayman...

4. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great info thanks

5. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    3 Flying Lizard cars all 997's with updates. Porsche's main car is the 911 based car they won't use anything else, they feel they have made enough improvements to counter. One of the problems last year they asked for a larger tire and wheel size and they were required to add weight for going that way.

http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/02/01/three-flying-lizard-porsches-to-battle-ferrari-in-the-alms/

6. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    But have any times posted for the RSRs yet? Have they bridged the gap?

Porsche is famous for saying "never" until it suits them, and then doing exactly what they want. Losing would be very motivating.

7. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I don't think they were at that test. Myself being a big Porsche fan and owner I don't want them to lose, better for the sport if they win a few, a whole Ferrari field wouldn't be good either. I'm happy when Porsche wins and Ferrari too! I really don't see them switching to something else, they will make that car work. I really don't think another manufacturer could of made that drive train arrangement work like they have over the years, and I don't think it's dead yet.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Just received an email from Jennifer with Flying Lizards - what has been a rumor is NOW FACTUAL. Henzler did leave Tafel and is back to being a factory Porsche driver. Henzler will be with Patrick Pilet from France (2007 Porsche French Carrera Cup champion; French Formula Renault 2000 champion 2004;runner up in Formula Renault 2000 France 2003 and Formula France champion 2001) will be in the #46; Johannes and Jorge in the #45 and Seth/Darren/Lonnie in the #44. This is a VERY serious effort in GT2. Driver line-up for Sebring TBA later this month. The cars are 2008 911 GT3 RSR.

What a great year this will be for ALMS. Now the question remains will Audi contend the remaining 11 races with Champion Racing or pull out and will they even contend Sebring and will Peugeot come back for Sebring - that will be known in a few weeks. Joest is running the R10 at Sebring, if they return.

Lots of races to go to this year!!

Carol

Test day for them was 15 January.

9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So will Scott be able to get his photo signed by the guy who was in the car?

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I'm sure he will - he and Kim will be going to the race in Houston taking some loot. He got me one of the new Lizard 1:43 '07 LeMans cars (really cool Troy Lee design)to have signed. You'll need to get some more great photos of the newest entry for him!!! Are you coming to Sebring?? A friend of mine emailed me some awesome photos he took at the test session in Sebring of the Tafel 430's; Risi 430's and of course an R10 with Dindo and the 908 - beautiful photos like yours!

Getting excited about the upcoming series - ALMS, LMS and FIA-GT. Did you read where the ACO announced they had 88 entries (26 in LM P1, 15 in LM P2, 22 in LM GT1 and 25 in LM GT2 )for 55 spots for Le Mans this year - talk about awesome competition. On a slightly sadder note, I was sorry to read Cytosport (remember the Muscle Milk P1??) will be running LMS and pulled out of Sebring. Those had to be some of the nicest guys - always smiling and always said hi to you. Doesn't leave much in P1 if Audi pulls the cork, does it??

Carol

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I understand that Peugeot will be announcing on February 15th their plans for the year, including whether they're going to enter the Sebring 12 Hours. I certainly hope that they do, and the Petit Le Mans as well.

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Just read on a German sportscar site that Peugeot WILL be at Sebring. They are working on a heck of a good F1 driver line-up for Le Mans.

Carol

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Ah, and RLR brings BMW back in with the V-8 M3. Great news!