Masters work their Magic | FerrariChat

Masters work their Magic

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jrs, Jan 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    #1 jrs, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade JRS,

As you say, the results are truly spectacular and I have to say that whilst I am reluctant to allow anyone to touch my motor cars your chaps would certainly be the exception. And I must say that you really do have the most superb motor cars - like a pair of Purdy's!

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    smashing job, james :)

4. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Brilliant James, looks the nads :)

Loving the Porsche/ Stradale combo ;)

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    sorry but i think you are very LAZY getting somebody else to polish your car

6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Thanks for that numpty - It is much much more than polishing !!! You should know you had yours done a couple of times if I recall ( for FREE )

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    yes thats true but it was such a nice rare car and proper detailers wanted to do it for FREE

8. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Great job James! I must say however that whenever I get some free time(not often enough!) I find it quite therapeutic clay barring the paintwork then going over a couple or so times with some great detailing waxes-only use Meguiars products-my detailers swear by them. I have tried zymol as well-good but cant see(or feel!) the difference considering the price.
    Who do you use for detailing btw?

9. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Hi Alex
    It is Dave and Ian from www.sportscarprotection.com (who are sponsors on here ) . I also enjoy doing some polishing myself but what these guys do is in a different league and until you have them do your car once it is difficult to appreciate just how impessive the results are.

James

10. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade JRS,

I am wondering how they achieve such a superior finish. Do they use a buffing machine or some other such motorised device?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

11. Dave Z

Dave Z Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    In customers garages
    Full Name:
    Davie B
    Comrade Tea arse :D

Firstly we measure the depth of the paint on each panel this gives us an idea as to which panels are original paint , which have been repainted and or machine polished in the past. most importantly, it also tells us the thickness of the top layer of paint or laquer , so we know if it can be machine polished safely or not.
    Most top layers average between 30 to 70 microns (although you do sometimes find more and in some cases less ).
    We then set up our halogen lighting , this shows up all the imperfections , basically what you see on the car on a bright sunny day.
    We then do a 3 stage machine polish to remove the imperfections / swirls / light to medium scratches , finishing with a surface polish , which produces the depth of shine that you see in the photo's.
    We normally remove between 1 to 2 microns of paint / laquer and get around 95 - 98% perfection on the surface
    The highly polished paint then needs protecting , so we cleanse the paint to clean off any polish residue and finish it with zymol Royale .
    This is a 71% pure carnauba wax ehich bonds to the paint and protects the polished surface from the elements .
    The average car takes around 20- 25 hours to do .
    Hope that answers your questions