Why --WERE-- TR prices so low? | FerrariChat

Why --WERE-- TR prices so low?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #1 vincenzo, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Old myths die hard - time for some facts......

Shhh..... TR prices are climbing.... fast....
    Get 'em while you can.

10% per year on average....
    18% per year on the garage queens...

Way more fun than a monthly bank statement!

Shhh....
    Rgds,
    Vince

PS:
    The major is being done in my garage now...
    I expect less than 2k in parts (x-cept for the new hyperflow & x-ost system :) the last one was 7 years ago...
    Shhh....
    old myths die hard...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
  3. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
    The last issue of Classic & Sportscar tipped them as dead cert copper bottomed bet your mortgage investments.....so that's the kiss of death then :)

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Someone trying to boost the market in light of recent threads asking about low priced Testarossas?

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe CNBC can have a TR price ticker on the bottom of the screen. :rolleyes:

Rob's already arranging to get Maria Bartiromo to host the 308/328 section.

6. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Which Rob?

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Just wait when the 360s and 430s start unloading in the next 12 months....its gonna get worse.

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    No, not trying to boost the market... no need. My TR will stay with me 'till I'm old & decrepit. When the time comes, they can pry my cold stiff fingers.... Already had it 11 years!

But I am somewhat amused at how frequently folks on FChat try to talk down the values. It has been that way for many, many years here on FChat. The 'alternate' thread you reference is a good case in point.... even with clear proof that the TR market is on the increase (up to 18% last year) the alternate thread is still talking as though the TR value was going down to new lows.

Just a bit of solid info to dampen the 'glass half full' folks.

Rgds,
    Vince

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002

Glad to hear you're enjoying yours, and even better that you're doing your own major for about $2k! Don't tell too many others or it'll be harder for me to get one :)

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    With M's over 200k
    TRs seem a bargain !

11. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Well, if "Money Honey" is hawking it, I'll listen.:D

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The answer to the question of why TRs are selling for so low or why they don't command a high demand is an easy one and I can't believe no one has said it yet, but I will now.

There is a huge number of poseurs Ferrari owners. Since Ferrari started making them as comfortable as easy chairs then every one with money "needs" to have one, as if this was the arrival of TV sets, VCRs, CD players, etc.

Nothing but poosy ass poseurs.

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ouch! Say it ain't so....

14. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I mean people are into 360, Maranello, or if they got more money then 430 or 599... Why? Because those are the latest thing out, and they rather buy a M3, M5, an Audi, etc. before buying a real men drivers car for equal money like the legendary Testarossa.

15. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +1, Good point, I've seen the same thing.

16. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Yep. The posters talk down some cars and build up some others. There are always threads on the 308/328 forum about how 308s are rising in value. The TR is second only to the 348 for the most popular model to slam on Fchat.

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

I agree, you know why ?

Because most guys cant afford the air in the tires. The hole lot of them arent even owners....and the ones that are have such weak examples, they call them drivers....i guess they think everyone drives on 2 cylinders like them to pose around the block.

They think they are entitled to buy one of these for 50K and think they know it all....but as said by many, thats just the price of entry, and you have all these guys cutting corners on service because they really cant afford them, and then think they do a better job than the dealers. In very few cases is that even possible......... hobbists that love the marque and the car.....different people, those arent the ones slamming the cars....but actually saving them from past meat grinders.

18. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Cars with no issues and in top condition with low mileage will bring 90-110 canadian.

19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

This really applies to the 360 modena :D

You can choose from over 16000 copies made.

For me, there isn't anything interesting beyond the TR series in Ferrari. I've been going Lambo. I'm going to add a Diablo coupe to the VT Roadster and the TR then I'm done.

BTW

One thing is funny though. Everyone says that the early single mirror / knockoffs are rarer and going up in value....low and behold they are.

....we may not believe it, but what we say here really does influence the market.

....oh yeah, I pulled the NADA on my 91, $ 102,700.00 .....that's more like it. :)

...better hurry up and buy one or you'll miss the boat like the boxers! :D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #20 vincenzo, Feb 3, 2008
    Agreed – but I 'might' also include the Enzo. Even then though....

The Enzo has an aura of childish 'transformers' styling influence. The Enzo's designer (Kiyoyuki Okuyama) was no doubt influenced by this styling gimmick as a child in Yamagata.

Sad.

Il Commendatore would have pitched a fit.

The typical & newer Fcars are really 'great' cars - but they appear to have been designed by committee, not by Il Commendatore and not even by Kiyoyuki. Sometimes it is difficult to tell if Pininfarina is copying the Japanese makers, or if the Japanese makers are copying Pininfarina!

Really sad.

Lambo has done an excellent job. All the 'intent' of an Italian exotic, but now with the German underpinnings. Close, but not spot-on. Compare the Miura with the VT. Where is the soul?

The TR in my opinion is the LAST great Fcar with Il Commendatore's signature. The TR defines the '80's and sets the pinnacle of Il Commendatore's road cars.

Rgds, Vince

21. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    #21 Testarossa Lover, Feb 3, 2008
  22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

23. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Christ, finally someone that's a bigger assh*le than me!!

Kerry

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Practice up and you could be a mod someday! :)

25. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And ... those threads are self-serving rubbish as well. If anyone here thinks we're going to retire off the soaring values of a 308/328/348/355/TR, they're smoking something other than tires.

If people just enjoyed the car without worrying about the price tag, they might be happier. Truth is, I pull up next to some idiot who just dropped six figures on a BMW 6 series and all I think about is what he could have bought instead if he had any imagination.