Thinking about buying a 360 CS | FerrariChat

Thinking about buying a 360 CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by blockbuster, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    I am thinking about buying a 360 CS but don't know a lot about what to look out for and what is a reasonable price etc. Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1. What are the important features (or options) to look for (such as color combinations, racing stripe or not, radio or not, all leather seats vs alcantera seats etc. etc.)

2. What did they cost new (MSRP)?

3. Looks like asking prices are now about $180K to $210k. What direction are prices going? It looks like the weak economy and perhaps some owners trading their 360 CS for the 430 Scuderia might depress prices on the 360 CS somewhat. Do you agree?

4. What are the mechanical things to watch out for in a pre purchase inspection

5. I've heard they are noisy. That's probably lots for fun for relatively short rides. Does anyone have any comments on what it's like to go for an hour or two in a 360 CS from a noise point of view? Is it too much or just great!?

Thanks

2. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I bet they stay pretty firm, at least compared to the 360 Modena. They are much rarer than normal 360s, and seem to be in more demand by people who know what they are, and just how special they are. As mentioned in another post, I'm thinking of getting rid of my new F430 for a 360 CS. The CS has much more "smile" factor for me than the F430. - Tim

3. silversurfer

silversurfer Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Bobo
    Almost all your questions can be answered with a simple search in two places. The first being this forum and the second is inside your head/heart.

There are no real preferred options, this is a car that is for the enthusiast not for an investor. Don't buy a car based on what options it has, buy a car if it resonates for you. Many people would not give a second look to a no stripe car whereas I was only looking for a no stripe car.

Is the car going to depreciate because of the Scuderia, doubtful. Again with a simple search, you'll find that many people waiting for a Scud (or even already taken delivery) are keeping their CS's as well. I, for one, do not expect the CS market to go anywhere but up depending on mileage and condition.

My input on the noise (and I think I have one of the noisiest CS's) is that if you don't like a noisy car, why are you looking at a CS? You must love the noise, own the noise, and embrace the fact that you are now a guy that people will hear coming from a 1/2 mile away.

Take some time to search the forum...you'll find the rest of your answers are already provided.

4. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    +1

Can't add much to this.....I always find it odd that folks seek guidance about something which is a remarkably personal decision.

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    just for the record (i apologize in advance) it's officially not a 360 CS. it's a "challenge stradale" not a 360 challenge stradale. now that you know how "knowledgeable" i am on this subject you have to laugh when i tell you that my personalized license plates on both my stradales contain "360 CS". crap :)

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Not officially a 360CS but everyone knows its a 360 that happens to be a CS ;)

7. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I can't comment on values but I'm hoping they continue to climb as I plan to keep mine for quite some time. I can speak to the noise issue. I live in Phoenix and bought my car in the Bay area. I flew up there and drove the car home for about 10 hours, no radio. I did have a couple of ipods with me but really didn't use them for any length of time as I enjoyed listening to the car so much. It is certainly louder than the standard 360 and at higher speeds it is difficult to hear my cell phone. Just drive the car and see (or hear) what you think.

8. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway

i would go for alcantara interior, suits better, and no options. nice to be sure you have Large size seats unless you're tiny

check for clutch wear and brake pad wear in ppi

low miles holding around 200

high miles as low as 160 for 20k miles

original windows 196-225 for over optioned car

very noisy as daily driver, but i did it for 25k miles in various strad.s

9. MontrealCSfan

MontrealCSfan Karting

May 31, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Totally agree! +1

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Prices continue to rise for good low mileage (under 4,000 mile) cars. 225K seemed to be high and that is up to almost 230 now. There are more buyers than sellers for this popular model which has seen few available lately. As noted by some the 430 is simply too refined, thus the continued and for some repeat interest in the 'old' Stradale experience!
    CH

11. Yellow355

Yellow355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    A little off topic. Rick, were you following me to C&C Saturday morning? I really like the yellow w/ no stripes. If I didn't have a yellow F355, I would have gotten a yellow Challenge Stradale, BTW, the C and S needed to be capitalized.

12. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Nope...that was me.

Love the stripe!!!

guess the grass is always greener!

13. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    You guys with your yellow CSs........sheesh! ;)

On that note........drive them both to determine which one brings you more smiles.

14. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have a CS, and LOVE IT!!! To answer your questions...............

Look for a car that has been well maintained, serviced and has records. This is more important than miles. Also, attempt to get a car that is original paint, etc... As for features, there weren't many, but they were generally: Colored brake calipers, leather headliner, leather seats, leather dash upper/lower, leather rear shelf & doorsills, colored stitching, fire extinguisher, radio hi/fi, stripe, custom colors. Personally, I like the leather seats over the alcantara since I think they look better & wear better - personal opinion though. Get what YOU like.

Depending upon options, the car generally ran between 190-210 -ish +/-, but, I think it's more important what they cost now.

Recently, prices have been going UP on the CS. I don't know how many people will be trading their CS's for a Scud, as the availability of the Scud is very tight. I think people are realizing the 'uniqueness' of the CS vs a typical F430, and it's being more noticed because of the Scud hype. The CS marketplace is very tight, much more so than F430's. My crystal ball is broken now, but I do think the CS will maintain value better than a F430.

Overall, the CS is a GREAT car. Fairly reliable from almost all aspects. But, you should check paint depth w/ paint meter, check for service records, maintanence of the car, what has been done, general condition, how it was kept, etc... Have a PPI done. Also, check for clutch wear, brake pad wear, etc... In addition, at this point, you should also consider the major service (belts, tensioners, etc...) since it's about time on the cars. If it hasn't been done, you will likely pay to do it. Major service is about $5-7g's. Also, check the tires, since the availability of the Pirelli Corsa's is tight.

I am not a good perspective on noise, since I have Tubi ram air intake, Tubi air filters, Tubi straight pipes and a Tubi NGT exhaust. And, it's LOUD!!! But, I LOVE it that way! Aside from the exhaust, you do hear a bit more road noise as there isn't the sound proofing. I can tell you that I was initially concerned about the comfort of the CS vs a 360 when I was looking. After owning the CS, I can tell you that it's fairly comfortable (in sports car terms). And, driving the CS is amazing, so any noise concerns will be gone the instant you drive it. I have driven mine for several hours at a time, and although it's not as comfortable as my Toyota Tundra, it's sooooooo much fun to drive, you don't care and before you know it the time is up!

The CS is, IMO, the BEST modern Ferrari to date from a pricing perspective. Of course, the Scud may be better, but it's unobtanium right now.

You're welcome! :)

15. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    There is a Black one with 18k Miles advertised at $175k, miles seem to bring the price down but this is a very good colour

16. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Self serviced in Alaska without the service due ?

G

17. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    per Cig, the guy wants you to buy it as is, nearest dealer 2500 miles
    18 k miles hasnt seen dealer since foc at 5k

my argento had 17k mi last sale but complete dealer service history....

18. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Does the CS sound as good as a 360 with Tubi?

19. gpk

gpk Rookie

Aug 24, 2006
    Austin, Texas, Earth
    Tim,

Is your F430 that gorgeous one in Bianco Fuji?

20. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR

The Modena prices are dropping, some high mileage 360 are at $85k.
    CS is nice but will drop, all used Ferrari do this.

21. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Why not have both in Yellow? I do have Yellow F355B and Yellow 360CS.